OT: Squirrely Handling - 2017 Toyota Corolla iM

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2020, 03:00 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts
Default OT: Squirrely Handling - 2017 Toyota Corolla iM

Hi Rennlisters,

Looking to get some advice/input on how to tackle my issue specific to my 2017 Toyota Corolla iM. Before you laugh, it's my daily driver, and it's a great handling car, and most importantly, very reliable.

So back in 2019, I had a set of H&R lowering springs installed for my Corolla iM, and aligned at a local shop. Overall installation went well, car drove and handled great. Up until about a few weeks ago, I noticed that the car's handling capabilities are a bit squirrely, as in, taking corners, the car is understeering, and there is a lot more bouncing back and forth.

Alignment was done at time of installation, so it hasn't been checked in over a year. I haven't hit any pot holes or anything like that, and tires are in great shape (Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ approximately 20,000 KM?) I don't think the shocks are blown, and no rattling to suggest broken drop links or issues with the sway bar, but the car is definitely a lot more "bouncy" so to say. The car used to be really tight on the corners, but not anymore. Any leads on what to look for before I throw in the towel for a shop to diagnose? Thanks in advance.

bcrdukes
Old 09-14-2020, 03:07 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

If it's bouncing then the dampers aren't controlling the springs any longer. You got dead shocks/struts/damping devices.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

shocks are blown or not matched to the springs.
bcrdukes (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:10 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

I really was hoping a "squirrel" was involved with this thread. The red one's are buggers for sure
what happens when you press down on a fender/bumper and release? how much travel? does it just return to ride height or bounce more than once? that is a good place to start. Can you visually see the shocks? any leaks?
Toyota forum may have better answers? Good luck.
bcrdukes (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:17 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by venom51
If it's bouncing then the dampers aren't controlling the springs any longer. You got dead shocks/struts/damping devices.
Originally Posted by theiceman
shocks are blown or not matched to the springs.
Wow, thanks for the quick reply guys.

Despite what I posted above, my first suspicion were shocks. Sadly, there are no aftermarket options (i.e. Koni/Bilstein) so OE shocks are my only option. Sad that the shocks only lasted a year on these springs. I may have to revert to stock, or find a coilover setup.

I forgot to mention that my stopping capability has reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. I really have to press on the brake pedal, and there's a sudden "jolt" at the beginning, and the stopping distance is awful. Brake pads and rotors are in great condition with over 75% remaining (based on technician's note back in April of this year.)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:21 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 136 Posts

Well it's a 2017 so unless you bolted on new ones when you changed the srpings then they lasted 3 years. Still not good but not a year.

Your last sentence worries me. While shocks would have a marginal impact on stopping distance clunking and high pedal pressure indicates other things have gone awry. Forget the shocks for now look at that brake system first.
bcrdukes (09-14-2020)
Old 09-14-2020, 03:34 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I really was hoping a "squirrel" was involved with this thread. The red one's are buggers for sure
what happens when you press down on a fender/bumper and release? how much travel? does it just return to ride height or bounce more than once? that is a good place to start. Can you visually see the shocks? any leaks?
Toyota forum may have better answers? Good luck.
haha luckily, no squirrels were involved

I'll check to see if any leaks on the shocks, and try pressing on the fender/bumper and report back later this evening.

I have to go through a freakin' sea of aggressive speed bumps upon entry and exit of my condo's underground parking garage. Originally, when going over the bump, it was a simple bump and recovery, but now, there's a bit of bounce, albeit not aggressive in nature, just short, quick bounces.
Old 09-14-2020, 03:39 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by venom51
Well it's a 2017 so unless you bolted on new ones when you changed the srpings then they lasted 3 years. Still not good but not a year.

Your last sentence worries me. While shocks would have a marginal impact on stopping distance clunking and high pedal pressure indicates other things have gone awry. Forget the shocks for now look at that brake system first.
I reused the factory shocks when I changed the springs last year. It would have had around 47,500KM on them at the time, give or take 2000KM. I'm now at 60K'ish, almost at 61,000KM.

A winter or two ago, one of my calipers seized due to the winter, so I needed them rebuilt. I hope this isn't the case again. I used to be able to modulate braking and travel effortlessly, but it requires a bit more effort. Coincidence this is happening the same time as the suspension issue.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:40 PM
Dyim
Drifting

Received 1,045 Likes on 559 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Hi Rennlisters,

Looking to get some advice/input on how to tackle my issue specific to my 2017 Toyota Corolla iM. Before you laugh, it's my daily driver, and it's a great handling car, and most importantly, very reliable.

So back in 2019, I had a set of H&R lowering springs installed for my Corolla iM, and aligned at a local shop. Overall installation went well, car drove and handled great. Up until about a few weeks ago, I noticed that the car's handling capabilities are a bit squirrely, as in, taking corners, the car is understeering, and there is a lot more bouncing back and forth.

Alignment was done at time of installation, so it hasn't been checked in over a year. I haven't hit any pot holes or anything like that, and tires are in great shape (Michelin Pilot Sport AS/3+ approximately 20,000 KM?) I don't think the shocks are blown, and no rattling to suggest broken drop links or issues with the sway bar, but the car is definitely a lot more "bouncy" so to say. The car used to be really tight on the corners, but not anymore. Any leads on what to look for before I throw in the towel for a shop to diagnose? Thanks in advance.

bcrdukes
3 years and 60k, I am not so sure. Grant it, you modded the suspension.

If you want to mod, I would consider a civic as your next car. Probably a lot more aftermarket options.

Despite what I posted above, my first suspicion were shocks. Sadly, there are no aftermarket options (i.e. Koni/Bilstein) so OE shocks are my only option. Sad that the shocks only lasted a year on these springs. I may have to revert to stock, or find a coilover setup.

I forgot to mention that my stopping capability has reduced SIGNIFICANTLY. I really have to press on the brake pedal, and there's a sudden "jolt" at the beginning, and the stopping distance is awful. Brake pads and rotors are in great condition with over 75% remaining (based on technician's note back in April of this year.)
Did you check the brake fluid? Maybe you boiled it with some heavy stops?
Old 09-15-2020, 11:57 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

Chuck the POS break the bank step up and go out and get a pee shooter Honda Civic move to Brampton , start wearing you pants around your ankles and find a girlfriend that remotely looks like a worse version of Cardi B for the passenger seat and your golden . Corolla give me a break ...That's like putting lipstick on a pig ...Good reliable car but who on gods green earth puts lowering springs on one wtf ? Perhaps for my grandmothers 90th birthday I will get her a pair of see thru 8 inch stilettos ..Boiling brake fluid on a Corolla that's the funniest thing I have ever heard you guys are killing me !! I love this stuff...

Last edited by rileyracing1; 09-16-2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:16 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You slammed a Toyota Corolla? On used stock shocks? And didn''t know the pitted shocks would leak? And had the courage to post it here? You win something, just not sure what.
Old 09-16-2020, 01:12 AM
Mike K.
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Boiling brake fluid? On the track. it takes 2-3 laps ,even in the wet ,before your foot hits the floor in a street car. On the street it is not an issue.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Sounds like the brake booster is shot. I would put everything back to stock. All the modifications you did to this car just ruined it.
bcrdukes (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:04 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Dampers work in bound and rebound. If they are shot not only do you get handling issues but brake performance will be ruined as well. Check if Tokico or KYB has options

Off topic were the bump stops trimmed when the new springs went on?
bcrdukes (09-16-2020)
Old 09-16-2020, 01:11 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Chuck the POS break the bank step up and go out and get a pee shooter Honda Civic move to Brampton , start wearing you pants around your ankles and find a girlfriend that remotely looks like a worse version of Cardi B for the passenger seat and your golden . Corolla give me a break ...That's like putting lipstick on a pig ...Good reliable car but who on gods green earth puts lowering springs on one wtf ? Perhaps for my grandmothers 90th birthday I will get her a pair of see thru 8 inch stilettos ..Boiling brake fluid on a Corolla that's the funniest thing I have ever heard you guys are killing me !! I love this stuff...
Why not? I put springs on my 19 Cooper S that my wife mostly drives

Do you know how many H&R kits we do a week on puddle hopper SUVs 3-6.. most straight from the dealer lot. Hell we have a Macan Turbo booked in next week for springs and Fabspeed exhaust

​​​​​​

Quick Reply: OT: Squirrely Handling - 2017 Toyota Corolla iM