Notices

997 GTS at Pfaff

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 11:26 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Maybe it's just me but I don't fin 10-12k per year all that bad.
Is there like a mileage expiry date sticker somewhere I'm not aware of?
Old 03-21-2021, 05:59 PM
Joeybats
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
You can PM and I'll share the specifics. In Pfaff's defense, a lot of the issues could likely be resolved via the CPO process, as they'd be obligated to deal with the issues found in order to CPO it again (if they in fact even able to CPO it per Porsche requirements). It would cost Pfaff a lot of money to bring it up to spec though, and I am not sure the math would work out @ $70k asking price. As always, Pfaff has been great to deal with throughout the process and they were understanding about our decision to pass.

Everyone's opinions are different, and someone else may think the car is perfectly good value - especially if the car can be CPO'd again for the asking price. But we were looking for a car my FIL could just buy, do basic maintenance and enjoy the car with not too much messing around or known upfront risk. This car could have just as easily been a high mile'er that otherwise was in great shape and ready to go - but that's why we do PPI's so we're not taking blind risk.
10+ year old car, stands to reason it's not perfect. You will be looking for a long time to find an example to drive around without any issues. SIMO
Old 03-21-2021, 07:27 PM
Pootz
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just came across this one the other day...
https://www.autotrader.ca/a/porsche/...01C2&sprx=1000

2010 White manual Carrera S with 43,000km (admit this is a low km car) but not greatly optioned for $99K. Market's going crazy. That's 991.2 money.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:11 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Pootz

2010 White manual Carrera S with 43,000km (admit this is a low km car) but not greatly optioned for $99K. Market's going crazy. That's 991.2 money.
All 997.2 Carrera owners must think they won the lottery! My opinion on the above linked car is that the owner is on uncut smack straight off the boat in Vancouver Harbour courtesy of the triads.

Last edited by red996; 03-22-2021 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-22-2021, 03:16 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 238 Likes on 158 Posts

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...ual/1556759644
Old 03-22-2021, 07:11 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I passed on a very similar base model manual coupe this time last year in Calgary, pre-covid. It was listed in the high 40's...
Old 03-22-2021, 09:13 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Wow for the comments from folks that know nothing about what the car requires.

Nice to see 997.2 values holding their own.

Wonder what one could get for a 2011, 38k km, highly optioned example.

Last edited by SToronto; 03-22-2021 at 10:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:59 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Can you PM with the issues please? It is tempting at the price point even with the high KMs.
Old 03-24-2021, 07:28 PM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 97 Posts

Been getting a ton of PM's asking about the PPI and can't keep on top of them. I'll just mention the issues here, it's really not a secret and doesn't reflect on Pfaff IMO. Again, they were very pleasant to deal with. I've purchased a 997TT and a Cayenne from them previously and will continue doing business with them in the future.

Major issues that were non-starters for me:
  • 2 minutes into the PPI test drive, check engine light came on; after return to shop, codes indicated cylinder misfires as well as lean air/fuel ratio issues. Misfires could be as simple as bad plugs or coil packs, or could be a bigger issue - further investigation required. A/F issues are likely related to bad O2 sensors or MAF sensor, or could be a bigger issue. Further investigation required. Previous owner did tell me that recently the CEL came on for him and Pfaff replaced the O2 sensor(s) under warranty. Maybe that didn't fix the issue, as the CEL is still coming on. Further, PO's post history here on RL shows the CEL issue has been an ongoing thing for some time. I also question the likelihood of the CEL just coincidentally tripping at the worst possible time - a PPI test drive. It's my opinion that it's more likely that the CEL was already an issue and was cleared, with fingers crossed it didn't present during the PPI - or else why not give me the heads up prior to PPI that there's a CEL issue and that it wiould be resolved...
  • One of the exhaust manifolds is severely damaged - it suffered an impact on something, bad enough it now sports major dents and cracked in multiple locations. Rather than replacing the damaged manifold, the previous owner (no offense intended here) had someone weld the cracks as a 'repair' and it was a poor weld / repair job at that. And it's still dented, likely impacting the exhaust gas flow on that bank of cylinders. The proper repair would have been to throw the exhaust manifold & integrated cat into the garbage, and replace it with new. It's a $1300 USD part, not exactly expensive in the grand scheme of things - it makes me question why the exhaust was repaired (poorly) rather than replaced with a new part. You can see the previous owner's post here on RL about the damaged manifold: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...st-system.html
Less important issues noted but together with above, were enough to have me pass:
  • The underbody of the car has an impressive amount of salt and dirt build up; Engineered Automotive commented that they've not ever seen a 997 car with such amount of salt build up, debris and corrosion
  • The front heat exchangers need to be replaced; they are very plugged and damaged from road debris, as one would expect with 155k km of (presumably) highway driving
  • Car is on its original clutch @ 155k km, no big deal but that's a $3500 job within the near future on top of everything else mentioned here
  • Interior HVAC fan is noisy, needs to be replaced
  • Corrosion on the B+ terminal of the transmission
  • Front lip is cracked, repair required
  • Front bumper tabs are cracked, repair required
  • Odd interior noise when driving from behind drivers seat - small potatoes but given everything else, EA still mentioned it in the report so it must have been quite out of the ordinary
Edit: All the above was found in the first 45mins of what would usually be a 3-4 hour PPI inspection. EA had the respect to call me after 45mins, tell me where they were at and asked whether I even wanted them to continue. Therefore the suspension, center locks, paint thickness & condition, etc... didn't even get looked at.

Someone is going to be investing the $ and time into bringing the car up to reliable, drivers condition. I didn't expect a fresh car. I believe it's a stretch to think this car can be brought up to CPO condition at $70k asking price unless Pfaff stole it from the PO. I think $50k would be a fair price given the miles, condition and repairs required / major services due. Who knows whether Pfaff is interested in parting with it at that price, I didn't ask.

As I said before, your opinion may be different than mine. My FIL isn't looking for a project car. I've previously owned a 140,000km 996 C4S that other than the mileage, was mint (for the mileage and age obviously), passed PPI with no major issues and required only routine maintenance in the several years I owned it. When the PPI comes back like this, coupled with the mileage and the $70k price tag, it's my cue it's not the right car for us. Maybe it's the right car for someone else though!

Last edited by cstyles; 03-24-2021 at 07:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by cstyles:
Babyelephant (04-05-2021), Maitre_Absolut (03-24-2021)
Old 03-24-2021, 07:56 PM
9INE97
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

I commend you for taking the time to write all that up and help your fellow enthusiasts. In my mind the CEL is the biggest unknown. Might be a good buy for someone that diy's depending on the final price and whether the CEL can be diagnosed.

Last edited by 9INE97; 03-24-2021 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:16 PM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Pootz

Not to thread hijack, but Pfaff just listed a 2017 991.2 GTS for 149k, probably close to its new MSRP. 4 years later its aleady classic !
Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Been getting a ton of PM's asking about the PPI and can't keep on top of them. I'll just mention the issues here, it's really not a secret and doesn't reflect on Pfaff IMO. Again, they were very pleasant to deal with. I've purchased a 997TT and a Cayenne from them previously and will continue doing business with them in the future.

Major issues that were non-starters for me:
  • 2 minutes into the PPI test drive, check engine light came on; after return to shop, codes indicated cylinder misfires as well as lean air/fuel ratio issues. Misfires could be as simple as bad plugs or coil packs, or could be a bigger issue - further investigation required. A/F issues are likely related to bad O2 sensors or MAF sensor, or could be a bigger issue. Further investigation required. Previous owner did tell me that recently the CEL came on for him and Pfaff replaced the O2 sensor(s) under warranty. Maybe that didn't fix the issue, as the CEL is still coming on. Further, PO's post history here on RL shows the CEL issue has been an ongoing thing for some time. I also question the likelihood of the CEL just coincidentally tripping at the worst possible time - a PPI test drive. It's my opinion that it's more likely that the CEL was already an issue and was cleared, with fingers crossed it didn't present during the PPI - or else why not give me the heads up prior to PPI that there's a CEL issue and that it wiould be resolved...
  • One of the exhaust manifolds is severely damaged - it suffered an impact on something, bad enough it now sports major dents and cracked in multiple locations. Rather than replacing the damaged manifold, the previous owner (no offense intended here) had someone weld the cracks as a 'repair' and it was a poor weld / repair job at that. And it's still dented, likely impacting the exhaust gas flow on that bank of cylinders. The proper repair would have been to throw the exhaust manifold & integrated cat into the garbage, and replace it with new. It's a $1300 USD part, not exactly expensive in the grand scheme of things - it makes me question why the exhaust was repaired (poorly) rather than replaced with a new part. You can see the previous owner's post here on RL about the damaged manifold: https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...st-system.html
!
I'm happy to chat with anyone who is interested in the car. I am a longtime Pfaff customer and have had 9 Porsches and I don't want anyone to feel like they don't know what they are buying. The exhaust repair was done by Pfaff Porsche, nothing to hide there, I was given the option of having them repair it and that's what I chose to do, has functioned well since with no issues. The CEL did come on last summer as well and the car was inspected by Pfaff Porsche and they found there had been a misfire at some point that set it off, never happened again. The CEL that went on a few months ago was an o2 sensor that they replaced. Never came on again after lots of driving before I traded it in. When I traded it in the car was sounding and driving well.

The car was always serviced by Pfaff Porsche and any little noise/change/issue that came up I always brought it to Pfaff Porsche. I am sure they will make sure the car is right for anyone who buys it. Pfaff is a good company with great people at that dealership, many of whom have become my friends.

The car is a driver's car and I drove it a lot (as did the first owner). Once a few things are smoothed out I am sure there is plenty of enjoyment to be had with this car.
The following users liked this post:
Babyelephant (04-05-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 09:54 AM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

I love how we can all have adult conversations with everyone's own thoughts and opinions without being down each others throats... I'm just trying to figure out if that is a Rennlist thing or a Canadian thing lol.... Maybe both.

I've inquired about the car as well.... maybe flipping my 997.1 Turbo for this and a 930...I don't doubt that Pfaff would make everything right for the new owner. They seem to be very good that way.
Old 03-25-2021, 10:08 AM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a Canadian thing....just sayin'
Old 03-25-2021, 11:46 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by 997turbocab
I love how we can all have adult conversations with everyone's own thoughts and opinions without being down each others throats... I'm just trying to figure out if that is a Rennlist thing or a Canadian thing lol.... Maybe both.

I've inquired about the car as well.... maybe flipping my 997.1 Turbo for this and a 930...I don't doubt that Pfaff would make everything right for the new owner. They seem to be very good that way.
Maybe Canadian thing? Have you been over to 992 GT3 section....haha....no opinion shall go unaddressed by others and vetted through a 10 stage process of debate.
The following users liked this post:
myw (04-08-2021)

Quick Reply: 997 GTS at Pfaff