Notices

Do you hide your Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2024, 09:12 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 491 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I think it would be ludicrous to hide your car for any reason. If you're being hit with a "Porsche tax" it's because you haven't done your homework and know the price of products or services, or you don't know how to negotiate. I once had a large developer client, and the CEO/owner queried me about my driving a 911 to the job site (I did marketing/app dev for them). He didn't want people to know what he owned, so he always used a company truck. "You think your workers don't know you have a McLaren? I've had multiple conversations about my car...and yours...with your people. You should bring it to the site and use it as a way to engage them in discussion." Next day he brought the McClaren to the site.

Drive your car or don't. Hiding it like some wuss because you're afraid of what people will think or do is nuts.
I can see Calgarians share the same qualities like Texans.

I don't think what you said applies to Torontians where it's more like a rat race.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:24 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,609 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Originally Posted by Paseb
i agree, some new kia or what ever brand are more expensive then a few years old macan/cayenne
Thats true, but perceptions are still perceptions. I get “nice car” often enough, but driving my $25k 911, some people still think I’m rich…
Old 03-06-2024, 02:24 AM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 55 Posts

I use my $25k 996 911 all the time on construction sites as a third party inspector. It's at a comical point know where I routinely get grilled about a driving a porsche from some guys in a $120k loaded duramax / platinum f250 etc that isn't doing anything other then going around doing quotes.

The following 2 users liked this post by Aluffman:
damage98MO (03-06-2024), reacp911 (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 08:49 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,128 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I think it would be ludicrous to hide your car for any reason. If you're being hit with a "Porsche tax" it's because you haven't done your homework and know the price of products or services, or you don't know how to negotiate. I
I'd say you are wrong here without additional context.

Just because you get a quote doesn't mean you accept the quote. If you sole source quotes for major work that you don't know the reasonable cost for, then bad on you.

In my example, I had no interest working with somebody who inflates their price to only drop it when called out. Poor ethics, which I despise. But my process involves multiple quotes for costly work. Just didn't appreciate wasting my time meeting with them.

Hiding the vehicle can help remove the potential for an inflated quote and waste of time meeting with that contractor.

Old 03-06-2024, 08:58 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

I just got a quote for $8800 to remove and replace 75 sq ft of floor tile in a bathroom. Not including tile. removing a small bathroom vanity and toilet was also part of the job and reinstalling it. What a joke. No interest in negotiating that, see my comment above about ethics.

Did seeing my race sim and 930 parts play a role, he certainly looked around and noticed these things to talk about them. and maybe he's so busy that he won't work for anything less. etc

Unfortunately you don't know the quote until you get the quote.

It's so nice to have a reliable reasonable contractor that you can call. Mine shut down years ago, fortunately after most work was done.

Old 03-06-2024, 09:05 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aluffman
I use my $25k 996 911 all the time on construction sites as a third party inspector. It's at a comical point know where I routinely get grilled about a driving a porsche from some guys in a $120k loaded duramax / platinum f250 etc that isn't doing anything other then going around doing quotes.
I thought about hiding my loaded 2500 Sierra duramax. Should have. Contractors would know about truck costs. I didn't bother for the above tile quote.
Old 03-06-2024, 09:11 AM
Lemarp
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Absolutely. When I was getting quotes for my garage, one of the contractors I was getting a quote from showed up 20mins early, just as I was about to move mine down the road.

His quote for my 1 car detached garage in 2018 ended up being $120K + disposal (base cost and extra for upgrades).
Old 03-06-2024, 09:27 AM
STALKER99
Three Wheelin'

Received 224 Likes on 145 Posts

I’m not a contractor but a high end residential builder.

What a client drives has absolutely no impact on pricing as my business is mainly built on referrals and pricing is straight off a formula and architectural/structural plans which we share with clients.

Always get the price fully broken down if possible and lots of references.

The following 2 users liked this post by STALKER99:
.2PDK (03-06-2024), gcurnew (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:11 AM
Dupla
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

The best part is that most of the contractors show up in 100K+ pickup trucks (like others have mentioned) worth a lot more money than my cars.
They see the BMW & Porsche badges and they just assume that you are rich.
I`m poor . If I was rich I would be driving a 100K+ truck like you
The following 3 users liked this post by Dupla:
997turbocab (03-06-2024), MKC91 (03-07-2024), Rubystar (03-15-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 10:14 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,207 Likes on 728 Posts

The only time I hid my pcars was when my wife was mad at me.

So most of the time...
The following 5 users liked this post by .2PDK:
911 Rod (03-06-2024), 997turbocab (03-06-2024), dml (03-06-2024), MKC91 (03-07-2024), Thicc911Turbo (03-07-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 12:34 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 971 Likes on 584 Posts

I am a contractor and we don’t adjust our prices because of what kind of wealth you appear to have.

Anyone that does that is an amateur.

Our prices are set where they need to be and everyone pays the same. The only time we change our pricing is if there are other challenges, like logistics, access, etc.

To think you’d goto a prospective clients house and increase your quote because of the car they have is a scammy rip off type of person, embarrassing. We are more about doing high quality work for a fair price and earning your referral to more of your friends that appreciate good, fair work.

You need to find better contractors if this is the experience you’ve had. But on the other hand if you’re shopping the utterly lowest price type of guy, this is the type of contractor you’ll expose yourself to.

I actually have the opposite problem. I tend to hide my cars from my clients. I don’t want them to think we are ripping them off. People still have the mental bias where they think only Drs and Lawyers should make money…

Last edited by Angryinch; 03-06-2024 at 12:39 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by Angryinch:
.2PDK (03-06-2024), damage98MO (03-06-2024), gcurnew (03-06-2024), MKC91 (03-07-2024), RealityGT (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:35 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Angryinch
I am a contractor and we don’t adjust our prices because of what kind of wealth you appear to have.…
Liked Where are you located ? May be I will call you for a quote
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,062 Likes on 757 Posts

I am a contractor and we don’t adjust our prices because of what kind of wealth you appear to have.

Our prices are set where they need to be and everyone pays the same. The only time we change our pricing is if there are other challenges, like logistics, access, etc.

To think you’d goto a prospective clients house and increase your quote because of the car they have is a scammy rip off type of person, embarrassing. We are more about doing high quality work for a fair price and earning your referral to more of your friends that appreciate good, fair work.

You need to find better contractors if this is the experience you’ve had. But on the other hand if you’re shopping the utterly lowest price type of guy, this is the type of contractor you’ll expose yourself to.

I actually have the opposite problem. I tend to hide my cars from my clients. I don’t want them to think we are ripping them off. People still have the mental bias where they think only Drs and Lawyers should make money…
its always high .,.. we don't adjust down just because you are poor !!!!

awe come on i kid , i kid ,... lol
The following users liked this post:
Angryinch (03-06-2024)
Old 03-06-2024, 01:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Amazing if you do that. Many do not.

I hate searching for contractors....mixed bag.

But on the other hand if you’re shopping the utterly lowest price type of guy, this is the type of contractor you’ll expose yourself to.
Unfortunately you don't get the quote until they come and create one. It's not about shopping for the lowest number. How can you when you don't have a quote?! By the quote point they've been to your house and have quoted. I think a couple of you are missing the point.

Old 03-06-2024, 01:50 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 293 Likes on 201 Posts

Please explain to me how this does not work both ways.

Quick Reply: Do you hide your Porsche?