Notices

Bring a Trailer - Any Canadian Seller Experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2021, 09:15 PM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
curious what do you mean "sold my 997gt4 and barely it made sense"? do you mean the price was too low?
it didn’t hit the reserve, so me n the high bidder made a deal, but it didn’t make sense almost to sell at that number. But I did, so ultimately my call... but the takeaway is Cdn cars rarely do the numbers of parallel us cars based on what I’ve seen. Also considering I stole the 2 m3s mostly due to them Cdn cars I can confidently make that statement.
The following users liked this post:
halo777 (04-05-2021)
Old 04-05-2021, 11:59 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

thanks that makes sense.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:01 PM
george44
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had a poor experience with BAT on Tuesday. I have an account with them and did bid in the past. Bidding was coming down to the wire and I submitted a bid that was 500 more. For whatever reason it came back as unexpected error, try again. I did try 3 times, same. By this time the auction was over. I was fuming. I've sent comments voicing my concern at the situation, BAT shut them down, never posted. I've been in contact with someone at BAT by the name of Kellan in the past, I did send him a text, no answer. Did send a 2nd text a few hours later, still no answer. I've sent a tweet, no answer.

Kellan eventually responded one day later to advise the bank has declined my credit card and they have tried to reach me but my e-mails were bouncing. He sent me a picture showing the amount and transaction failed. I called TD and shouted at them. I called two times at several hours interval, both reps said the fault is on BAT side, they did not receive the charge, if they did it would have shown approved or declined. I pointed that out to Kellan, no response. I have also sent him an e-mail asking him to reply to it, no response received. Of course i have been receiving e-mails all this time and there is no reason for me to believe that Cogeco cable rejects them, there is nothing offensive. I've checked the spam and junk folders, there is nothing there.

Last night I did bid on a car that was due in 6 days just to see what happens. Bid was accepted no issues. I am still fuming but BAT is simply ignoring me. I doubt there is anything I can do now. I told Kellan this affects BAT credibility, of course no answer.

George
Old 04-16-2021, 04:49 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

BAT is so large that they don't care. they don't respond in any timely manner. they act like a monopoly. On the 997 turbo forum a car was discussed and in the pictures on the listing it is clearly leaking coolant, the member made a comment asking about this and BAT deleted this so others would not be aware of the problem and will continue to bid. this is not ethical IMO.
Old 04-16-2021, 08:07 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 133 Posts

BAT is so large that they don't care. they don't respond in any timely manner. they act like a monopoly. On the 997 turbo forum a car was discussed and in the pictures on the listing it is clearly leaking coolant, the member made a comment asking about this and BAT deleted this so others would not be aware of the problem and will continue to bid. this is not ethical IMO.
wow. Isn’t that fraud?
Old 04-16-2021, 08:12 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Really? That's the value of the comments, I think it's great people smarter than me about a car can comment and ask questions even if not buying. Brutal if that's what they are doing now.
halo777 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-17-2021, 10:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Henley1
I’ve bought 2 m3s off bat. Both already here in Canada. Both great deals for me. I sold my 997gt3 and barely it made sense. IMO you’ll get creamed selling that on bat. Despite the offer to ship across boarder thing, most states guys won’t want to deal with especially from a non dealer, too many question marks potentially. But that’s just my opinion.
Originally Posted by SToronto
Really? That's the value of the comments, I think it's great people smarter than me about a car can comment and ask questions even if not buying. Brutal if that's what they are doing now.
ya I guess they only care about short term revenues. this was discussed extensively on the 997 turbo board.
halo777 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-20-2021, 12:57 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. This has all been very helpful.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards listing the car (once the project is complete) on consignment somewhere local. Ill lose 5-10% to commission it seems, but I wont have to deal with a million nut jobs on Kijiji/Autotrader. I just went through that with another project car that I had, and it was the biggest waste of time ever. I had something like 10000+ views between the two listings, and often half a dozen different emails a day. I'm not interested in going through that again, and taking out people for test drives, who have absolutely no money to buy.

Ill probably give it a quick shot on here, once the car is ready.

Any experiences with dealers that specialize in custom cars on consignment in Ontario? Im OK if it is outside the GTA. My feeling is that if someone is seriously interested in the car, they will drive an hour or two to go see it. Im more concerned with getting a quality establishment.

Old 04-20-2021, 11:36 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

don't use CNC
I personally think you will have a better experience doing it yourself on cars n bids.
Consignment at a dealer will be cumbersome IMO.
halo777 (04-23-2021)
Old 04-23-2021, 11:30 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

thanks again everyone
Old 02-24-2024, 11:16 AM
Jim1997
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Henley1
I’ve bought 2 m3s off bat. Both already here in Canada. Both great deals for me. I sold my 997gt3 and barely it made sense. IMO you’ll get creamed selling that on bat. Despite the offer to ship across boarder thing, most states guys won’t want to deal with especially from a non dealer, too many question marks potentially. But that’s just my opinion.
Thanks for that info.

I am in Canada and am registered on their site....but I can't find any info on the currency anywhere.

I assume it's in US$ ?
Old 02-24-2024, 11:18 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Yep…us $
Jim1997 (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 11:29 AM
Jim1997
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you!
Onami (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 06:52 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 231 Posts

I've sold 4 cars on Bring a Trailer and won't do it again. Canadian cars don't do well at all on the site unless its uber rare like a 4.0 or something very limited.

The following 2 users liked this post by CamsPorsche:
Adamant1971 (02-24-2024), Dupla (02-24-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 09:59 PM
Dupla
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts

I listed a car on Bat before, and they wanted a no reserve auction which I declined. We then agreed on a reserve, but the car did not meet the reserve. I`m so glad I didn`t agree to a no reserve auction because after that my oldest son posted it on Facebook marketplace and I got 4k more for the car than what my reserve was on Bat. If you don`t have a special car that collectors want, Bat is not a place for Canadians to sell an average car. Most of Americans are not familiar on how to import a car, so they are clueless about the whole process. I sold my 2000 996 to a guy in Florida in 2018 without any problems whatsoever, but he knew exactly what he was doing, he used TFX, so it was a very smooth transaction.

Last edited by Dupla; 02-24-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Adamant1971 (02-25-2024)

Quick Reply: Bring a Trailer - Any Canadian Seller Experiences?