Notices

OT - House Electrical Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 10:35 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I have the issue in the basement and garage. Not enough outlets and the ones that are there... In the worst spots ever

Sadly what is so easy to do before drywall often isn’t done. This will be our first almost new home. After a month, haven’t actually discovered any serious shortcomings.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:15 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts

I'm finishing my basement and trying to 'think of everything' if nothing else so that the next home owner doesn't think 'why didn't they do .........'
Old 03-31-2021, 01:31 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I'm finishing my basement and trying to 'think of everything' if nothing else so that the next home owner doesn't think 'why didn't they do .........'
Run conduit. Then you never have to worry about missing out on some future standard or something you didn't think of.

When I built a few years back, I added a conduit chase from basement to attic stopping upstairs, from front to back of the family room (along with four conductor 12 gauge speaker wiring to both sides), and two drops to the basement from the great room and up to the TV as well. This is along with cat6 drops to every room. The conduits have come in handy for speakers and for some access points I added in later (up from central spot in basement to attic and dropped in for access point in the ceiling).
Old 03-31-2021, 11:19 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Assuming that another 30 outlets aren't on the same circuit as the initial 2 of course.
Although not optimal, you usually only run 1 outlet at a time in a home garage.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:12 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
Although not optimal, you usually only run 1 outlet at a time in a home garage.
LoL not in my home garage...then again the 100 amp sub panel helps that problem. Between the lift, air compressor (5hp ingersoll rand), heater, lights, opener, various tools, computer, welder, air circulation, etc. it can add up.

Honestly every garage should be wired these days with a small sub panel if the main panel isn't out there...given the drive to electric cars, having at least 50 amps out there is going to be a requirement.
Old 03-31-2021, 12:17 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
LoL not in my home garage...then again the 100 amp sub panel helps that problem. Between the lift, air compressor (5hp ingersoll rand), heater, lights, opener, various tools, computer, welder, air circulation, etc. it can add up.

Honestly every garage should be wired these days with a small sub panel if the main panel isn't out there...given the drive to electric cars, having at least 50 amps out there is going to be a requirement.
This is very important. Likely, my next car will be electric. WIth my house being fully finished and the panel at the other end of the house, there is no easy way to run a circuit to the garage to support a fast charging station. When the time comes, will likely have to run it out the side of the house, into the attic and down into the garage.

Quick Reply: OT - House Electrical Work