Notices

Rust Proofing (GTA)

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2023, 05:12 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 96 Posts

if you're going to do a bit of rustproofing with Aerosol cans, you could get extra long straws to get into tight spaces....

I got these 2 try. works decently on the Corrosion free cans. Reviews say it doesnt fit the Fluid Film ones... If anyone local wants to try one, you can have one free. came in a package of 5.

Old 10-18-2023, 01:27 PM
Pappagray
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 104 Posts

Do not use an oil based product, there is far to much wrong with these products to even explain. Do the research. I work on cars everyday in general repair, and oil based coatings offer little to know protection and cause more issues

Honeyseal in Oakville. Your going to pay for it, but the prep, results, and longevity make it a clear choice. They do amazing work

https://www.instagram.com/honeysealtm/
Old 10-18-2023, 01:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Pappagray
Honeyseal.
Does it continue to flow and is it applied every year? The trouble with anything new is I do not have 23 years experience with it.

I've used Krown since 2000 and I have never had an issue with it. As a DIYer, I apply it myself.
Old 10-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Does it continue to flow and is it applied every year? The trouble with anything new is I do not have 23 years experience with it.

I've used Krown since 2000 and I have never had an issue with it. As a DIYer, I apply it myself.
Its not needed yearly, they told me every 5 years. I believe from my research its more of a cosmoleen(sp) product. Its like a waxy product. There sister company, Sublime surfaces out west have been using this product for a very long time. The prep they do is unbelievable, take some time to go through the photos. Fender wells come out, plastics all come off, complete chassis is dry ice blasted. Its a 2 day process
Old 10-19-2023, 09:47 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 89 Posts

Its not needed yearly, they told me every 5 years. I believe from my research its more of a cosmoleen(sp) product. Its like a waxy product. There sister company, Sublime surfaces out west have been using this product for a very long time. The prep they do is unbelievable, take some time to go through the photos. Fender wells come out, plastics all come off, complete chassis is dry ice blasted. Its a 2 day process
What is the cost of this? I emailed them a couple days ago, no reply.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:28 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Cosmolene, a product the Porsche factory used to apply to new Porsches a long trime ago and which I removed on my 1995 993 because it dries out after many years.

The fact that they have to remove all those fender liners, etc. tells me the product does not flow. And when spraying it, the applicator has to make sure he does not miss anything since it does not flow.

It is not a product I would use within rocker panels, frame rails or on the interior of panels such as doors. It may look neat when applied, but neat and effective usually do not go hand in hand.

This is my daily driver at year 14 using Krown (I sprayed is last the year before) where we have real snow and salt. Toronto and the Golden Horseshoe is a pik-nik in comparison. That car is now 23 years old in the hands of a Porsche friend.

Old 10-22-2023, 08:59 AM
toastedhalfbagel
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm planning to drive my new-to-me 996 through the Toronto winter, and I've been going back and forth about rustproofing. Car was reportedly never winter driven before, and it looks pretty good at the moment.
I've read that over the year, the underside can really "gunk up" as the rustproofing oil application traps dirt and debris, and can make access/repairs from the underside a real hassle. How much of a problem is this, really?
And some say the car doesn't need any rustproofing as long as I give the underside a good regular wash, but I'm not too sure about that.
My underground parking lot does have a car wash bay I can use whenever I want to hose down the car/prevent salt buildup, but that's about it.

Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
philPompili (02-27-2024)
Old 10-25-2023, 09:15 AM
Pappagray
Instructor

Originally Posted by pbcsd
What is the cost of this? I emailed them a couple days ago, no reply.
Will depend on your condition of your vehicle going in. But $1000-1500 range.

Old 10-25-2023, 11:15 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Will depend on your condition of your vehicle going in. But $1000-1500 range.
That is a lot of money to pay for a product that has not proven itself.
Old 10-25-2023, 12:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

one thing is for sure ... you better do SOMETHING.

Porsche does nothing special for rustproofing, its just another VAG box.

View this post on Instagram
Old 10-25-2023, 12:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
one thing is for sure ... you better do SOMETHING.

Porsche does nothing special for rustproofing, its just another VAG box.
Being a Porsche fanatic, that is 100% unacceptable. But I wonder if it really was a 2016 Macan...you know the internet.

Yet my 1999 Honda CR-V is still perfect after 23 years, thanks to Krown T-40. You want something that flows. Ever wonder why a cross-member on an American car whose oil pan always leaked always looked like new.

Glad I passed on a Macan and bought an Acura RDX.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-25-2023 at 12:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2023, 01:36 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

those coil protectors do look very familiar so i wouldn't be surprised.

The reason i have this is I have the same rear subframe on mu Audi and it rotted out... found this on the net, regardless if this is a Porsche or not ( and i personally believe it is ) it shows we should not just think its a magical non rusting car. better to protect yourself.
IXLR8 (10-25-2023)
Old 10-25-2023, 01:37 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 604 Posts

I believe the rust pic poster is a rennlister...
Old 10-25-2023, 03:29 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theiceman
The reason i have this is I have the same rear subframe on my Audi and it rotted out... found this on the net, regardless if this is a Porsche or not ( and i personally believe it is ) it shows we should not just think its a magical non rusting car. better to protect yourself.
How old was your Audi when the sub-frame rotted out? And to think I looked at one as well; first the Macan, then the Audi Q3 and Q5, then the BMW X3. All of them nice, but I keep trouble-free daily drivers 14+ years so I can afford a 911.

There are a lot of cars that are not rustproofed and you do not see that level of component failure in a piddly 6 years and to think it was weakened already years before that. Not trying to excuse the issue, but wouldn't that have been covered by Porsche's corrosion warranty.

Like they say, "chome won't get you home" which is why I do not own a HD.

Last edited by IXLR8; 10-25-2023 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-25-2023, 03:56 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

2014 A4.

mine wasn't as bad as the one in the pic ... i lost i would say about 1/3 of the thickness of metal when i gauged it compared to a non rusted piece..

I slapped tremclad on it as its just my winter beater.

IXLR8 (10-25-2023)

Quick Reply: Rust Proofing (GTA)