Notices

trying to buy a new Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:13 PM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Received 361 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by RDMcG
Did the salesman actually take a deposit from you?
yes 5K
Old 03-25-2021, 09:28 PM
Pilot Sport 4S
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Because of our crappy exchange rate and with limited global supply, they will send product where they generate the greatest value for their bottom line. Simple as that !
Old 03-25-2021, 10:38 PM
RDMcG
Rennlist Member

Received 902 Likes on 469 Posts

There is indeed a shortage of cars coming in. Very little inventory. I believe there is huge demand from China in particular and of course the cars will go to the biggest markets. Sorry to hear you are having problems with the salesperson; might be a good idea to change and to get your deposit back and try another dealer. However, I think the supply shortage is real.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:19 AM
UncleDude
Rennlist Member

Received 5,563 Likes on 2,270 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
yes 5K
Refundable? I hope so, based on that exchange in the OP I’d get my money back and go elsewhere. IMO they’re not working very hard to get you a car.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:03 AM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by reacp911
just a regular boxster
Shop around. Lots of dealer where you live.

Email the SA and cc the sales manager that you are not happy and want to know. Walk if they are still iffy.

Or simply email all the other dealers’ sales managers. Give them your build code and tell them you will go pay the deposit if they have allocation. People drop out and allocation can open up.

Last edited by Dyim; 03-26-2021 at 08:07 AM.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:36 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,188 Likes on 779 Posts

I'll inquire with my dealer as I'm speaking with them today. Will let you know what I hear.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:07 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

With the help of this forum, I think I finally understand what is happening.

When I placed the order, the salesman described a process where my order is passed on to Porsche, and they then allocate a car using some equitable method. In reality, it seems, Porsche allocates cars to the dealer, and they in turn hand out allocations in some fashion. Question is, is this an equitable process, i.e., in chronological order, or in an order that maximizes dealer profit, i.e., if someone comes in later and orders a more expensive car, you get bumped?

So in order for me to have gotten a car at the promised time, I would have had to have had an allocation the next month or two after my order. Since this did not happen, something must have changed in January. Either allocations dried up due to Covid-19 or some other reason, or I got bumped. I don’t think the salesman has any part in this process, other than if he is not the favourite son, his orders may be more likely to get bumped. The salesman, though, could have warned me that there was a problem.

Before I ordered, I did check another nearby dealer. They gave a mid-late summer delivery, so I went with the salesman who promised a late spring delivery. At the time I imagined that the dealer I went with had a better allocation situation. I don’t imagine there were any open allocations at the time with any local dealer. The summer delivery dealer mentioned above is now saying they are taking orders for spring 2022.

So I think I am likely screwed. Perhaps new Porsches are not for people like me who like some sort of transparency in their lives. I had been looking for a 2013-2016 S, and I will go back to doing so. If I find one, then perhaps I will go banging on tables.

Old 03-26-2021, 09:18 AM
Mozella55
Instructor

Received 275 Likes on 114 Posts

Last August my dealer did the same thing to me. I thought I had ordered a new 718 Cayman, but when nothing was happening after nearly two months, I found out that they didn't even have an allocation, something they hid from me................... Sounds exactly what you experienced.

Most dealers have allocations for one kind of car or another and they routinely trade and/or buy them from other dealers. After educating myself on the Porsche allocation system, I contacted the dealer and told him he must get an allocation for a Cayman and place a REAL order within 48 hours or I would take my business to another dealer. By the way, I and already found another dealer with an allocation before I made this demand.
Sure enough, he traded or bought an allocation from some other dealer for a 2021 Cayman the next day.

Realize that you need not ever visit the dealer from whom you purchase your car. I did the whole thing via Email, got a great deal, and I'm happy with the car. Of course, if you find a dealer far away, you have to deal with picking up the car or perhaps having it delivered and that expense will be on you. Nevertheless, if you can save thousands of dollars by shopping at a distance, it might be worth while.................. depends on your point of view and how important it is to you to buy from a local source. To me, it's not important at all.

Anyhow, hold the dealer's feet to the fire, but first call around to see if you have options including the possibility of finding a dealer with an allocation who is willing to give you the deal you want............ or at least a deal you will accept.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:20 AM
reacp911
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SToronto
I'll inquire with my dealer as I'm speaking with them today. Will let you know what I hear.
I'd appreciate it
Old 03-26-2021, 09:21 AM
Slngshot
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

I would say the only thing that could save you is a buyer who backs out and you get offered that car.....
Keep on the management at that dealer, or get your money back and hit the other dealers country wide h-a-r-d if you want a car this year.
Old 03-26-2021, 09:57 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

supply does seem a bit dry

Only 10 available in stock in Canada. 1 Spyder, 5 GTS, 3 S, 1 base.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/...FilterType=NEW
Old 03-26-2021, 10:00 AM
OttawaSteve
Burning Brakes

Received 582 Likes on 314 Posts

One of the surprising and disappointing things about trying to buy a Porsche for the first time is that having the money to buy it by no means guarantees that you can get a car. I found it out in late 2015 when I tried to order a base Cayman (981). The only allocations available in Canada were for black edition Boxsters. I eventually got lucky and found a CS with a build that I could live with; otherwise I would have had to wait a year or more for the Turbo 4 Cayman. As noted, the OP is trying to acquire a car that should be easier than the GTS or GT cars, but I note that there is only one available on lots in Canada.
Old 03-26-2021, 10:14 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OttawaSteve
One of the surprising and disappointing things about trying to buy a Porsche for the first time is that having the money to buy it by no means guarantees that you can get a car. I found it out in late 2015 when I tried to order a base Cayman (981). The only allocations available in Canada were for black edition Boxsters. I eventually got lucky and found a CS with a build that I could live with; otherwise I would have had to wait a year or more for the Turbo 4 Cayman. As noted, the OP is trying to acquire a car that should be easier than the GTS or GT cars, but I note that there is only one available on lots in Canada.
Base models are surprisingly hard to find in Canada, some years there are less base than even GTS produced.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...n-numbers.html
Old 03-26-2021, 10:21 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 701 Likes on 343 Posts

I've lost patience with Porsche. Purchasing a car should not have to be this difficult. Which is why my days of buying 911's is likely behind me.
The following users liked this post:
vern1 (03-26-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 12:52 PM
rjag2034
Racer

Received 394 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Maitre_Absolut
supply does seem a bit dry

Only 10 available in stock in Canada. 1 Spyder, 5 GTS, 3 S, 1 base.

https://finder.porsche.com/ca/en_CA/...FilterType=NEW
Interesting that the GTS and S models are PDK...Manual are the Holy Grail now.

If you gave them a $5k deposit and they ahvent found you a car then you should just request it be returned and take your business elsewhere. Like the others have said, call all the dealers and tell them you are ready to buy. My dealership in Victoria does a fair bit of trade to clients outside of BC. But I suspect its the market, demand is really high and new orders will be prioritized to current clients as customer retention.

Theres definitely 2 groups being managed buying Porsches. Theres the front door general buyer and then theres the VIP backroom buyer. Just like a high end hotel, theres the front desk and then theres the private concierge desk on the 10th floor that you arent aware of

Quick Reply: trying to buy a new Porsche