Notices

Fixed Pricing on CPO warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2020, 07:05 PM
YYC991.2
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Fixed Pricing on CPO warranty?

My recently acquired 2017 C4S factory warranty is expiring at the end of October and didn't have CPO as I purchased the vehicle privately. I stopped by Porsche Centre Calgary on the weekend to pick up a trickle charger and enquired as to the cost of the additional 2 years and was told $3,995 + tax with a mandatory inspection which I'm not overly concerned with as I got a PPI done up at the dealership in Edmonton with no issues noted 6 weeks ago. I'm surprised that the costing is the same regardless of what the mileage on the vehicle is (I'm currently at 30K). Anyone have any experience with the CPO add-on?
Old 09-21-2020, 07:43 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC991.2
My recently acquired 2017 C4S factory warranty is expiring at the end of October and didn't have CPO as I purchased the vehicle privately. I stopped by Porsche Centre Calgary on the weekend to pick up a trickle charger and enquired as to the cost of the additional 2 years and was told $3,995 + tax with a mandatory inspection which I'm not overly concerned with as I got a PPI done up at the dealership in Edmonton with no issues noted 6 weeks ago. I'm surprised that the costing is the same regardless of what the mileage on the vehicle is (I'm currently at 30K). Anyone have any experience with the CPO add-on?
I personally had very bad luck with CPO coverage on mine. I have a long list of items that I was denied coverage on. The total cost of all items that should have been covered (all items that have been covered for other individuals), is about $23,000. I'd recommend looking into an aftermarket warranty such as http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/ - they quoted me $2,799 for a 3 year/60km warranty back in 2018.

Again, a lot of this comes down to how horrendous Porsche Centre Calgary is. Especially when you didn't buy the car from them, which was also the case for me (purchased mine CPO'd from Porsche Centre Oakville).
Old 09-21-2020, 08:21 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

It’s like insurance, great if you need it and useless if you don’t. My 2 cents is that it protects you if you have a major failure that is covered. That’s a big if.

Old 09-21-2020, 08:42 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 651 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by koala
I personally had very bad luck with CPO coverage on mine. I have a long list of items that I was denied coverage on. The total cost of all items that should have been covered (all items that have been covered for other individuals), is about $23,000. I'd recommend looking into an aftermarket warranty such as http://www.a-protectwarranty.com/ - they quoted me $2,799 for a 3 year/60km warranty back in 2018.

Again, a lot of this comes down to how horrendous Porsche Centre Calgary is. Especially when you didn't buy the car from them, which was also the case for me (purchased mine CPO'd from Porsche Centre Oakville).
curious. What makes you think after market is better? I would think they would try and hose you worse than porsche.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:11 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

It really is a shame that all these companies waste time on trying to deny coverage...I mean can they not make it clear, cut, and dry as to what's in or out...or just cover everything.

I would pay good money to have the option of up to 10 years of complete coverage of literally everything including wear items with OEM replacements. Sure it might cost a lot up front, but not having to think twice about anything for the entire life of the vehicle would be awesome.
Old 09-21-2020, 10:23 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

I nearly put a cpo warranty on my 2015 Macan S. It was 2.5 years old and had 40k on it. The inspection was going to be $700 and the brakes and tires have to be grater than 50% if I recall correctly. They also told me if it needed tires they would have to do a 4 wheel alignment. The totall would have been over $9000! I traded it in on a new car at another dealer...
Old 09-22-2020, 03:04 AM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

What failures weren't covered? Other than consumables (tires, brakes, clutch etc.) the warranty language reads like the original 4-year factory coverage.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:30 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

You can negotiate the cost. No guarantee on your results. But I weighed the cost of putting CPO on my 997.2 when the previous CPO expired. Wasn't worth it based on the amount I drive the car. Now 2 years on, there have been zero issues with the car. So in theory I saved money by not buying the CPO. But it's totally like insurance as somebody else mentioned above.
Old 09-22-2020, 09:31 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
What failures weren't covered? Other than consumables (tires, brakes, clutch etc.) the warranty language reads like the original 4-year factory coverage.
That's the way it has been pitched to me. It's factory coverage.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:04 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

The reality is CPO is a money maker. Honestly, if the car is in good nick, and if you take care of it I wouldn’t bother.

But if you think there is a chance you may sell the car down the road and before the CPO would expire, then get it as it will add to the resale value.

Just to add that I own two CPO vehicles, a Honda and a VW. The Honda did not use the CPO once, total waste. The Golf R has used it but only to just over 2k when my total cost of that CPO was 3500 (with the inspections).

Last edited by Adamant1971; 09-22-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:58 AM
koala
Rennlist Member

Warped door cards - $2k each ($4k total)
Passenger door rubber stripping misaligned from factory and split the rubber - $400
Driver tail light delamination - $400
Gas tank pads misaligned from factory - dealer wouldn't even follow the service bulletin and quoted me $3,000 to fix
Reverse lights no longer function, $17,000 for a new transmission as it's not a serviceable part and requires a complete transmission replacement

CPO absolutely does function like an extension of the factory warranty. I had a big fight with PCNA and Porsche Centre Calgary on the transmission failure in particular. Each of them refused to take responsibility. PCNA literally told me they determine coverage based on "many factors including age, mileage, care of the vehicle, and loyalty to your dealership and the Porsche brand" - I was 33 when I purchased my 991, it is my first Porsche. Hard to build brand loyalty with stuff like this, haha

Last edited by koala; 09-22-2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old 09-22-2020, 03:01 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by YYC991.2
I bought the same coverage on my 997.2 Turbo, which now has 110k km, so my CPO goes until the spring of 2022. It cost the same as the coverage on your car. I’ve had the CPO on the turbo since I bought it in 2016 and I’m quite sure that the cost of the warranty repairs exceed the cost of the warranty. The only thing they wouldn’t cover for me was the clamps which hold on the tail pipes - and I’ve had a few expensive things go wrong. So far so good...
My dealer told me last year that PNA will now extend CPO for a full 13 years from the in service date. You have to keep the coverage continuous. If nothing else it means PNA is prepared to warranty a car Bumper to bumper for 13 years, which is impressive.
Good luck with your car!
AS
Old 09-22-2020, 04:10 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,629 Likes on 783 Posts

Passenger door rubber stripping misaligned from factory and split the rubber - $400
Gas tank pads misaligned from factory - dealer wouldn't even follow the service bulletin and quoted me $3,000 to fix
Reverse lights no longer function, $17,000 for a new transmission as it's not a serviceable part and requires a complete transmission replacement

CPO absolutely does function like an extension of the factory warranty. I had a big fight with PCNA and Porsche Centre Calgary on the transmission failure in particular. Each of them refused to take responsibility. PCNA literally told me they determine coverage based on "many factors including age, mileage, care of the vehicle, and loyalty to your dealership and the Porsche brand" - I was 33 when I purchased my 991, it is my first Porsche. Hard to build brand loyalty with stuff like this, haha
At what mileage did PDK fail? Had the car been serviced according to manufacturer's schedule (although there's no service on a PDK until mileage and age is pretty high)? Seems odd that a warranty replacement would be denied unless there were other factors at play...such as the car being tracked or modded.
Old 09-22-2020, 04:15 PM
koala
Rennlist Member

At what mileage did PDK fail? Had the car been serviced according to manufacturer's schedule (although there's no service on a PDK until mileage and age is pretty high)? Seems odd that a warranty replacement would be denied unless there were other factors at play...such as the car being tracked or modded.
7-speed manual. There is a pin in the transmission that is engaged when the car is shifted into reverse that depresses a plunger-style switch on the outside of the transmission to tell the car that it is in reverse. That pin broke off at about 42,000 km. Known issue, lots of documented cases on Rennlist. I even produced to PCNA and the local dealer, work orders on other cars that had the same issue, there was even one that they looked after where the car had 90,000 miles (144,000 km).

Car was 100% up to date on service. Gear oil isn't due until 10 years / 120,000 km so they couldn't blame it on that. Never tracked, no performance modifications.

The end result ended up being a local independent shop coming up with a workaround with a $2 part and about 3 hours of labour.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:32 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

why would you need brand loyalty to get something covered that is under warranty ? thats BS..

Sounds like Porsche is just like every other ****ty car company out there that wiggles to get out of as many warranty claims as possible. they are all suits and smiles till you sign , at the end of the day they are just car more car salesmen .. no better tan any other brand.

Quick Reply: Fixed Pricing on CPO warranty?