Notices

OT - House Electrical Work

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:14 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts
Default OT - House Electrical Work

I finished framing out my basement and got an electrical quote yesterday which way north of what I had anticipated/guesstimated. Not sure if there are any RL'ers who have their finger somewhat closer to the pulse on this stuff than I do. Nothing elaborate - 4 or 5 circuits, a couple of dozen pot lights, a dozen outlets, new 60 amp sub panel and a few switches. I had calc'd approx. $1,500 in materials and around $2k in labour ($100/hour 20 hours), however my quote was almost double that. Not sure if there is some sort of 200% Covid premium being applied of some sort. Needless to say I will get another quote or two but would welcome any input.

Cheers.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:51 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

I'm doing something similar at the moment with a master electrician, switching out all the old switches, adding a few circuits, replacing some pot lights, installing three new bathroom fans so the place doesn't sound like a helipad, We are adding an arc-fault circuit interrupter and asking him to clean up some of the original (bad) electrical work from the developer.

Quoted about 37.5 hours and we added maybe 6 more hours on top so just a bit over $2600 or so plus taxes, and including permits and inspections. The breakdown and transparency on the labour has been spot on so far, so no surprises. We shopped around for materials and could not get anywhere near the discount our electrician got us (he saved us over $1500.) Just good, clean, honest work. Having said that, we did come across a few electricians who did charge an undisclosed COVID markup, so maybe get a second opinion to be safe.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-26-2021 at 03:35 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Sounds a couple thousand high yeah...pull all the wire yourself, put the tails into the boxes, and have them just put the panel in and do the connections? Or just do it all yourself and pull a permit with ESA?
Old 03-26-2021, 12:37 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by #1SomeGuy
Sounds a couple thousand high yeah...pull all the wire yourself, put the tails into the boxes, and have them just put the panel in and do the connections? Or just do it all yourself and pull a permit with ESA?
Assuming one is not a certified electrician (i.e. me) can one do the work and simply apply for a permit/inspection from ESA? My assumption was no, but I could be wrong (I'm not too familiar with Ontario laws.) Seeing our electrician go through the pains and struggle of the stuff we needed done (not wanted) I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself.

Last edited by bcrdukes; 03-26-2021 at 12:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:10 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Yes if it’s your house you can pull the Esa permits and do it yourself. It’s like 200 or so for permit. I think that’s the min, then x amount extra for each “device” (plug/light/switch). Sounds pretty straight forward, check O’Neil electric supply or independent.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:17 AM
Henley1
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Also, rereading what your asking for, it might not be overly expensive.. keep in mind the breakers say you have priced out at HD might not be to code as some things need arc fault by code and there triple or 4x depending on brand of panel, your sub panel probably need to be fed with 6/8 gauge so might be 150 just for that feed.. believe it . On my first build about 5yr ago I priced out the whole house or what I thought was the whole house. My number was so low it was insane. It’s surprising how it adds up all the little stuff. Staples / protection plates and on and on.. just some food for thought.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:21 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

All the trades are busy with people having cash to do home renovation. Definitely a bit of COVID premium. Not worth their while if it is a small job. Or yours might not be their priority.

Get a few quotes. However, the cheapest might not be the best.

I look for quality of work, and them keeping their words and stay on schedule.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:35 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

If you are looking for an electrician I'd recommend Java Electric. Used them numerous times, Antonio the owner is great to work with as are his crew.

Old 03-26-2021, 10:30 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Thanks gents. I had actually inflated my estimate on parts and I know my $80 - $90 an hour on labour is right so something is amiss. Quote time it is although I was hoping to avoid that process if quote #1 was fair and reasonable. Cheers.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:38 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,173 Likes on 546 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Assuming one is not a certified electrician (i.e. me) can one do the work and simply apply for a permit/inspection from ESA? My assumption was no, but I could be wrong (I'm not too familiar with Ontario laws.) Seeing our electrician go through the pains and struggle of the stuff we needed done (not wanted) I'm glad I didn't attempt it myself.
I did mine myself. Even the hook up into the panel. Only issue the inspector found was that I needed to change the outlets to the newer child proof versions as the code had just changed during my Reno.

As others have said the trades are really busy because of Covid.
Old 03-26-2021, 11:37 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 559 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Yup, as mentioned, you can pull a permit and do it yourself. If anyone else does it for you, they need to be a licensed electrician.
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

on a related note, if you have an investment property you are renting out i thought you could not do it but needed a licensed electrician, does anyone know if that is true or if i just dreamed it up ?
Old 03-26-2021, 02:20 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by theiceman
on a related note, if you have an investment property you are renting out i thought you could not do it but needed a licensed electrician, does anyone know if that is true or if i just dreamed it up ?
I think you're good to go from ESA web site:

Last edited by pfitzsim; 03-26-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 02:37 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I think you're good to go from ESA web site:

that's good to know thanks.
Old 03-26-2021, 04:49 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
Thanks gents. I had actually inflated my estimate on parts and I know my $80 - $90 an hour on labour is right so something is amiss. Quote time it is although I was hoping to avoid that process if quote #1 was fair and reasonable. Cheers.
Make sure your car is in the garage with door closed to avoid the 'Porsche tax'
The following users liked this post:
Tj40 (03-26-2021)

Quick Reply: OT - House Electrical Work