Notices

Porsche Connect in Canada

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 05:14 PM
tvdt
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Porsche Connect in Canada

Just wondered if anyone has been able to solve this and if there is a way to influence Porsche Canada to provide a Data package for Porsche Connect, or to get Rogers to enable their eSim to act as a Internet Hotspot...

3 years ago when I got my Taycan 4S, I was pleasantly surprised to see Porsche Connect up and running so I can remotely access the PCM (although little you can do), listen to Online Radio, get Traffic Updates, Weather info, Calendars, etc. and it even has a 'Hotspot'. However, trying to connect my Dashcam to the hotspot wouldn't work, nor could any of my passengers access the Internet with their phone. My assumption is the Rogers blocks this. As do other Canadian providers providing data-only Sims.
When we got our 2023 Macan S, a built-in eSim was not provided, but it does have a slot for an external SIM card, so you can subscribe to Porsche Car Connect (via a Vodafone Porsche Car Connect subscription) to get the Porsche Connect functionality (via the Porsche Connect Store). So would a hotspot work? After trying my data-only SIM cards (from Telus), I soon found out tethering was blocked. But I found a workaround - there are some prepaid SIM cards (bought one on Amazon -EOIT Club) (I turns can perfectly act as hotspots (using Roaming). My dash cam now connects to that happily, and my passengers can happily surf the internet using the car's wifi.
Anyway, I now have my new Targa, and it comes with the same Porsche Connect as the Taycan, with a built-in Rogers subscription - and of course no slot for an external Sim card - and it sucks not to be able to connect the dash cam or other devices. Of course I can do hotspotting with my phone - but then I get into issues with (wireless) Apple Car Play.

I asked my dealer to follow up on a data package (I think his is available in the US?) but I doubt this will be successful. Any similar experiences?
Old 02-20-2024, 05:26 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Have you emailed Porsche Canada?
Old 02-20-2024, 05:27 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 227 Posts

I have an empty SIM card slot in my car but I haven't bothered to put a SIM in to try. Does your prepaid SIM let you access Porsche connect features (get tire pressure, location, etc) without a Porsche Car connect subscription ?

Last edited by lowbee; 02-20-2024 at 05:33 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 06:12 PM
tvdt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lowbee
I have an empty SIM card slot in my car but I haven't bothered to put a SIM in to try. Does your prepaid SIM let you access Porsche connect features (get tire pressure, location, etc) without a Porsche Car connect subscription ?
I'm not sure - Vodafone Porsche Car Connect requires activation by the dealer and a Porsche ID. If this will work might depend on the PCM (year/model) you have. Older cars had a sim slot just to use the PCM as a hands-free phone. I would think if you have a MyPorsche account, it will tell you if you can have the Vodafone service.
So for my Macan, I subscribe to Vodafone Car Connect Services as well as a Porsche Connect Navigation and Infotainment package (you can use the latter using your phone's hotspot - but your phone needs to be in the car).
Old 02-20-2024, 06:14 PM
tvdt
Rennlist Member

Maybe I should just try that - I did call their service desk about Porsche Connect a long time ago and found they had very little understanding of the topic.
Old 02-20-2024, 07:20 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 402 Posts

I have Porsche connect in all Porsches and I rarely use the thing. Once I have set up the memory features I just use AppleTalk and Waze as my interface. Personally would love to have car be just receptacles for apps on the phone.
Old 02-20-2024, 08:03 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,121 Likes on 731 Posts

Connect has some nice fencing features along with status.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:47 PM
KenTO
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 199 Posts

I tried to get the hotspot working in my Taycan, seemed to complicated to do, I just use CarPlay and too bad for my passengers.

Quick Reply: Porsche Connect in Canada