Notices

OT - Vancouver visit

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 10:40 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Matt, I think you got recommendations to fill a week, you only have 2 days, give or take. There is so much to see and do especially if it does not rain. Canada Place, nobody mentioned it. if the Alaska cruise season has started you are likely to see some very big ships. A 3D movie theater right there. A giant earth rotating globe across the street at the Vancouver Convention Centre, never seen anything similar anywhere I've been to. A sightseeing flight in Vancouver harbour. A quick ferry to North Vancouver and the market there. There is a tower where you can go to the top and see the city panorama => https://vancouverlookout.com/. A drive by in West Vancouver to see all the nice houses on the mountain. The market in Granville island is great and there is a ferry taking you there from the foot of Howe street. Sun-Yat-Sen, the only authnetic Chinese garden outside of China. Gastown and the steam clock. The boardwalk in Stanley Park, the rose garden should be in full bloom in May. The totem poles, it is unique, won't see that anywhere else. A walk across Lions Gate bridge (and back of course). Grouse Mountain gondola and the Capilano suspension bridge. The road to Cypress Valley sky area and the vista point, I always go there on a clear day, fantastic view over Vancouver (don't go beyond the vista point, there is nothing to see). English Bay and Denman street. Horseshoe Valley ferry terminal, when I have time I take the ferry back and forth to Gibson, it is a 40 minutes ride, scenery is beautiful (again, with the sun shining). The drive from the Horseshoe ferry terminal to Lions Gate bridge through West Vancouver. Already mentioned by others, the sea to sky highway, the gondola in Squamish and Shannon Falls water falls in. Whistler of course and beyond but you only have 2 days. Plan to go back and spend at least one full week (7 days), the fireworks in English Bay in July are spectacular if they still have them.

I'm not a foodie, I'd rather walk to exhaustion to see the sights than spend hours at the table eating but I like Cardero's in the marina near Stanley Park => https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran..._Columbia.html. Extremely popular, make reservation in advance. The ambiance is what brings me back there time and again
Old 03-31-2023, 11:17 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Another thought. If you venture into West Van and like forests, I’ll tell you how to get to 1000+ year old trees. If you haven’t seen ancient trees they’re a sight to see. There are a few left on the shore. The forests are spectacular here.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:48 AM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,141 Likes on 676 Posts

There is a soup place under the Sheraton wall, it’s a noodle restaurant, I forget the name, the chicken curry soup is UNREAL.

oh ya it’s called fat moa!

Blue Water Cafe is really good too for high end stuff.

I walk all over Vancouver, never an issue. If it starts to smell like ****, turn around, that is my rule of thumb lol.

The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
george44 (04-01-2023), westcoastj (04-04-2023)
Old 04-01-2023, 11:13 AM
commie
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Another thought. If you venture into West Van and like forests, I’ll tell you how to get to 1000+ year old trees. If you haven’t seen ancient trees they’re a sight to see. There are a few left on the shore. The forests are spectacular here.
If you don't mind posting, where about are these old trees located? I did hikes around Lynn Canyon, Capilano, Horseshoe Bay, Stanley park. Saw some really interesting looking 'fat' old trees, but don't think they were 1000+ old...Don't mind checking them out the next time I am in town. I had wanted to check out the Cambie climbing tree, but never got around to it.

OP, you have more than enough to fill your 2 day agenda. But another fun morning activity, for a longer trip, is to charter a fishing boat to go salmon fishing. I did a 4 hour morning charter with Bonchovy with 3 other friends, and we landed like 5-6 decent size salmon that morning. The captain cleaned and fillet the fish for us afterwards, and we cooked couple of them on the same day, and oh boy were they so good to eat. Totally different texture from the store bought salmons. We had enough fillets for each of us to bring some home as well. Definitely an unique experience for us from central Canada, I am an avid fisherman and done salmon fishing in Lake Ontario, but its not the same as doing it off the coast of BC, with the mountains as backdrop. Also, depending on season, you may see some whales while out.

Oh if you are checking out Granville Island(probably a must for tourist, even if its somewhat 'tacky'), take the water taxi. Its a pretty fun way of transportation. Gastown will be good walk, some hipster type shops and galleries there, also check out the Steam clock, and maybe follow some of the ghost tours.
For food that is 'better' or 'different' than Montreal, then its got to be what Vancouver does best and being on the coast, that is Seafood and sushi. Not even Toronto can compare to Vancouver's seafood and sushi scene. Toronto now has the better Chinese food, but Vancouver still tops in those two areas.
You only have two days, so don't try to do everything, you won't have time, just take it easy and like the other poster mentioned, you'll have to come back for a longer stay. We haven't even mention some other things to do inland, like the wine country in Okanagan Valley and Osoyoos, also the hot springs like Harrison Springs.

Last edited by commie; 04-01-2023 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:16 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

While I haven't been to Vancouver for vacations or lived there, been there plenty for work.

Recommend gastown, walk around coal harbour, stanley park along the shore etc. I particularly like coal harbour with the mountains, boats and float planes. Drive up to Whistler if you have time. Sometimes I'd drive to Seattle for the day, nice easy drive and there used to be a russian pastry (sweet/savoury) shop in PIkes place that was delicious.

As for hotels - recently stayed at Fairmont Pacific Rim (fantastic - waterfront location, amazing rooms, view, food, service), Fairmont Hotel Vancouver is good and more in the city rather than waterfront like Pacific Rim. Four Seasons is also very nice (But Pacific Rim beats it). Have stayed at regular hotels but those are just hotels, not worth mentioning. Haven't had a chance to eat at interesting local restaurants much, however the food at Pacific Rim is awesome.

Not sure if Vij's is still a thing. I've been there a few times years ago, was good but it's not like it's some amazing uncommon Indian food.

Last edited by SToronto; 04-01-2023 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-01-2023, 11:36 AM
commie
Instructor

Originally Posted by SToronto

Not sure if Vij's is still a thing. I've been there a few times years ago, was good but it's not like it's some amazing uncommon Indian food.
Agree with you there. I personally would not go all the way to Vancouver for only 2 days and going to Vij's as one of the dinner experience.
Nothing really against Vij's, but its not a representation of the city or area.
Also, for Indian food, and for Chinese food for that matter, I much prefer the 'hole in the wall' types places to get the best example of that type of food. These 'elevated' places are just too played out. If that makes any sense.
The following 2 users liked this post by commie:
MaxLTV (04-16-2023), SToronto (04-02-2023)
Old 04-02-2023, 11:29 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

You may want to visit Anh and Chi for some Vietnamese. They got a Michelin star last year and Bib Gourmand.

met one of the owners this weekend, seem like good people, good story and generational history. Didn’t go to the restaurant but had a sampling, tasty!

Old 04-03-2023, 10:59 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Everyone has great recommendations. I would emphasize the outdoors as the main attraction for Vancouver. I've traveled for work and play and the highlights for me are walking through stanley park with a stop at the brewery, biking the sea wall, walking the english bay area, wreck beach (lol), driving the sea to sky and various hikes (they are endless). Food scene is "good" but not comparable to Toronto outside of Asian IMO. Nightlife is pretty non-existent and the more you go you'll realize why it has the "no fun city" moniker... but there are some decent cocktail bars... Granville st. is nice at night if you're in your 20s. Weather is phenomenal in the summer!
Old 04-03-2023, 05:11 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by commie
Agree with you there. I personally would not go all the way to Vancouver for only 2 days and going to Vij's as one of the dinner experience.
Nothing really against Vij's, but its not a representation of the city or area.
Also, for Indian food, and for Chinese food for that matter, I much prefer the 'hole in the wall' types places to get the best example of that type of food. These 'elevated' places are just too played out. If that makes any sense.
Originally Posted by SToronto
You may want to visit Anh and Chi for some Vietnamese. They got a Michelin star last year and Bib Gourmand.

met one of the owners this weekend, seem like good people, good story and generational history. Didn’t go to the restaurant but had a sampling, tasty!
Thanks again guys, so much great info shared in this thread!

Will read and re-read to come with a plan. And have already taken a peek at the new Bib Gourmand spots.

As for food, yeah, would ideally like to find the best 'least fussy spots'. Good to me means local and fresh and creative, not to be confused with expensive or exclusive. Some of my favourite places here in Montreal are by no means high end. In fact, none of them are

I see some good sushi in my future!

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lane; 04-03-2023 at 05:14 PM.
The following users liked this post:
SToronto (04-04-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 07:04 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Forgot to mention one of my favorites: L'Abbatoir in Gastown. Make sure you get a reservation if you want to go!
The following users liked this post:
MaxLTV (04-16-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 09:06 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Forgot to mention one of my favorites: L'Abbatoir in Gastown. Make sure you get a reservation if you want to go!
L'Abbatoir is great. Would also highly recommend Kissa Tanto and Bao Bei. Both super interesting and extremely delicious.
Old 04-10-2023, 08:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Wow, this all sounds delicious.

So.... final question, I swear!

Where to for good sushi - not the most exclusive or expensive omakase, but your 'favourite' spot for simply great great sushi, sashimi, and maybe a roll or two

I'm excited!

M
Old 04-10-2023, 09:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,043 Likes on 470 Posts

Can't help with the Sushi........but sure hope you enjoy your visit! Some great suggestions and ideas posted that I'm going to check out myself. And I've lived in the GVRD since 1984! Vancouver is a wonderful big city and like all big cities has its issues and areas that are best steered clear of. More a sad state of current society than any particular city's specific problem.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:16 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Blue water in Yaletown is great (but not cheap) sushi.

if you like sushi, you’ll like Vancouver. It’s one of the best sushi places in all the world.

And of course these is Miku at the top of Burrard coal Harbor end, but Toronto has one of those as well now.

I’m sure that someone will post about some off the beaten path sushi spot - I knew if one 15years ago called Octopus Garden in Kitsilano, but haven’t been there since so who knows if it’s still any good.
Old 04-12-2023, 05:42 PM
commie
Instructor

If you want to try the pressed sushi then Miku or Minami are good. They are both similar and own by the same group I believe, both have expanded to Toronto in recent years, not sure if they have made their way to Montreal.
Their regular sushi or sashimi is just fine, nothing special, but their pressed sushi is great and nice change of pace from regular sushi. Both have great vibe, with nicely/trendy decorations and nice cocktail offerings.

For a more traditional sushi experiences that is not crazy expensive, other suggestions would be:
- Stem Japanese Eatery
- Kishimoto on Commercial drive
- Naruto on Commerical drive
- Suika

Quick Reply: OT - Vancouver visit