Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020, 12:33 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Off Topic: Renovations in GTA

Hi GTA Rennlisters,

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.

I've put an offer on a townhome in Mississauga, and close to hitting all the conditions. Today is the home inspection. I don't expect any serious or nasty surprises. Having said that, there are a few things I would like to do for the place, and would like to hear some recommendations for a team that can do full end-to-end project management, including some design, permits (if required) and whatnot. What I am looking to have done:

- Replace all the light switches to something newer (Legrand)
- Potentially remove/replace the existing HVAC system. We suspect it is end-of-life. I would prefer a tankless system, and an energy efficient air conditioning unit.
- Potentially redo the kitchen cabinets. The owner did a good job refacing them, but it is pretty gross inside.
- Potentially install a small powder room on the main floor den/family room. I want to turn this space into an office and small media room.
- Replace the original floors and rip out some carpet upstairs.
- Change the existing shower head/system

Any leads/recommendations for a request for quote is appreciated. Thanks!

bcrdukes
Old 08-11-2020, 02:26 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
Hi GTA Rennlisters,

Hope you all enjoyed the weekend.

I've put an offer on a townhome in Mississauga, and close to hitting all the conditions. Today is the home inspection. I don't expect any serious or nasty surprises. Having said that, there are a few things I would like to do for the place, and would like to hear some recommendations for a team that can do full end-to-end project management, including some design, permits (if required) and whatnot. What I am looking to have done:

- Replace all the light switches to something newer (Legrand)
- Potentially remove/replace the existing HVAC system. We suspect it is end-of-life. I would prefer a tankless system, and an energy efficient air conditioning unit.
- Potentially redo the kitchen cabinets. The owner did a good job refacing them, but it is pretty gross inside.
- Potentially install a small powder room on the main floor den/family room. I want to turn this space into an office and small media room.
- Replace the original floors and rip out some carpet upstairs.
- Change the existing shower head/system

Any leads/recommendations for a request for quote is appreciated. Thanks!

bcrdukes
- Light switches are easy to do yourself. Main issue is to turn power off at breakers and it helps to have proper labeling for each breaker. Use a voltage pen or tester to verify power off.
- Replacing HVAC is cheaper than moving it. Get a package deal on the HVAC and tank less water heater. I wanted my AC moved from the side of the house to the back (landscaping) - quoted $1800. Left it as is!
- Kitchen cabinets are pricey to have the job done right. There is material cost (sky's the limit) and the 'while your at it' (similar to Porsche maintenance!) syndrome of new sink, new figures, new lighting etc etc.. Custom is 30K and up. Pre-built or kit (IKEA) half as much. Labour on top.
- Powder room requires research on where the closest stack/drain is and access to install water. You may require part of the floor opened up as well as a wall. Reno of an existing space is fairly cheap (compared to other things) but removing walls to expand space (load bearing?) is not.
- Original floors: price depends on what material they are removing. Ceramic removal is the most expensive (labour time/clean up). Carpet removal is easy but underlay sticking to floor, (PITA) staples or nail removal can be done yourself. I cut my carpets into small strips 4' wide x 6' and then take to the transfer center.
- Shower heads are easy *unless* you are moving the location of them inside the shower area.

Identifying your budget (allowing for a 10% contingency) is the first step. Once you have those numbers, that drives project size and material finishes. You may move your priorities around depending on importance of each item to you and what types of quotes you get in. Get three quotes, agree to pay as work is completed. You'll probably be asked to stump up for an deposit ahead of work starting - be careful with this one, (never more then a few hundred)! Make sure you have references and actually ask for addresses so you can visit to see their work first hand. Agree on a hard start time and a finish date, (be flexible on the finish date of up to a couple of weeks). Read the contract!! If they don't want to pull permits - walk away. Ask to see what types of trade licenses they have. If none... walk. Ask to see their insurance policy. If they have none... run. The cheapest prices are because of a lack of qualifications or experience. That can come back to haunt you going cheap. I spent 70K a year and a half ago on a kitchen. I could have spent less and either had a crappy job done or an unhappy spouse. Both aren't good situations!

I doubt you get a good contractor right now until after Xmas or at earliest late fall - they are all swamped. If you want it sooner than that they'll give you a higher price than if you can wait until winter or slow(er) season. I'd shoot you a good contractor name here but mine is busy until 2021 - the Covid effect! My daughter can't even get wood for her fence due to everyone and their brother doing home reno's.

Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:02 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Thanks, Torontoworker.

A few things noted from the home inspection:

1. Electrical at this place seems fine. It's a 100amp circuit and there is room for expansion. I'm not throwing in a hot tub or anything so I'm okay.
2. Turns out the furnace is a hydronic furnace (first time I've ever come across one.) That said, I don't know if I can actually get rid of the hot water tank, and convert to a tankless system. I may need a plumber to review this in detail.
3. I think I'll have to wait for the kitchen. The layout/space is not ideal. I need to figure this one out. First world problem - where do I put my espresso machine and grinder?
4. I'm thinking of placing the powder room in the same area/space as the utility room beside the washer/dryer. There's water/piping there. Issue is figuring out if I can close off a wall or create a new one etc. Just a two-piece, nothing more. Whether it will require permits etc, need to consult with a pro on this one.
5. I think it is vinyl or laminate. The footprint is relatively small. As for the carpet, this can wait. Not a rush on this. Will probably need a thorough cleaning, however.
6. Turns out my space is limited for the shower head. I think i'll just switch it out or something. I need to add a glass door since there's no shower rod or curtain.

I can wait until the fall/winter. Not in a rush to do any of this. Thanks!
Old 08-11-2020, 03:04 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Give Jason Burns a call or email: interiordimensions@rogers.com 1 (416) 457-1919‬.

I've known him for 20+ years and he's done a ton of work on my place and I've never been disappointed. He's not the cheapest guy around, but you get what you pay for. He likes to stick to the west end of the GTA, so that might work out for you. Great General Contractor and can handle everything on your list.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (08-11-2020)

Quick Reply: Off Topic: Renovations in GTA