981 S pricing

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 11:40 PM
TypeZero
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 S pricing

Hi everyone,
Kind of new here. Registered 7 years ago and today would be my first post.

Been looking at the 2014-2016 Cayman S pre-pandemic and looking at them again recently, I'm not sure whether they are still worth the price they're listed for so wanted to get your expert opinions here.

Looking strictly in the Canadian market, found a nice 2014 S for $65k with 60k kms mileage, well kept. In general, I've found most 981 S with low mileage and well kept to be listed at around mid 60s to mid 70s CAD, while the GTS are going for over $90k CAD. The 718 S are in the mid 70s to mid 80s but with the turbo 4, a less desirable engine.
I used to use VMR Canada for reference, but ever since covid and the shortage, I don't think that model is accurate anymore. I've tried doing a search, but didn't find much aside from multiple threads saying this is the worst time to buy a car, but it seems like it was the case for the past year and prices have only dropped ever so little.
My gut is saying to wait as more hikes will probably lead to more defaults or people have to sell their toys to pay for other bills, but I want to hear from you guys.

I'm currently driving a GR Corolla Circuit Edition and the trade in value is kind of shocking.

Thanks
B
Old 09-11-2023, 10:04 AM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Know what you want: colour, options, condition. Find an indy that can work with you for a PPI. When you find a vehicle that checks enough of the boxes do a PPI, buy it and drive it hard.

You might save a few thousand waiting if you want to chase a deal but you may lose the opportunity finding a car that checks all your boxes.

Personally been through the entire 981 vs 718 debate. Both are great cars and it's good you have your targets set on one.
Old 09-11-2023, 04:57 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

I looked all thru 2020 for a 981S in the colours I wanted. I gave up and ordered a new 718 Boxster. 2016 is now an 8 year old car. I did a dealer flow thru trade and saved on tax.

From the 981S's I drove, the 718 base feels more powerful, but the older car sounds better.
Old 09-11-2023, 10:20 PM
TypeZero
6th Gear

Yea, I don't really mind 981 S or 718 S, either is fine but the pricing is just crazy. Crazy the one I'm looking at is a 2014, yikes.
Old 09-12-2023, 01:52 AM
mpower1226
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TypeZero
Hi everyone,
Kind of new here. Registered 7 years ago and today would be my first post.

Been looking at the 2014-2016 Cayman S pre-pandemic and looking at them again recently, I'm not sure whether they are still worth the price they're listed for so wanted to get your expert opinions here.

Looking strictly in the Canadian market, found a nice 2014 S for $65k with 60k kms mileage, well kept. In general, I've found most 981 S with low mileage and well kept to be listed at around mid 60s to mid 70s CAD, while the GTS are going for over $90k CAD. The 718 S are in the mid 70s to mid 80s but with the turbo 4, a less desirable engine.
I used to use VMR Canada for reference, but ever since covid and the shortage, I don't think that model is accurate anymore. I've tried doing a search, but didn't find much aside from multiple threads saying this is the worst time to buy a car, but it seems like it was the case for the past year and prices have only dropped ever so little.
My gut is saying to wait as more hikes will probably lead to more defaults or people have to sell their toys to pay for other bills, but I want to hear from you guys.

I'm currently driving a GR Corolla Circuit Edition and the trade in value is kind of shocking.

Thanks
B
if you dont mind sharing, what was the trade in value for the gr corolla? Ive been wanting one to use as a daily for a whiel
Old 09-12-2023, 10:11 PM
TypeZero
6th Gear

I've only seen wholesale price on the Core for $55k ish. Circuit I'd expect a bit more.
Old 09-13-2023, 01:44 AM
mpower1226
Instructor

I've only seen wholesale price on the Core for $55k ish. Circuit I'd expect a bit more.
interesting that dealer actually offered more than msrp. I guess we live in funny times where a civic costs 70k and corrolla costs 60k…lol
Old 09-13-2023, 04:06 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by mpower1226
interesting that dealer actually offered more than msrp. I guess we live in funny times where a civic costs 70k and corrolla costs 60k…lol
right now, my 2001 986s boxster that i bought back in 2009 for $25Kcdn (taxes, tariffs, RIV, out the door/on the road) seems like a good deal.... This is my 14th year with it....
Old 09-13-2023, 06:42 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

There's what appears to be a very clean 40k 2016 981 GTS for $84k in Toronto on FB marketplace right now.

If you're concerned about depreciation, I personally think it's worth pushing the extra $10-15k to get the GTS as it will hold its value more than any S.

As for timing, it's like buying a house - people have been sitting on the fence for years thinking the insanity can't continue - but it does. You can't time it. Values may dip a little if the over-leveraged have to liquidate their toys, but these things aren't going to catastrophically crash overnight. And as you've seen, values can just as easily remain static or climb.
If you can afford it comfortably without having to finance or make sacrifices, do it.

As for the GR, yeah, you'll get hosed on the trade-in. You'll do better trying to sell it to an enthusiast over on the Toyota equivalent of Rennlist. Sadly you'll get tire-kickers aplenty, you have to work out if the gain over trade value is worth the hassle.
Old 09-13-2023, 10:23 PM
TypeZero
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Biscuits704
There's what appears to be a very clean 40k 2016 981 GTS for $84k in Toronto on FB marketplace right now.

If you're concerned about depreciation, I personally think it's worth pushing the extra $10-15k to get the GTS as it will hold its value more than any S.

As for timing, it's like buying a house - people have been sitting on the fence for years thinking the insanity can't continue - but it does. You can't time it. Values may dip a little if the over-leveraged have to liquidate their toys, but these things aren't going to catastrophically crash overnight. And as you've seen, values can just as easily remain static or climb.
If you can afford it comfortably without having to finance or make sacrifices, do it.

As for the GR, yeah, you'll get hosed on the trade-in. You'll do better trying to sell it to an enthusiast over on the Toyota equivalent of Rennlist. Sadly you'll get tire-kickers aplenty, you have to work out if the gain over trade value is worth the hassle.
Man, why Red? Otherwise that looks very solid!

The GR, someone got $57k for trade in for a Core model last month, so these are still sought out by dealers. What it is now is anyone's guess. Haven't made the time to email bomb used car managers yet.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:09 PM
mpower1226
Instructor

Yea, I don't really mind 981 S or 718 S, either is fine but the pricing is just crazy. Crazy the one I'm looking at is a 2014, yikes.
well what is your budget? Your GRC plus 100k and i will give you my 718 GT4
Old 09-27-2023, 08:58 PM
Der Stig
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went through a similar process. Although - I had been on the hunt for a 981 Boxster S or GTS. I realize the Cayman carries a premium over the Boxster, but I think many of the same factors apply.

I think that 981 prices bottomed somewhere in 2019 and are now on the way up. I doubt they will drop from here. I moved from Ontario out West - Canucks don't get the luxury of a lot of supply and compared to Ontario in the West choices are even more limited. I also spent a lot of time looking in the US. There prices for good, low mile 981 Boxster S's are now at least ~ $50k USD. Once you pay exchange and duty, that is a $70K (Boxster S - GTS more like $85k)

I finally found a car in BC a month ago - started looking in 2021. I paid $77k, tax and shipping included. As an earlier poster rightly stated - maybe it was a couple of thousand more than ideal - but it had the stuff I wanted - manual gearbox, X73 suspension, sport exhaust, Carrera S wheels, sport design steering wheel and 33k kms. (2015)

My opinion - I don't think you will find a "bargain" 981S or GTS again. If you want a new 4.0, that is a $120k + car (Boxster GTS). If there is a Porsche value proposition, I think the 981 is in that conversation. I don't see the 4 cylinder cars holding up as well. Once the electric cars arrive, I think the 981 and the 4.0 718s just become more desirable.

Gratuitous pic attached

Old 09-27-2023, 09:21 PM
TypeZero
6th Gear

Thanks, I will continue my hunt throughout the winter. Maybe I'll manage to find something then.
Old 09-28-2023, 09:29 PM
andybee
AutoX

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

In a similar boat. Been watching prices for a year while I waited for some money to arrive, although my budget limited me to a 14 base or S if I'm super lucky. There were quite a few earlier in the year, but thats started to dry up now. Been keeping a basic spreadsheet and they have def' risen the past year. A few in the US are quite a bit cheaper, but not sure I want that hassle!

I'm a bit picky in what I want, have a couple on my radar this weekend, but concerned (in the short term!) they will continye to increse out of my price range. Long term, once I have one, thats great !
Old 09-29-2023, 09:06 AM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 859 Likes on 453 Posts

Thanks, I will continue my hunt throughout the winter. Maybe I'll manage to find something then.

Personally I would wait. The economic outlook is a bit grim right now, markets are falling, house prices are dropping and there is a record amount of personal debt. A lot of very low interest mortgages are coming up for renewal and I would think that most markets will soften/ Already happening in the classic car very high end markets. My sense is that we will see a drop.
The following 2 users liked this post by RDMcG:
RealityGT (09-29-2023), vetfever (09-29-2023)

Quick Reply: 981 S pricing