Notices

If You Had $140-160K CAD Before Tax To Spend On A Porsche, Which P Car Would You Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 03:13 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Yeah re the 993s I bought mine 2 weeks before my daughter was born in 2012. I've turned down 3.5X what I've paid for it but I'll never sell it. My 10 year old daughter forbids it. 👧 still on the hunt for that perfectly spec'd 991 Targa. I missed out on a perfect lease return 991Targa C4S pre covid because of my hesitating stupidity and have regretted it ever since. Hunt continues....

The following 3 users liked this post by Pags993:
996TS (02-21-2023), Ed99 (02-20-2023), Greg981 (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 05:32 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Yeah re the 993s... I'll never sell it.

Same here.

And although I have no intent of selling the 991.1 Carrera 4 GTS, if one did have to go, it would not be the 993 Carrera, the last of the real 911s.

Its been flawless but the trouble with the newer cars is all the high-tech wonders that could go wrong on them.
The following 2 users liked this post by IXLR8:
Ed99 (02-20-2023), Pags993 (02-19-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 06:54 PM
Pags993
Drifting

Received 141 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice! Your hand made ignition wire set is in my 993 😎 are you still making them?
Old 02-19-2023, 07:46 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Pags993
Nice! Your hand made ignition wire set is in my 993 😎 are you still making them?
I've had several requests and the border closure during Covid didn't help, but no, not since 2015. The only way it is worth it is if I make a weekend of it in the US to go shopping and pick up the Beru cable and M3 ends tax-free for a 48 hour stay. The exchange rate didn't help. And in the end, it was more of a favour to get quality cables made for myself and then for other 964/993 owners because $30 or $40 for 2.5 hours of work...I made more working. lol
Old 02-20-2023, 07:46 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Dyim
My biased opinion. The one I currently have.

The lighting, the angle the shot is taken and the car itself….WOW
Old 02-20-2023, 07:50 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Next gen makes me sad.

Old 02-20-2023, 09:17 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg981
Next gen makes me sad.

And rightly so - looks like some sort of a mash up of an Audi TT and Toyota MR2!!
The following users liked this post:
Greg981 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 09:48 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

My thought exactly about the MR2. Looks nothing like a Porsche. Will sound nothing like a Porsche. My present one will be my last.
Old 02-20-2023, 10:09 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
I'd like to bring up a question specifically for fellow Canadians who are currently on the lookout for their dream Porsche cars. With the recent increase in interest rates, high inflation, and a supposed minor recession, we've noticed that some used car prices have decreased, including Porsche models, depending on the make and mileage. Despite this, we still see some P cars sitting unsold for more than four months due to their initial overpricing, asking for last year's hot market pricing.

With that being said, let's get down to business: if you had $140-160K before tax to spend on a Porsche:

1) Which Porsche car would you consider buying and why? P cars I have in mind in the range are 718 GT4, 991.2 GTS, 991.2 Targa C4S, 997.2 Turbo, or 997.1 GT3
2) Would you opt to purchase now, or wait for pricing to potentially decrease further?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and opinions!
A soul searching question for many of us - or me anyway. 🙂

It appears by your options, you will be the occasional track guy but bring it to work and Home Depot - store in winter? I have owned/ enjoyed some of your choices (see my signature) and given your budget would lean to a 991.2 Targa. All other cars you note are exceptional in their own right but I play golf with a friend most Saturday mornings in the summer and after meeting for breakfast, I follow him to the course and he is driving his black 991.2 T4S and the silhouette on that thing is epic…and the top opens offering a unique experience again his entire family enjoys. As a basis for this opinion, traded our 993tt for GT4 ….GT4 for our PTS 991.2 Targa…traded Targa for GT3T…and then ordered another Targa(992) which we enjoy now. Important to note, I have been treated entirely equitably through each p&s with my dealer with good advice and fair values which has to be considered in your calculus.

Now the therapy part of the program….I am VERY sorry I sold each of my 993s - particularly the 993tt of which I have had three of them…and not because they have shot up in value and I “missed out” but because they are just such wonderful cars in so many ways but to buy today -with the money they apparently command- I could never get my head around that. The only car I would never sell?..my GT3T because Porsche really hit every mark (for me) and despite the rise in value…that car won’t be replicated as I learned from my 993tt experience - again not driven by cost but rather value. I have driven a 991.2 T which is/ was a treat to drive and be well under that budget …not sure where they sit on pricing..or where they will land(soon)..but given your list, I would drive one for sure.

Pricing - well - I would think they are soon to come down as supply of new vehicles straightens itself out and someone (average buyer) has to think through a business case on a 10 year old car off warranty with about 8% interest at these numbers OR now does simple business case on a new car with warranty and where that sits in their family finances in 48 months. The fundamental shift is soon underway. With the healthy budget you have there, the used market will soon entice YOU by price because you can buy an awesome car for that kind of money. What has been in play is FOMO/ SUPPLY the past 24 months with price being an afterthought to some degree imho. I would wait - won’t be long mind you as I think the trending has started - and keep focused on perceived specialty cars (GTS, Targa as examples) if you were to go used in that aren’t likely to be so dearly impacted.

My dealer is solid and straight up and I am very thankful in not having to go through the dance some of the guys have gone through in fulfillment of a dream in buying a Porsche with some of the shenanigans I have been reading. My thinking is you’d soon be able to spec a beautiful new C2S or lightly equipped C4S at that budget number at MSRP - maybe even factory financing incentives- and get it within 6 months…imagine! I don’t know where all these buyers come from at these prices…and you know what else….people start looking at alternatives like a MK 8 Golf R which is spectacular at $60K or an old 1973 BMW 2002 restomod - a friggen blast for not a lot of money. No disrespect to ANY Porsche but with these prices, comes many options. The buying process has to be part of the fun of owning these cars.

But..if pre owned is where you end up given your stated options, this was one of our favourites.

The following 2 users liked this post by Overdraft:
bcrdukes (02-20-2023), Ed99 (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 12:01 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Use that money for a down payment on a 997.2 GT3 RS
Old 02-20-2023, 06:14 PM
Ed99
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Overdraft
A soul searching question for many of us - or me anyway. 🙂

It appears by your options, you will be the occasional track guy but bring it to work and Home Depot - store in winter? I have owned/ enjoyed some of your choices (see my signature) and given your budget would lean to a 991.2 Targa. All other cars you note are exceptional in their own right but I play golf with a friend most Saturday mornings in the summer and after meeting for breakfast, I follow him to the course and he is driving his black 991.2 T4S and the silhouette on that thing is epic…and the top opens offering a unique experience again his entire family enjoys. As a basis for this opinion, traded our 993tt for GT4 ….GT4 for our PTS 991.2 Targa…traded Targa for GT3T…and then ordered another Targa(992) which we enjoy now. Important to note, I have been treated entirely equitably through each p&s with my dealer with good advice and fair values which has to be considered in your calculus.

Now the therapy part of the program….I am VERY sorry I sold each of my 993s - particularly the 993tt of which I have had three of them…and not because they have shot up in value and I “missed out” but because they are just such wonderful cars in so many ways but to buy today -with the money they apparently command- I could never get my head around that. The only car I would never sell?..my GT3T because Porsche really hit every mark (for me) and despite the rise in value…that car won’t be replicated as I learned from my 993tt experience - again not driven by cost but rather value. I have driven a 991.2 T which is/ was a treat to drive and be well under that budget …not sure where they sit on pricing..or where they will land(soon)..but given your list, I would drive one for sure.

Pricing - well - I would think they are soon to come down as supply of new vehicles straightens itself out and someone (average buyer) has to think through a business case on a 10 year old car off warranty with about 8% interest at these numbers OR now does simple business case on a new car with warranty and where that sits in their family finances in 48 months. The fundamental shift is soon underway. With the healthy budget you have there, the used market will soon entice YOU by price because you can buy an awesome car for that kind of money. What has been in play is FOMO/ SUPPLY the past 24 months with price being an afterthought to some degree imho. I would wait - won’t be long mind you as I think the trending has started - and keep focused on perceived specialty cars (GTS, Targa as examples) if you were to go used in that aren’t likely to be so dearly impacted.

My dealer is solid and straight up and I am very thankful in not having to go through the dance some of the guys have gone through in fulfillment of a dream in buying a Porsche with some of the shenanigans I have been reading. My thinking is you’d soon be able to spec a beautiful new C2S or lightly equipped C4S at that budget number at MSRP - maybe even factory financing incentives- and get it within 6 months…imagine! I don’t know where all these buyers come from at these prices…and you know what else….people start looking at alternatives like a MK 8 Golf R which is spectacular at $60K or an old 1973 BMW 2002 restomod - a friggen blast for not a lot of money. No disrespect to ANY Porsche but with these prices, comes many options. The buying process has to be part of the fun of owning these cars.

But..if pre owned is where you end up given your stated options, this was one of our favourites.

Thanks for sharing your insight and experience with us. Really appreciate it and would love to see more of these comments from other members. Since you have gone through this process many times these are valuable tips for many buyers that are looking. Agree on waiting for a bit and I think Q4 this year will be the time to buy one in the secondary market.

Also, out of all the P cars you own do you prefer PDK or manual?
Old 02-20-2023, 06:16 PM
Ed99
Racer

Next gen makes me sad.

I really hope they don't come out with this because it looks straight up like an Audi TT next generation lol!!!
Old 02-20-2023, 07:29 PM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Next gen makes me sad.

The next gen actually looks like this (prototypes with some design details covered but you can see the overall shape and design).

I like the new design. We’ll see how they drive, the weight, range, and thermals.
The following users liked this post:
gcurnew (02-20-2023)
Old 02-20-2023, 07:45 PM
Ed99
Racer

Originally Posted by VRYALT3R3D
Use that money for a down payment on a 997.2 GT3 RS
I would love to own a 997.2 GT3 RS but way over priced and with that kind of money there are a lot of options to choose from. If bought 4-5yrs ago would have been ideal.

When you know how much the P cars were going for back 3-5yrs ago, it hurts to pay the current market pricing.
Old 02-20-2023, 08:27 PM
VRYALT3R3D
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed99
I would love to own a 997.2 GT3 RS but way over priced and with that kind of money there are a lot of options to choose from. If bought 4-5yrs ago would have been ideal.

When you know how much the P cars were going for back 3-5yrs ago, it hurts to pay the current market pricing.
Yeah, I could have bought one 3 years ago but went with something else. Oh well. Would still buy though as I want the 3 pedels

Quick Reply: If You Had $140-160K CAD Before Tax To Spend On A Porsche, Which P Car Would You Buy?