Notices

off topic: house Reno stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 06:11 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts
Default off topic: house Reno stuff

In the GTA: Please indulge my tremendous ignorance in these matters: My elderly parents are selling me their house. It needs a few minor things (some windows not opening/closing properly and some sinks only getting hot or cold water). I'd also like to finish the basement in an open concept (basically needs better/new insulation and drywalling of the 4 walls, put down a floor and put up a ceiling). I'd like to have this work done over the next month. Any recommendations on who to do this? I've never owned a house/hired anyone for this type of work. I figure I need 1 plumber and 1 basic construction guy?
Old 01-12-2023, 07:21 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

First thing is extend your time frame. All building trades are extremely busy.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:29 PM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by palmpalm
In the GTA: Please indulge my tremendous ignorance in these matters: My elderly parents are selling me their house. It needs a few minor things (some windows not opening/closing properly and some sinks only getting hot or cold water). I'd also like to finish the basement in an open concept (basically needs better/new insulation and drywalling of the 4 walls, put down a floor and put up a ceiling). I'd like to have this work done over the next month. Any recommendations on who to do this? I've never owned a house/hired anyone for this type of work. I figure I need 1 plumber and 1 basic construction guy?
Where are you located? Finding reliable and qualified trades right now is difficult. If they're well priced and available immediately or soon, they're probably ****. Good contractors are booking months out as a general rule. Also ask to what extent they're doing the work themselves versus subbing the work to other contractors that they may lose control of.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:37 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

I work nights and sleep days. Need to get the work done before I move in (unless the person wants to work at night).
Old 01-12-2023, 07:39 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aluffman
Where are you located? Finding reliable and qualified trades right now is difficult. If they're well priced and available immediately or soon, they're probably ****. Good contractors are booking months out as a general rule. Also ask to what extent they're doing the work themselves versus subbing the work to other contractors that they may lose control of.
I live in Toronto but the house is in Richmond Hill. Why is it difficult? I need the work done before I move in. I am a physician who works exclusively at night and sleeps during the day so can't be having work done during the day. I just need a plumber and someone who can fix some windows/do basic carpentry, no? I don't think I need a contractor (I thought contractors are the guys who renovate whole houses or build new ones?). I am completely ignorant of this stuff.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:44 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

Haven’t done major reno since 2019. But my understanding is as posted. Availability is tight the last couple years. Would think this will improve with people spending less on major renos.

also getting the work completed in a months time is likely going to be a challenge.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:50 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

I live in Toronto but the house is in Richmond Hill. Why is it difficult? I need the work done before I move in. I am a physician who works exclusively at night and sleeps during the day so can't be having work done during the day. I just need a plumber and someone who can fix some windows/do basic carpentry, no? I don't think I need a contractor (I thought contractors are the guys who renovate whole houses or build new ones?). I am completely ignorant of this stuff.
your plumbing sounds straightforward and perhaps windows.

basement is a project, you’re talking about finishing it from what sounds like studs and bare floor. You’d want it done right, even if just hanging drywall, putting down a floor and paint. You’ll at least need electrical to set the lighting and such, good time while walls are bare. Is there a bathroom that needs finishing too? Storage area? etc etc
Old 01-12-2023, 09:08 PM
Aluffman
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 56 Posts

You either need to find and manage the various trades that you require or need a general contractor to complete the work. You also need some type of plan / coordination between the various phases of what you're hoping to accomplish. Without know the details, here is something to consider:
1) Is the basement currently finished and requiring some demo? If so you need the labour & waste bins.
2) Assuming you have some generic foundation and walls with no studs, you need something to attached insulation to unless you use spray foam. You need to coordinate framing all the exterior walls, so then the insulator can put up batt insulation and vapour barrier.
3) Before insulation & vapour barrier go up, you need to run electrical for all the ceiling lights. I'm also assuming you're going to want outlets on the walls, which are also required by code, so you need an electrician.
4) Depending on the age of the home, you may want to use a sub floor if its likely there will be moisture driving up through the foundation.
5) Once drywall is taped, mudded and sanded, and the floor is in, you still need a finish carpenter to trim the baseboards, doors, window boxes etc.
6) Once trim is complete, you need a painter, again another trade.

My point here is that there are a number of separate trades required to complete the reno of the basement, and you have 2 options on how to proceed. You find, vet and pay all the trades separately and hope the timing works, or you hire a general contractor that has the connections already.

If you don't have experience with this, and don't get a referral in your area, I'd probably lean on Home Depot home services or an equivalent process that provides some guarantees to the quality and timing of work, albeit generally at a higher cost.

If you go down the path of spray foam insulation for your basement, that's my specialty and I'm happy to help.
You may want to reach out to any realtors you know in the area where the house is, they may have contacts for handymen that could knock off a few of the projects before you move in.

Old 01-12-2023, 09:48 PM
RealityGT
Drifting

Received 248 Likes on 146 Posts

I've reno'd many homes. In this climate, you will need to extend any expectations about 6x. Once you start opening up walls you will find issues. Insulation, asbestos, mold, electrical, plumbing, the list goes on and costs rise exponentially.
Have a general idea of what work you want completed. Document it all. Call in as many contractors as you can to better understand the costs associated with your project.
Ensure the contractor you select has been properly vetted... (Seek out and speak with the last 3-5 owners they've worked with and go as far as to verify the work in person)
Have permits pulled for everything to CYA.

You mentioned windows.. You'd be looking at 6-8 months for windows to be made and delivered to you... and that's a dynamic schedule that is likely to extend further out if you encounter any supply constraints..

That said, I wish you all the luck! Home ownership is a wonderful thing.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:00 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 328 Posts

I started a full gut and reno of our basement in July, 2022. It ended 3 weeks ago... Have fun!
Old 01-12-2023, 10:03 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

Not to pile on but I think you would be hard pressed to get a quote in that time frame let alone any work done!!
The following 3 users liked this post by pfitzsim:
bcrdukes (01-13-2023), Greg981 (01-12-2023), LastMezger (01-15-2023)
Old 01-12-2023, 10:35 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Yes, you need to reset expectations. It's difficult because there is a shortage of skilled trades and the ones you might get are no good. Similar to hiring me to give you a checkup. I'll do it, my schedule is clear

Suggest a complete reset - if you want to do the job right, assume it will take a year - and maintain/find another place to live in the meantime. While you're at it, spend some time and thought on design to make sure you renovate towards an outcome you will be happy with. It will cost more than you plan and/or are quoted.

Construction gets done during the day, period. And based on your profession/schedule, you probably need to find an excellent contractor to take care of this for you.

Best,

Matt
Old 01-12-2023, 11:05 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

A local handyman can do the window repair and maybe repair the hot/cold water issue
As far as the basement goes a good tradesman will have a year waiting list, As others have said once you open a wall you don't know what you will find
Old 01-13-2023, 01:59 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by RealityGT
Have permits pulled for everything to CYA.
Pardon my ignorance as this is a genuine question as I have never done a renovation before.

I have been trying to get a contractor to get some work done in my basement/ground floor den. Nothing particularly serious - add some cabinets and a functional sink, install a dishwasher, and add a toilet in the utility room and some drywalling to beautify the walls. This space is meant to be a home office / part time in-law suite'ish. (No cooking to take place downstairs so no stove.)

Because of the plumbing work and the addition of the sink, toilet, and dishwasher, all contractors tell me it's not worth pulling permits for given how small the job is. I've been trying to get a contractor for the past three years. Nobody wants to pull permits and as a result, won't do the job. Any advice? Thanks!

Originally Posted by moab
I started a full gut and reno of our basement in July, 2022. It ended 3 weeks ago... Have fun!
What? Wow. Care to share details?

Last edited by bcrdukes; 01-13-2023 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-13-2023, 02:02 AM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
your plumbing sounds straightforward and perhaps windows.

basement is a project, you’re talking about finishing it from what sounds like studs and bare floor. You’d want it done right, even if just hanging drywall, putting down a floor and paint. You’ll at least need electrical to set the lighting and such, good time while walls are bare. Is there a bathroom that needs finishing too? Storage area? etc etc

yah the basement isn’t a must. It’s more the windows and plumbing stuff I want to get sorted. And maybe even some do the basement. Like just a floor or just the walls or something but not necessary.

Quick Reply: off topic: house Reno stuff