Notices

OT - Spam Calls - 437, 438

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 11:12 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
yeah that's what i thought .. I have the galaxy and its a fantastic feature.. it pops up immediately and tells you suspected spam as its ringing.. if you get one that doesnt and you find out its spam its a one or two button press to report it and its added to the database..

great feature.
Indeed it is. The only challenge with it nowadays is that more and more spam / scam calls spoof the caller ID numbers, hence the feature only blocks known, legit telemarketers that operate lawfully. The real scammers will likely use a random number from the same area code, and often with the same first three digits as your own number.
Old 10-20-2023, 09:14 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Out of curiosity has anyone else in the GTA (or other) been receiving a large number of spam calls.

Cheers
Paul, I used to have a Tele-Screen for many years till it finally failed on me. Callers would have to enter a 4-digit code for my phone to ring. Friends would have that code. Spammers ended up looking for a bridge to jump off of.

Now I just get downright rude to the extreme...lots of F words and I belittle them. Let me spoil their day. When spammers start paying for my phone, them maybe they can call me to sell me their s**t duct cleaning in some accent I can hardly understand.

Then you get the ones coming to your door when you have a sign saving "No Peddlers or Soliciting". When the doorbell rings, I stick my head out and point to the sign and say "Do we have a learning disability?". Spammer starts with "But I thought...". I quickly respond: "No, you don't have to think, all you need to do is read the effing sign right next to the doorbell". I might start wearing my handgun in the shoulder holster when I open the door.
The following users liked this post:
Adamant1971 (10-20-2023)
Old 10-21-2023, 03:37 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
Makes me wonder what ever happened to the Do Not Call Registry

Old 10-21-2023, 03:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 694 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by DDzPorsche
Makes me wonder what ever happened to the Do Not Call Registry and how much money was/is being wasted there?

And that is exactly why many scammers aka maggots with no life call from outside of Canada where the No Call Registry does not apply. In fact even businesses you deal with can call you to sell you their crap...like Rogers, your banks, etc. I believe charites can call. I am still waiting for a call from Zelensky so he can line his pockets.

You know in todays high-tech age there is no reason why phones cannot have one piddly GB of memory where you would enter all the phone numbers of friends and people you know into them, where if they call, your phone would ring and others would not ring and go to file 13.

Just two days ago the Diabetes Society called. I told her to FO.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-21-2023 at 03:49 PM.

Quick Reply: OT - Spam Calls - 437, 438