Notices

CPO warranty and after market exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2022, 02:05 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts
Default CPO warranty and after market exhaust question

Hi all - recently purchased a CPO 2020 718 Spyder. First Porsche and having a blast so far. The one area that could be improved is the exhaust and I have been researching and thinking about improving the exhaust sound to more of a 981 Spyder sound by swapping out the OAPs and replacing the back box. The OAPs have non monitored ceramic matrix OPFs which really muffle and limit the sound. the Back box also doesn't have a lot of stuff going on with it. The number one criticism on the 982 Spyder and GT4 is the exhaust so am hoping to deal with that.

Once hesitation is that the CPO Spyder has warranty until 2026. So while I want to improve the exhaust, I do not want to limit my engine/drive train warranty.

Does anyone from Canada have experience with installing after market exhausts and warranty issues/limitations? I should point out that I am not touching the headers and this will be strictly cat back stuff (look at me acting like I know what I am talking about lol! amazing what you can pick up after a couple of days on this interweb thingie... ) TIA!

Old 05-19-2022, 02:20 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,147 Likes on 821 Posts

i can tell you many many years ago Porsche was denying leaking RMS seal claims on 996s because of after market exhausts they claimed changed the back pressure of the engine. ( whether it actually does or not is irrelevant, point is warranty claims were denied) . More recently we had an entire engine fail and warranty denied because owner had some type of suspension controller modification.

My personal feeling is Porsche along with many companies will look for any excuse not to pay out and i would proceed very carefully. i Would go as far as ask at the dealer if they do exhaust upgrades and if it impacts CPO , if they say no , get it in writing on Porsche letterhead.
You can also do what some do and just switch the exhaust back when going for warranty claims, everyone's comfort level is different.
Old 05-19-2022, 02:56 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

I have an AWE exhaust on my 2017 Macan with CPO until 2023. Since 2019 when I put the exhaust on... and noticeably loud, both DT Porsche, PCNT and Pfaff Markham have not noted it in the service work or warranty recalls as being modified.

I am going to revert back to stock exhaust prior to asking for extended warranty or trade-in
Old 05-19-2022, 03:26 PM
greengobln
Instructor

Received 246 Likes on 67 Posts

Theres dealer that install them for you.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:28 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 757 Posts

Should not be a warranty issue at all.

I had a 718 Spyder with Akrapovic system, car back. I don't touch headers. All my new ones have modded exhaust and dealer serviced.

Agree the stock exhaust needs changed.

Last edited by SToronto; 05-19-2022 at 04:29 PM.
Old 05-19-2022, 04:57 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 522 Likes on 381 Posts

I think you're fine, like most extended warranty companies, the exhaust is not a covered component to begin with, so modifying something that such a minor chance of mechanical recourse, you'll be fine.

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 05-19-2022, 05:03 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Same as above, wouldn't worry about it. I bought a CPO Macan from Pfaff a few years back that came with a modified exhaust (it is loud!) along with aftermarket springs and a few other modifications. Zero issues or questions when it came to warranty work which admittedly was pretty minimal.

My RS also has a Sharkwerks rear section and I had zero issues at PCNT during the major service prior to extending the CPO warranty another 2 years.
Old 05-19-2022, 05:07 PM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Hi all - recently purchased a CPO 2020 718 Spyder. First Porsche and having a blast so far. The one area that could be improved is the exhaust and I have been researching and thinking about improving the exhaust sound to more of a 981 Spyder sound by swapping out the OAPs and replacing the back box. The OAPs have non monitored ceramic matrix OPFs which really muffle and limit the sound. the Back box also doesn't have a lot of stuff going on with it. The number one criticism on the 982 Spyder and GT4 is the exhaust so am hoping to deal with that.

Once hesitation is that the CPO Spyder has warranty until 2026. So while I want to improve the exhaust, I do not want to limit my engine/drive train warranty.

Does anyone from Canada have experience with installing after market exhausts and warranty issues/limitations? I should point out that I am not touching the headers and this will be strictly cat back stuff (look at me acting like I know what I am talking about lol! amazing what you can pick up after a couple of days on this interweb thingie... ) TIA!
My 991.2 GT3 was sold to me by Pfaff at 12 mos old, with CPO and a SharkWerks exhaust installed....

No stock exhaust came with the car...

Only dealer I have had issues with is PCNT, I shipped my new Cayene directly from PCNT to Pfaff Tuning for H and R springs and spacers, PCNT would not consider it....

On my GT4 Pfaff Tuning also installed camber plates, toe links, Soul exhaust, Girodisc, etc, no problem....
Old 05-19-2022, 07:46 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 239 Likes on 185 Posts

PCNT is the worst for any modifications.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:13 PM
TriggerHappy
Instructor

Received 208 Likes on 84 Posts

Thanks guys for the input - in Ottawa so no PCNT - whatever that is Porsche Central
North Toronto?
Old 05-19-2022, 08:39 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Thanks guys for the input - in Ottawa so no PCNT - whatever that is Porsche Central
North Toronto?
Let us know if you do ask your dealer. I am considering the same thing to change out the OAP on the spyder, it can use more sound.
Old 05-19-2022, 08:54 PM
Vise
Drifting

Received 330 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
PCNT is the worst for any modifications.
Had no issue with my RS at PCNT which is lightly modded including Sharkwerks exhaust and a few other things. Based on their reputation I was somewhat worried as they were doing the major service required for the CPO warranty extension... but zero issues at all.

Perhaps the situation has changed or I just had a good Service Advisor...
Old 05-19-2022, 09:06 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by LZRD GRN
My 991.2 GT3 was sold to me by Pfaff at 12 mos old, with CPO and a SharkWerks exhaust installed....

No stock exhaust came with the car...

Only dealer I have had issues with is PCNT, I shipped my new Cayene directly from PCNT to Pfaff Tuning for H and R springs and spacers, PCNT would not consider it....

On my GT4 Pfaff Tuning also installed camber plates, toe links, Soul exhaust, Girodisc, etc, no problem....
How is Pfaff Tuning's prices? Is it 2x the average cost for install or is it on par with Indys?
Old 05-20-2022, 08:14 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Lyfe
How is Pfaff Tuning's prices? Is it 2x the average cost for install or is it on par with Indys?
In my experience with 4 different vehicles, Pfaff Tuning is close to the Indys in pricing.

I am willing to pay a little more with them because of an extensive multi year experience. I trust the team, and they have always delivered, no "screw ups".....

And they have great leverage with the vendors to get parts if you really need something in a hurry.

Totally satisfied customer.....

I do know some great Indys, Dirk at Mantis is fantastic!

While my car is under warranty, I do prefer to use the dealer based shops...

Cheers!
Old 05-20-2022, 08:16 AM
LZRD GRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vise
Had no issue with my RS at PCNT which is lightly modded including Sharkwerks exhaust and a few other things. Based on their reputation I was somewhat worried as they were doing the major service required for the CPO warranty extension... but zero issues at all.

Perhaps the situation has changed or I just had a good Service Advisor...
That is great news, my experience is a year old.....

Quick Reply: CPO warranty and after market exhaust question