Porsche and oil changes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2024, 11:31 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
Did you read what I wrote?
Yes, so "service" was supposed to include wheel rotation? Always had my wheels rotated when I would switch to winters (using my tire guy), so maybe didn't even realize the dealers as part of service were supposed to rotate the tires. Though you'd think they'd have to remove them to check/service the brakes.
Old 03-18-2024, 11:41 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

In my family, we never do specific winter only tiers. We run the all seasons that come with the car, and switch to nokian all-weather when they wear out.

Sporty cars are summer tires only, of course
Old 03-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 55 Posts

My son's mini came with 3 years of servicing included. When the warranty ran out, I started doing the service for him.

When I first wanted to take the wheels off, the car was maybe 4 years old, I had to smash the rims off by beating the tires with a sledgehammer. The rims were rusted onto the hubs.

In the warranty period, the dealer had never removed any of the wheels. So much for inspection.
if there wasnt a complaint regarding brakes or suspension. Unlikely the dealer would take off the rims. Just look at the pads and rotors and move on.
Old 03-18-2024, 12:31 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 679 Posts

I wonder how many need an app to tell them when it's time to put on a new roll of TP or when to shave your face.

I have a chart (printed on genuine paper with real ink) on my bulletin board in my garage (yes, an actual physical bulletin board from the Roman empire days) listing all the maintenance/repairs I've done on all my vehicles and equipment. I can just look at it, compare it to the mileage indicated on my odometer, and instantly know when the next oil change is due. It even works during a blackout. It's an amazing piece of technology and the firmware never needs to be updated.
The following users liked this post:
M. Essaie (03-19-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 12:34 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

Originally Posted by Cityfisher
if there wasnt a complaint regarding brakes or suspension. Unlikely the dealer would take off the rims. Just look at the pads and rotors and move on.
yup
100%
Old 03-18-2024, 12:51 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yup
100%
So in the 3 years of the mini free service, they did not rotate the tires or do the brake fluid. My wife's alltrack they bug me to do the tire rotation every year, but then, I'd be paying

One of the many reasons why it's always better to do your own service

My son came over yesterday and we did the oil chg on his mini. Some nice father son time, and he stayed for supper

Last edited by reacp911; 03-18-2024 at 12:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pbcsd (03-18-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 01:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

So in the 3 years of the mini free service, they did not rotate the tires or do the brake fluid. My wife's alltrack they bug me to do the tire rotation every year, but then, I'd be paying

One of the many reasons why it's always better to do your own service

My son came over yesterday and we did the oil chg on his mini. Some nice father son time, and he stayed for supper
Car service shrinkflation free service was built into the price, they just reduced what they gave you lol.
Old 03-18-2024, 05:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
When it comes to you guys and your newer cars , how do you use this technology ? do you use it at all ?
Nope simply because I do not drive my DD or my Porsches that often. The oil gets changed once a year and especially before storage.

My last oil change on the Porsche had 1301 kms on it of Mobil Synthetic. Do I care; nope! When my PM takes less carbon flights, I'll start to care.

Quick Reply: Porsche and oil changes