Notices

Fixed Pricing on CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2020, 05:37 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
why would you need brand loyalty to get something covered that is under warranty ? thats BS..

Sounds like Porsche is just like every other ****ty car company out there that wiggles to get out of as many warranty claims as possible. they are all suits and smiles till you sign , at the end of the day they are just car more car salesmen .. no better tan any other brand.
That's exactly my take on it. Fine by me - I'll buy another Porsche again someday (would like to replace my 991.1 with a 992 NA 4 litre should they roll that out), but it won't be a new one...

Even within the VWAG I've had better luck with other brands. My Golf R has had quite a few issues, all of which were looked after with zero hassle or fight. That car *is* modded and it still wasn't a problem.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:40 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 596 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Anakin Skywalker
I bought the same coverage on my 997.2 Turbo, which now has 110k km, so my CPO goes until the spring of 2022. It cost the same as the coverage on your car. I’ve had the CPO on the turbo since I bought it in 2016 and I’m quite sure that the cost of the warranty repairs exceed the cost of the warranty. The only thing they wouldn’t cover for me was the clamps which hold on the tail pipes - and I’ve had a few expensive things go wrong. So far so good...
My dealer told me last year that PNA will now extend CPO for a full 13 years from the in service date. You have to keep the coverage continuous. If nothing else it means PNA is prepared to warranty a car Bumper to bumper for 13 years, which is impressive.
Good luck with your car!
AS
Are you saying you can continue to extend the CPO warranty?
Old 09-23-2020, 08:32 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by repcapale
Are you saying you can continue to extend the CPO warranty?
When I extended my CPO last year they said they would do it again when it was up for renewal in two years. In other words the current CPO will expire when the car is 10 years old and PNA will then extend it to when it will be 12 years old and then another year beyond that. Unless I have a similar problem to Koala above I likely will.
I am sure that the warranty claims since I’ve owned my TT have exceeded the cost of the CPO.
It did strike me as odd that PNA would give bumper to bumper warranty coverage for up to 13 years from date of manufacturer since no other manufacturer does that but it’s worked out for me so far so I’ll take it if they’re offering.
One downside is that you can’t mod your car under CPO - if that’s your thing. I’ve never liked my phone connectivity to PCM 3.0 and I think I’m stuck with the OEM unit until the warranty expires.
AS
Old 09-23-2020, 09:45 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

When I extended my CPO last year they said they would do it again when it was up for renewal in two years. In other words the current CPO will expire when the car is 10 years old and PNA will then extend it to when it will be 12 years old and then another year beyond that. Unless I have a similar problem to Koala above I likely will.
I am sure that the warranty claims since I’ve owned my TT have exceeded the cost of the CPO.
It did strike me as odd that PNA would give bumper to bumper warranty coverage for up to 13 years from date of manufacturer since no other manufacturer does that but it’s worked out for me so far so I’ll take it if they’re offering.
One downside is that you can’t mod your car under CPO - if that’s your thing. I’ve never liked my phone connectivity to PCM 3.0 and I think I’m stuck with the OEM unit until the warranty expires.
AS
Do you have to have the car inspected with each extension? If so, then that's $700 plus brakes, tires and an alignment in most cases in addition to the cost of the warranty. That was the issue with my Macan. The tires were at 45% remaining and the brakes at 40%. Both needed to be at 50% or more to get a CPO warranty. Total cost for all was in excess of $9,000!

Old 09-23-2020, 10:29 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Do you have to have the car inspected with each extension? If so, then that's $700 plus brakes, tires and an alignment in most cases in addition to the cost of the warranty. That was the issue with my Macan. The tires were at 45% remaining and the brakes at 40%. Both needed to be at 50% or more to get a CPO warranty. Total cost for all was in excess of $9,000!
that's funny, as they wont cover consumables with the warranty, such as tires breaks etc .. lol .

its just a cash grab like any other..

Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

^ Yep total cash grab and 1000% BS. That may be on the CPO inspection checklist, but they only check when you are paying to fix it. If that was a dealer CPO car they would give it a pass with one eye closed.

Basically any car that looks clean and has under 50,000 km's passes with flying colors. It's just the marketing machine at work.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:45 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

AS
Oh man, having now done an aftermarket Android Auto/CarPlay integration I'd gladly forgo more useless CPO haha
Old 09-23-2020, 11:48 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by Onami

I think the inspection was less than $700, but my TT is always current on consumables so it always passes easily. Last time they said my rear tires needed to be replaced but I knew they were fine and I told them that I’d have them replaced by my tire guy if they insisted and they said they’d give me the CPO anyway.
I don’t know about the Macan but I can tell you that there are things that can go wrong with Turbos that are really expensive to repair - and Id rather fix my repair costs for them at 2k per year. Part of the math is how much the car is actually worth.

Old 09-23-2020, 11:51 AM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Originally Posted by koala
Oh man, having now done an aftermarket Android Auto/CarPlay integration I'd gladly forgo more useless CPO haha

One of my frustrations is that Porsche has released a head unit upgrade for 996s but not 997s. So the OEM head unit for an older 996 is now more current than my 997.2 - which is still under warranty!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:14 PM
YYC991.2
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

The Calgary dealership quoted me $350 for the CPO inspection. I'm a little concerned that they may try to ding me on the brakes as they were at 5-6mm when I got the PPI done 6 weeks or 2k ago. On a side note, does anyone know what 50% brakes is defined as in terms of mm? The tires were replaced 3k ago prior to purchase so not concerned there. When I get the 4 year inspection done week after next at Weissach I'm going to check out what they have for extended warranty and may just go with them to avoid the hassle as their service guy indicated they do offer extended warranty under these circumstances. Ultimately, I'm buying the warranty mostly for resale purposes. I can imagine myself upgrading vehicles either end of summer next year or next as I don't plan to hold long term.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:17 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

One of my frustrations is that Porsche has released a head unit upgrade for 996s but not 997s. So the OEM head unit for an older 996 is now more current than my 997.2 - which is still under warranty!
True. The aftermarket solutions for the PCM 3.1 are pretty well priced, though. I also gained a backup camera out of it, which is fantastic!

Quick Reply: Fixed Pricing on CPO warranty?