Notices

Shipping Car from USA to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:29 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Shipping Car from USA to Canada

I am looking to import a 911 from the US into Canada but due to time constraints, I am looking into having the car shipped as opposed to me going down and picking it up personally.
Has anyone done this.....what was your experience.....any recommendations for shipping companies...what paperwork is required and does the shipping company handle it all....So many questions

I live in Alberta and the Car is in California. Any insight would be appreciated.

TIA

Old 04-19-2004, 12:44 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Here is some info I found when doing a bit of research. I was looking for a 993 Turbo since Canadian prices are way over priced when compared to what you can get them for is the States.

Vehicles
Personal effects can include any kind of pleasure vehicle, such as a car, motorcycle, camper truck, motor home, snowmobile, or pickup truck, as long as you use the vehicle for non-commercial purposes. However, you should be aware of Transport Canada restrictions on vehicles.

Transport Canada requirements

Transport Canada considers vehicles to include trailers such as recreational, boat, camping, horse, and stock trailers. Wood chippers and generators that are equipped with rims and tires are also considered vehicles.

Transport Canada's standards apply to vehicles that are less than 15 years old, and to buses manufactured on or after January 1, 1971. Vehicles originally manufactured to meet the safety standards of countries other than the United States or Canada are not allowed into Canada, unless they are 15 years or older or are buses manufactured before January 1, 1971, or are entering Canada temporarily.

Vehicles manufactured to meet United States safety standards do not comply with Canadian safety standards. As the importer, you are responsible for determining whether your vehicle complies with Canadian standards, or whether it can be modified to meet these standards after you import it. You cannot import vehicles that cannot be modified to meet Canadian standards. Find out whether your vehicle qualifies for importation under Transport Canada's Registrar of Imported Vehicle (RIV) Program. The RIV Program ensures that qualifying vehicles imported into Canada are modified, inspected, and certified to meet Canadian safety standards. You can contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles at:

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
Suite 400
405 The West Mall
Toronto ON M9C 5K7

Telephone:
(416) 626-1803
1-888-848-8240 (toll free in Canada and the United States)

Fax: 1-888-346-8235

Internet: http://www.riv.ca/

If your vehicle qualifies for importation, a customs inspector will register your vehicle into the Registrar of Imported Vehicle Program at the entry point where you import it. You will have to pay a fee for this registration. After your vehicle is registered, you have 45 days to have it modified to meet Canadian standards.

If you acquired a vehicle from a country other than the United States, contact:

Road Safety and Motor Vehicle Regulation
Transport Canada
8th floor, Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa ON K1A 0N5

Telephone:
(613) 998-8616
1-800-333-0371 (toll free in Canada and the United States)

Fax: (613) 998-4831

Internet: www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/

Notes
You cannot license your vehicle in Canada until you get approval from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

Your vehicle may also be subject to provincial or territorial sales tax and safety requirements. Check with the motor vehicle department of the province or territory to which you are returning to resume residence.

Before you bring your vehicle into Canada, ask the customs authority of the country from which you will be exporting it if there are any requirements you must meet before you can ship the vehicle out of the country.

For more information, see the pamphlet called Importing a Vehicle Into Canada. You can find a copy on our Web site or order one by contacting:

National Distribution Centre
Canada Customs and Revenue Agency
933 Gladstone Street
Ottawa ON K1A 1A2

Telephone:
(613) 946-0626
1-800-959-2221 (toll free in Canada and the United States)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:52 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Thanks jumper for the reply....I am aware of all the requirements for importing a vehicle into Canada...

What i'm looking for is information/feedback on experiences of Shipping a car from the US...also looking for recommendations on car transporter companies....

Old 04-20-2004, 04:57 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try contacting Will Zaraska, he runs a business specialized in automotive import/export and can provide assistance for transport and/or administrative paper work. I haven't done business with Will, however he provided me with valuable info regarding importing from the US, he seems to be a reliable and professional guy.

His website is www.willz.ca, his email willzaraska@yahoo.com

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 05:02 PM
Kit_Chris
Racer

Try www.willz.ca

Typo, my mistake..

Regards,
Chris
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

A good buddy of mine, who ships cars for a living for high-buck customers made the following comments when I asked about importing (and shipping) a 911 from Cali...

"Indeed I am still transportating cars and thank you for thinking of me. Unfortunately you likely wouldn't want to pay me what I would charge to bring a car from California. California is a relatively common run, so the big trucking companies can get full loads pretty regularly, making it impossible for me to be competitive. I recommend that you contact Mackies at 800-565-4646.

I can give great rates by train, but you would have to get the car to Vancouver.

As for the regulations, a 1989 vehicle should be just old enough to miss some of the hoopla i.e. emissions & safety stuff. I highly recommend no matter what that you spend a few dollars on the services of a broker. They know all the rules and regulations and work magic with customs. One that I have found very good is Dell Wills Customs Broker 514-258-3141."

If you want my buddy's contact info - just PM me.

Let us know how it goes!

RK
Old 04-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the info...I will give Mackies a call.... I called another transporter and was quoted $1700.00 CDN(includes taxes but not Custom Broker) to get the car from San Diego to Calgary (Enclosed truck to Vancouver, Train from Vancouver to Calgary).....
Now the choice becomes difficult, a 1995 993 or 1993 RSA......decisions

Old 04-27-2004, 04:15 PM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

check the 993 board for the horror story of a guy who transported his car from California to Canada via rail....

I'm not sure if Intercity will deliver in Canada but I had my car shipped from Miami to Texas and they were flawless. They took great care of the car, how it was strapped down etc and of course they have an enclosed transport which is my book is the ONLy option to protect your investment.
Many guys on the 993 will recommend Intercity as well as Horsless Carriage. I only have experience with the first and I highly recommend them.
Maybe it would be worth it for you to have them deliver at the border and you clear the car in and drive it home. I did this when I took my car through the Canada border and it was very easy.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:14 PM
Conekilr
Burning Brakes

Thanks Danny for the info. I say the writeup on Sea Rail in the 993 forum...what a shame...

Hey, you can save me the trouble and sell me Blue Meanie .....Nice car...

Old 04-29-2004, 02:08 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 59 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally posted by Conekilr
Thanks Danny for the info. I say the writeup on Sea Rail in the 993 forum...what a shame...

Hey, you can save me the trouble and sell me Blue Meanie .....Nice car...

Heh! Thanks.... sorry its not for sale
Old 04-29-2004, 09:41 AM
randyrap
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year I was looking into prices on having a car brought up from California to Ontario. The prices were around the $1200 to $1400 US mark.

FYI .............................. Randy
Old 05-12-2004, 12:14 AM
RRLOwen
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I imported a 993 a few months ago. I had it transported to Bellingham and I put it on my own trailer from there. I would have driven it but it was Feb and I didn't want to take a chance on the roads over the Coquihalla.
I think the border pick-up is the easiest way to do it.
The truck cost $800 US from St. Louis. It was in an open truck which I was trying to avoid but circumstances messed that up. It arrived dirty but otherwise OK.
From Alberta it would be fairly easy to pick up in Bellingham or Blaine.
I think if you want it delivered directly to you, a broker is the only way to go.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:05 PM
imcarthur
Addict
Rennlist Member

I almost used SeaRail a month ago. But then I had PPIs fail on 2 different cars - a 1985 911 in Houston & a 1988 911 in Pensacola. The quote from SeaRail was $975 Pensacola to Toronto. On another car - Columbus Ohio to Toronto it was $820.

After reading the 993 story, I'm almost glad they fell through. Now I'm talking to a PO in NY from whom I can borrow plates & drive home. If it works out, it will be cheaper & more fun . . .

Ian

Quick Reply: Shipping Car from USA to Canada