Notices

WTB: Enclosed Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2021, 06:14 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wildcat077
I'm pre registered for the 2021 VARAC GP in June , and along with the three Classic races at Tremblant , i'm sure we'll run into each other at one point.Drop by anytime , Olive Green SP2 #96.
Are you doing the Formula Ford series ?
Just a heads up ... with a 28 ft trailer , good luck parking in the paddocks at Tremblant , the parking ***** are something else as compared to parking at Mosport ...

Cheers
Phil
I'm also signed up fro VARAC - will definitely look for you!

Yes, will be racing Formula Ford, in the Toyo series in Ontario. Will likely also do a race at Tremblant, as well as Montreal F1 (if they host it this year) because, well... because how could you not!?

Good to know - only times I've been to Tremblant have been track days where parking isn't much of an issue.

Last edited by porsche0nut; 01-10-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:31 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by SToronto
Saw this 2012 ATC MOTRSX8528TA3 on autoTRADER.ca's iPhone app
http://www.autotrader.ca/go/19-11689312
Thanks - this is exactly the idea of what I'm looking for - and the right price too. ATC definitely top of the list as far as a brand that I trust, and built-in cabinets and the vinyl floor/walls make such a difference.

I'm concerned about 28' long though. Towing with an F150 (crew cab, short box, tow package). The weight isn't a concern, the length of the trailer and resulting sway is. And as wildcat mentioned - parking at the track.

Would love to hear thoughts from those who have been there!
Old 01-10-2021, 07:32 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Thanks - this is exactly the idea of what I'm looking for - and the right price too. ATC definitely top of the list as far as a brand that I trust, and built-in cabinets and the vinyl floor/walls make such a difference.

I'm concerned about 28' long though. Towing with an F150 (crew cab, short box, tow package). The weight isn't a concern, the length of the trailer and resulting sway is. And as wildcat mentioned - parking at the track.

Would love to hear thoughts from those who have been there!
A 20' is 24 total length, so 24' is 28' long, maybe thats what he meant
Old 01-11-2021, 02:44 AM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 164 Posts

On a side note , i tow my trailer with a 2010 5.4 F150 and the power is not the issue , but the tongue weight on a stock suspension is ...
It's pretty sketchy towing 7-8 thousand pounds when your headlights are pointing to the sky.After i installed air bags on the rear suspension , everything was fine for
a 20 ft trailer , although you can probably distribute the weight more evenly with a longer trailer.
In your case with a Formula car you should be fine !

I almost went into the guardrail on the 401 on a long right hand uphill sweeper before Peterborough on the way to Mosport ... that's when i decided to install air bags
to level out the truck, might be something to consider.

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-12-2021, 08:48 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by wildcat077
On a side note , i tow my trailer with a 2010 5.4 F150 and the power is not the issue , but the tongue weight on a stock suspension is ...
It's pretty sketchy towing 7-8 thousand pounds when your headlights are pointing to the sky.After i installed air bags on the rear suspension , everything was fine for
a 20 ft trailer , although you can probably distribute the weight more evenly with a longer trailer.
In your case with a Formula car you should be fine !

I almost went into the guardrail on the 401 on a long right hand uphill sweeper before Peterborough on the way to Mosport ... that's when i decided to install air bags
to level out the truck, might be something to consider.

Cheers
Phil
Thanks Phil - like you say, I doubt it'll be an issue with the relatively light F1600 (1000lbs!) but for future use with sports cars maybe something to consider (if I don't have a 250 by then!).

My concern when getting up into the really long trailers (28' + tongue) is the sway effect from cross winds / transport trucks etc. Even with weight distribution hitch... oh, and like you had mentioned, the issue of parking and maneuvering - I just don't think I want a trailer that big. 24' is probably my limit, and 20-22 probably the goldilocks length.
Old 01-12-2021, 08:49 AM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by jumper5836
A 20' is 24 total length, so 24' is 28' long, maybe thats what he meant
This particular trailer for sale was 28' inside length. That's a beast of a trailer! Too bad - checked a lot of the boxes aside from location and size! But they're out there... just gotta keep my eyes peeled. Or hope someone selling sees this thread!
Old 01-18-2021, 11:35 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

I am an owner of Primo Trailer Sales. We are an ATC, Trailex and Look dealer.

You won't be happy towing a 28' trailer with an F150. Way too much weight. Way too much tongue weight even with weight distribution system and/or airbags on the rear. 24' aluminum would be the absolute max and even then.
I drive an F150 and we have 250s.

I wouldn't buy a steel car trailer. Way too heavy. You want lightweight if towing behind a F150. And lightweight will cost more but it's cheaper than buying and operating a 250 to pull a heavy steel trailer.

Have a look around for an ATC Raven. It's good quality at a competitive price.

To your criteria I'd add:
- Torsion Axle Suspension
- Radial Tires

Right now it's a sellers market. Supply chains are screwed up, material shortages commonplace and plants operating well below capacity if at all.
This has driven up price of anything used. Good luck with your search. $15k Canadian is tough.

Chris.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:23 PM
porsche0nut
Race Car

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
I am an owner of Primo Trailer Sales. We are an ATC, Trailex and Look dealer.

You won't be happy towing a 28' trailer with an F150. Way too much weight. Way too much tongue weight even with weight distribution system and/or airbags on the rear. 24' aluminum would be the absolute max and even then.
I drive an F150 and we have 250s.

I wouldn't buy a steel car trailer. Way too heavy. You want lightweight if towing behind a F150. And lightweight will cost more but it's cheaper than buying and operating a 250 to pull a heavy steel trailer.

Have a look around for an ATC Raven. It's good quality at a competitive price.

To your criteria I'd add:
- Torsion Axle Suspension
- Radial Tires

Right now it's a sellers market. Supply chains are screwed up, material shortages commonplace and plants operating well below capacity if at all.
This has driven up price of anything used. Good luck with your search. $15k Canadian is tough.

Chris.
Thanks Chris - this is great information and I will take note of those additional criteria. Out of curiosity, what are stock levels like on new ATC's? Do you have inventory, and what kind of price ranges would say, a new ATC Raven 20-22' be? Feel free to PM me.

If anything used hits your radar please let me know.

I hear you on the market for trailers right now... worst case, I'll find something smaller/simpler and use it for the F1600 (which is far smaller than a sportscar) and upgrade in a few years when things aren't so crazy (or my budget grows).
Old 01-20-2021, 12:14 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by porsche0nut
Thanks Chris - this is great information and I will take note of those additional criteria. Out of curiosity, what are stock levels like on new ATC's? Do you have inventory, and what kind of price ranges would say, a new ATC Raven 20-22' be? Feel free to PM me.

If anything used hits your radar please let me know.

I hear you on the market for trailers right now... worst case, I'll find something smaller/simpler and use it for the F1600 (which is far smaller than a sportscar) and upgrade in a few years when things aren't so crazy (or my budget grows).
There are a few in progress at the factory and it's hit and miss should they have them in stock or not. The later we go into spring the fewer will be available.

You will be looking around roughly $20k for a new 20' Raven with 5000# Torsion Axles and the premium side access door which comes with 7' interior height and some extra framing. $ goes up from there.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:53 PM
Neb
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

There are a few in progress at the factory and it's hit and miss should they have them in stock or not. The later we go into spring the fewer will be available.

You will be looking around roughly $20k for a new 20' Raven with 5000# Torsion Axles and the premium side access door which comes with 7' interior height and some extra framing. $ goes up from there.
Does Primo sell parts for trailex trailers? I emailed your sales staff months ago without reply, and also tried to follow up with the manager. Never heard back.

Old 01-20-2021, 04:08 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Neb
Does Primo sell parts for trailex trailers? I emailed your sales staff months ago without reply, and also tried to follow up with the manager. Never heard back.
Depends what you are looking for. Some things we have but if it is one specific piece you'll have to go direct to Trailex as the freight & brokerage make ordering small orders prohibitive.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:20 PM
Neb
Racer

Depends what you are looking for. Some things we have but if it is one specific piece you'll have to go direct to Trailex as the freight & brokerage make ordering small orders prohibitive.
Sorry to hijacking the thread.

Looking for a winch platform, tool box mounting kit, extra T bolt and nuts for a CT-8045. Do you stock those or should I go direct to trailex?
Old 01-20-2021, 04:27 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by Neb
Sorry to hijacking the thread.

Looking for a winch platform, tool box mounting kit, extra T bolt and nuts for a CT-8045. Do you stock those or should I go direct to trailex?
We have a winch mounting platform. We do not have the tool box kit.

Give Jamie a call 613-596-9696 Press the prompt for parts.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:35 PM
Neb
Racer

We have a winch mounting platform. We do not have the tool box kit.

Give Jamie a call 613-596-9696 Press the prompt for parts.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: WTB: Enclosed Trailer