Notices

Thoughts on these 996s

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 05:36 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts

At $83K you are approaching the price of a 997 Turbo coupe. I sold my 2007 TT coupe last year around this time, and although it was a Tiptronic and therefore discounted against a manual, when you’re in the mid-$80’s I think you could score a 997 turbo in the Ontario market.

The market is swinging back to a more normal seller/buyer balance I think, and I urge you to consider buying from a private seller. Although not all, many private sellers can tell you more about their car than most dealers can about a used car they are selling. Many of us keep track of the maintenance and service we undertake and have the documentation to prove it. A private seller is invariably going to be at a more competitive price point and likely will be more flexible on their bottom line.

You could try a “Want to Buy” ad in Auto Trader and Kijiji. Some who are considering selling their car but haven’t listed, may respond to your ad. They would rather deal with a committed buyer than list their car and deal with a bunch tire kickers and scammers.

The following 2 users liked this post by vetfever:
Greg981 (03-09-2024), sargon (03-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 09:42 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever
At $83K you are approaching the price of a 997 Turbo coupe. I sold my 2007 TT coupe last year around this time, and although it was a Tiptronic and therefore discounted against a manual, when you’re in the mid-$80’s I think you could score a 997 turbo in the Ontario market.

The market is swinging back to a more normal seller/buyer balance I think, and I urge you to consider buying from a private seller. Although not all, many private sellers can tell you more about their car than most dealers can about a used car they are selling. Many of us keep track of the maintenance and service we undertake and have the documentation to prove it. A private seller is invariably going to be at a more competitive price point and likely will be more flexible on their bottom line.

You could try a “Want to Buy” ad in Auto Trader and Kijiji. Some who are considering selling their car but haven’t listed, may respond to your ad. They would rather deal with a committed buyer than list their car and deal with a bunch tire kickers and scammers.
I sold a Porsche back in 2015 responding to a "Want to Buy" on Kijjiji. Worth trying.
The following users liked this post:
sargon (03-10-2024)
Old 03-09-2024, 11:34 PM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

I bought my 996tt from Vancouver 10 years ago. Had a ppi done by the Porsche dealership. Flew out. Saw the car in person and everything checked out. Bought it. Drove it to a train yard and had Hanson transport it via train to a yard in Markham. Flew back and picked it up a week later.

it was pretty easy, but I wish I had done the drive.
sargon (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 11:02 AM
Dupla
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

If you can afford the Turbo S, I would buy the Turbo S.
You are getting the Mezger engine vs the M96 engine which is known to have a lot of problems, like bore scoring, IMS Bearing, etc.
sargon (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 01:08 PM
sargon
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by whuht
I used Weissach in Vancouver, as recommended by Porsche Vancouver (they no longer offer PPIs). Scan also came highly recommended but I didn't want travel to the North Shore but for you, it may work out if you're having the car shuttled around. I was quoted around the same price for both shops.

For my PPI, which was just completed a couple of weeks ago, I received a 4-page report, a debrief/discussion on any remediation, potential repairs and services and cost estimates for any outstanding items. I can send you a copy if you're interested how the report is broken down. Fortunately for the 991.2 C2S that I had inspected, it was in near perfect condition with very minor items identified but the experience at Weissach was exceptional.

Good luck!
Thank you, I sent you a PM.

Old 03-10-2024, 01:13 PM
sargon
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetfever

I have been taking this into consideration and keeping an eye on the broader market. I don't want a Tip, either a PDK or manual so that means 997.2. As far as pricing all the 997.2 Turbo/s are abotu +30K.

One 997.2 Turbo S that has caught my eye is the following 2012, PDK, 55K at $129K CAD. Carfax looks good, interior colour combo may take some getting use to

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/...x=-1&modalXS=1
Old 03-10-2024, 02:25 PM
Dupla
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sargon
I have been taking this into consideration and keeping an eye on the broader market. I don't want a Tip, either a PDK or manual so that means 997.2. As far as pricing all the 997.2 Turbo/s are abotu +30K.

One 997.2 Turbo S that has caught my eye is the following 2012, PDK, 55K at $129K CAD. Carfax looks good, interior colour combo may take some getting use to

That color combo is gorgeous . + leather interior, sport seats, etc, etc. That`s a very well spec`d build.

Last edited by Dupla; 03-10-2024 at 03:42 PM.
sargon (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:46 PM
whuht
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you, I sent you a PM.
PM sent.
Old 03-10-2024, 09:23 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts

I was talking Turbo, not Turbo - S, so sure, add another premium....

Quick Reply: Thoughts on these 996s