Increased Capital gain inclusion rate

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2021, 11:02 AM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by .2PDK
https://edisonfinancial.ca/millennia...ership-canada/

Yeah right, no political risk whatsoever...
Yeah I think we're saying the same thing - changing the CG inclusion rate on investments will impact a relative few.

Changing the CG exemption on a principal residence would affect most - hence why I am concerned about the former.

M
Old 12-18-2021, 11:07 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Yeah I think we're saying the same thing - changing the CG inclusion rate on investments will impact a relative few.

Changing the CG exemption on a principal residence would affect most - hence why I am concerned about the former.

M
Gotcha.
Old 12-19-2021, 03:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

CRA can apply a change retroactively.

Business community is expecting a hit. That is why entrepreneurship and business investment are in the toilet.
Old 12-19-2021, 06:49 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Anything is possible, but I think a prospective change to 66% or 75% is the most likely outcome - question of when.

I'll plan accordingly,

M
Old 12-19-2021, 08:28 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
CRA can apply a change retroactively.

Business community is expecting a hit. That is why entrepreneurship and business investment are in the toilet.
Retroactive increase in cap gains inclusion is extremely unlikely because it invalidates many business decisions, opening government to lawsuits - that would be not very different from changing building code in the middle of construction after approving the plans.

Watch organizations connected to Trudeau and his friends and start selling when they start selling. Of course, they would not trade on insider info because that would be highly illegal, but someone will probably have some "strong intuition" they can't resist . It worked out well for me when I followed Trump's buddies during some market-influencing events that he was involved in. Pure luck, of course, but if a superstition works so well, I'll keep it.
Old 12-20-2021, 12:12 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by MaxLTV
Retroactive increase in cap gains inclusion is extremely unlikely because it invalidates many business decisions, opening government to lawsuits - that would be not very different from changing building code in the middle of construction after approving the plans.

Watch organizations connected to Trudeau and his friends and start selling when they start selling. Of course, they would not trade on insider info because that would be highly illegal, but someone will probably have some "strong intuition" they can't resist . It worked out well for me when I followed Trump's buddies during some market-influencing events that he was involved in. Pure luck, of course, but if a superstition works so well, I'll keep it.
Unlikely but they can apply tax changes retroactively and have in the past.
Old 12-20-2021, 03:06 PM
canuck964
Burning Brakes

Received 112 Likes on 69 Posts

Taxation of principal residence not so easy.

Not saying it cannot be done or that tax policy is ever fair.

If you tax capital gains on principal residences do you now allow for deduction of interest on debt used to purchase the principal residence.

After all interest is deductible for other assets that generate capital gains.
Old 12-20-2021, 05:44 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,209 Likes on 595 Posts

The biggest problem with principal residence capital gains taxation is that it effectively prevents people from moving. Let's say you bought a house that grew in value from 1M to 2M, and you need to move for work. A replacement would cost 2M because all houses got more expensive. But you will have much less than 2M after selling the current house and paying all the transaction-related costs AND cap gains taxes, especially if inclusion rate is increased. People not being able to relocate as easily creates additional friction in the economy making more people stay out of work or in lower-paying jobs. So everyone makes less money and tax revenue goes down as a result.

The following users liked this post:
reacp911 (12-22-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 05:52 PM
dml
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by canuck964
Taxation of principal residence not so easy.

Not saying it cannot be done or that tax policy is ever fair.

If you tax capital gains on principal residences do you now allow for deduction of interest on debt used to purchase the principal residence.

After all interest is deductible for other assets that generate capital gains.
No it is not. It is only deductible for investments that generate income.
Old 12-21-2021, 10:32 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Taxing the principal residence exemption is politically toxic (and highly problematic to implement with valuations etc.) I don't see it happening unless/until/ever we see a widely supported wholesale re-do of the the tax code. None of that is on the radar IMO.

Increasing taxes by 50% (from 50% to 75% inclusion rate) would net coffers an estimated $50B over 5 years. Easy money if you asked me, considering this would impact just a tiny sliver of electorate.

That's fine, as long as you know it's more probable than not, so you can act accordingly.

PS - I spoke to a few financial advisor buddies - no one is proactively addressing this with their clients - if you need detailed tax planning, you need to do it yourself IMO.

Cheers

Matt

Old 12-21-2021, 11:39 PM
pmonag
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Turdeau has turned Canada into a second world country. The Beatles said it best......
Old 12-22-2021, 07:59 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by pmonag
Turdeau has turned Canada into a second world country.
You likely don't even know what the second world was.

I'm not sure what level of insult is allowed on this forum, so I will leave it implicit. Think of the worst insult someone could apply to you and apply it.
Old 12-22-2021, 10:51 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by reacp911
You likely don't even know what the second world was.

I'm not sure what level of insult is allowed on this forum, so I will leave it implicit. Think of the worst insult someone could apply to you and apply it.
Where is your Christmas spirit? Progressive tolerance?

Whatever happened to respectful dialogue between those with opposing opinions?
Old 12-22-2021, 10:57 AM
.2PDK
Race Car

Received 1,243 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Where is your Christmas spirit? Progressive tolerance?

Whatever happened to respectful dialogue between those with opposing opinions?
Those who seek to take from others trigger easy when their agenda is derailed.

You should know that.
Old 12-22-2021, 11:03 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Matt Lane
Taxing the principal residence exemption is politically toxic (and highly problematic to implement with valuations etc.) I don't see it happening unless/until/ever we see a widely supported wholesale re-do of the the tax code. None of that is on the radar IMO.

Increasing taxes by 50% (from 50% to 75% inclusion rate) would net coffers an estimated $50B over 5 years. Easy money if you asked me, considering this would impact just a tiny sliver of electorate.

That's fine, as long as you know it's more probable than not, so you can act accordingly.

PS - I spoke to a few financial advisor buddies - no one is proactively addressing this with their clients - if you need detailed tax planning, you need to do it yourself IMO.

Cheers

Matt
Most people don't pay capital gains every year. Think of selling a non-principal residence property or a business. The soundbite is those at the highest tax rate pay the capital gains tax. Well duh ... how many people sell big assets each and every year. It's a blip.
Increasing the capital gains inclusion rate just increases the divide between those on gov pensions and the self employed who generally use the sale of their business to fund their retirement and there are a LOT of business owners who are wanting to sell.
Not good a good message to send if the desire is to increase business investment.

Taking into account inflation many of these tax gains are actual losses.

NZ, Switzerland, HK, Singapore, Barbados etc do not tax capital gains at all.

It’s the worst tax: Other countries are eliminating it and Canada should, too

https://financialpost.com/opinion/it...ada-should-too

Canada needs economic growth to pay for the Covid debt hangover. Having said that I fully expect the federal Libs to jack taxes, reduce incentive to take on risk, and slow the economy into recession because reducing capital gains taxes, or even leaving them alone, isn't "fair."

Quick Reply: Increased Capital gain inclusion rate