Notices

OT - Toronto recs for restaurants

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 04:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
The Grey poupon crowd is suddenly getting beat to crap lol.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:53 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 902 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
The Grey poupon crowd is suddenly getting beat to crap lol.
You don't ask for Grey Poupon on your burger?
The following users liked this post:
theiceman (04-27-2022)
Old 04-27-2022, 05:56 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

"But do they have good burgers and a decent sized parking lot :-)"

Ha, ha.
Just by, on the SW corner of Queen and Jarvis, there is a sketchy parking lot with a hole in the wall tire shop and a cannabis shop. The Grey Poupon crowd at the Fred Victor Mission across the street seem to favour the cannabis shop rather than the tire shop.
Plenty of parking and you could get in the right "mood" for a burger from The Patrician Grill on King East!
Old 04-27-2022, 05:57 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
You don't ask for Grey Poupon on your burger?
compromise and have a nice stogie after ?
Old 04-27-2022, 06:23 PM
rideau
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Matt
Should have thought of this earlier
The Patrician Grill https://patriciangrill.com is a terrific diner that is just east of the King Eddy suitable for either breakfast or lunch. Very easy on the wallet as well.
For those burger fans, please check out the "Belt Buster" on the menu!

Last edited by rideau; 04-27-2022 at 06:24 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-27-2022, 09:52 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
seems to me the Burger Boys could have their own forum never mind their own thread.. lol.

We visit all these place and we will need suspension upgrades.. some great spots i have noted to check out . Am really interested in this Rudy place as i have never been. i found Burger priest to be just another chain burger like 5 guys , i love the one off ma and pa places..

like Skyway Jacks in Mississauga or the charcoal pit in Burlington . Nothing fancy . just good comfort food
Rudy Burgers in my opinion remind me of Shake Shack in the States.

Last edited by Brian 162; 04-27-2022 at 09:56 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 10:05 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian 162
Rudy Burgers in my opinion remind me of Shake Shack in the States.
Wait until you go and try Burgers Park across from Porsche Centre North Toronto. The similarities are uncanny!
Old 04-27-2022, 10:19 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

Just back online and back from Toronto, had a good appreciative chuckle at the flurry of additional responses on this thread. To digress for a moment, I love it when folks come out and share the best of their town. Everywhere I’ve travelled has something unique, excellent and worth sharing. Also, for those that hinted at potentially meeting up, sorry I missed you – we headed in on Saturday and just arrived back home tonight. Final note on that – I met at least 2 friends for life on RL through posts like this. This was a long time ago, but you get the idea.

Montreal F1 - Rennlist get together - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Sometimes it’s great to share ideas and social time outside of the usual banter about dealer ADM, tax increases, and our car values 😊. I really appreciated the ideas shared, we did what we could last minute and had a great time in your town. Nothing worse than asking for ideas and not responding, so here goes:

We stayed on plan and ate casual.

Swatow on Spadina – off Google reviews, old school Canadian Cantonese. Really busy, very good, clean resto, and some good wok’s breath on the dishes we ordered. Most of the diners were locals and on a 1st name basis with the owner/manager. Our 1st night, easy peasy, very good!

Santosei Ramen – near the hotel for lunch. Twice. The black Tonkotsu was excellent - honestly, hard to imagine much better. Super flavourful, noodles with bite, clean broth, individual flavours – tres bien. I would have tried another ramen spot, but preferred to go back and order the same perfect bowl.

Aloette – excellent. I read a few detracting reviews, probably around the price and perceived value, but I thought it was a classic example of you DO get what you pay for. Yes, we 'just' had an iceberg wedge, octopus, shared a burger and a lemon pie - but it’s all the little details that matter. The service was absolutely top notch. The wine list was limited but the bottle we had was irreproachable. Quality stemware, check. Good cutlery and plates for each service, check. The house made brioche and butter, check. Paced and professional throughout. Yes, I’ve had a better burger at Minetta in NY and Lawrence in Montreal, but the overall experience at Alouette was a cut above both and worth every penny.

Pai – so much fun. We waited a bit for a table, but had amazing Thai. I ordered one dish ‘as spicy as the kitchen makes it’ which was perhaps brawn before brains but really good fresh flavours and all in a fun atmosphere. Everyone including the staff was having a good time, no one phoning it in here.

Danforth Hall – caught a show, that was fun. Good venue, good sound. We could not get a dinner spot at Allens, so had pizza at Libretto. This was probably the only average food of the trip – not bad, just OK in spite of the reviews.

Yi Ji Chang Fen – great rice rolls. HK outpost, they also have an outlet in Montreal, just have not had the time to visit. The rice rolls are a cut above the regular dim sum here in Montreal for sure.

St Lawrence market – picked up some Kozlicks crunchy 3 grain mustard – stocked up on what is an amazing local product IMO.

We did more, had amazing skyline views attending an event at the Globe and Mail Center, a full few days away for sure.

PS - I will be returning the favour and starting a Montreal thread for folks that will be heading our way this summer on business or leisure. Nothing exhaustive, but hopefully useful.

Cheers

Matt

Last edited by Matt Lane; 04-27-2022 at 10:23 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Matt Lane:
bcrdukes (04-27-2022), Brian 162 (04-28-2022), pfitzsim (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 12:28 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Lots of excellent suggestions on this thread.

I'm going to throw in Cafe Oro Di Napoli. Casual Italian. Probably the best pizza I've had anywhere. Pasta, fish, salads, all great. not a "big" night out kinda place but great food. Adeliade / Jarvis.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:06 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Wait until you go and try Burgers Park across from Porsche Centre North Toronto. The similarities are uncanny!
Yes, I heard of that place. It's by my old work place. It looks like Shake Shack North
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (04-29-2022)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:37 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 778 Posts

Is it still safe to go out to a swanky restaurant?

I guess if you take the bus or drive your winter beater...(hmm...maybe not)

Quick Reply: OT - Toronto recs for restaurants