Notices

This car just keeps amazing me all the time whether on then track or on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2020, 11:16 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

I think Brian is talking about Shannonville. John Bondar (who runs the CTCC series) bought the track and he said he has plans to modernize the same, but AFAIK nothing has been done yet.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:18 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Jet Jockey
Corner 2 is slippery? Oh noooooo!

I want to see your video... send it to me at mlab601@yahoo.com, thanks.
For sure. Chasing a 918 Spyder first track day in new car......
A little rusty, turn 5 not my best.

Had an off at 2, not fun!

Old 07-28-2020, 11:26 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by 928gt
I think Brian is talking about Shannonville. John Bondar (who runs the CTCC series) bought the track and he said he has plans to modernize the same, but AFAIK nothing has been done yet.

Well I was at Shannonville this weekend and the only work there is they finally paved some of the paddock area... I guess it is a start.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:32 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Well I was at Shannonville this weekend and the only work there is they finally paved some of the paddock area... I guess it is a start.
It is indeed. As far as the track itself is concerned IMHO they first need to address some drainage issues (racing there in the wet is... well, interesting), but the biggest downside is the [almost] complete lack of amenities.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:42 PM
Jet Jockey
Pro

Received 244 Likes on 139 Posts

It is indeed. As far as the track itself is concerned IMHO they first need to address some drainage issues (racing there in the wet is... well, interesting), but the biggest downside is the [almost] complete lack of amenities.

Well there are hotels and restaurants near by in Belleville and even the track has a restaurant but the rest of the facility is really run down.

Also they fixed a lot of the corners with sand and earth so that if you do go off track it is not huge holes like in the past which could cause heavy damage and even flip a car over if you went in sideways.

However I'm not sure how the track was after Sunday night after the Asian crews took to the track and did many off road excursions... within 2 sessions they must have had close to 10 off track incidents and many near miss between cars... No ambulance, no flagmen, no helmets required... What a gong show!
Old 07-29-2020, 10:15 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry I meant Shannonville. I was last there with PCA UCR in 2012 I think. The track was bad then in need of a re-pave.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:59 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

They repaved a number of areas in the fall of 2017, and except for some drainage issues in the wet, the track surface itself is actually pretty decent. I haven't been there this year yet, but I last raced there last year and seeing as they haven't held any events since then that could have dug it up, I would assume that the track surface itself is still in pretty decent shape. Jet Jockey may be able to offer more info. As for the aforementioned mostly Asian crews that occasionally run there in the evenings, they indeed only dig up the off-track areas. Jet Jockey - was this one of KKK's (touge.ca) events or someone else?

I remember some ~15 years ago four or five of us used to rent the track in the evenings. IIRC it was like $300 to book Fabi or the Pro track on a weekend evening, and we had it to ourselves from 5 PM until sundown. It was a great way to get a lot of seat time for relatively little money and have the track all to ourselves, and we did wear helmets.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:18 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 104 Posts

Well there are hotels and restaurants near by in Belleville and even the track has a restaurant but the rest of the facility is really run down.

Also they fixed a lot of the corners with sand and earth so that if you do go off track it is not huge holes like in the past which could cause heavy damage and even flip a car over if you went in sideways.

However I'm not sure how the track was after Sunday night after the Asian crews took to the track and did many off road excursions... within 2 sessions they must have had close to 10 off track incidents and many near miss between cars... No ambulance, no flagmen, no helmets required... What a gong show!
So I guess they finally got smart and didn't record their shenanigans and post them online?
No helmets is just stupid stupid stupid...

Old 07-31-2020, 11:39 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by Recruiter_Bruno
So I guess they finally got smart and didn't record their shenanigans and post them online?
No helmets is just stupid stupid stupid...
IMO no flaggers or ambulance is way worse than no helmets. I would not run with no flaggers or ambulance.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:46 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
IMO no flaggers or ambulance is way worse than no helmets. I would not run with no flaggers or ambulance.
Yeah good point. I have been too spoiled with well run days at Mosport to consider anything else.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:31 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

They repaved a number of areas in the fall of 2017, and except for some drainage issues in the wet, the track surface itself is actually pretty decent. I haven't been there this year yet, but I last raced there last year and seeing as they haven't held any events since then that could have dug it up, I would assume that the track surface itself is still in pretty decent shape. Jet Jockey may be able to offer more info. As for the aforementioned mostly Asian crews that occasionally run there in the evenings, they indeed only dig up the off-track areas. Jet Jockey - was this one of KKK's (touge.ca) events or someone else?

I remember some ~15 years ago four or five of us used to rent the track in the evenings. IIRC it was like $300 to book Fabi or the Pro track on a weekend evening, and we had it to ourselves from 5 PM until sundown. It was a great way to get a lot of seat time for relatively little money and have the track all to ourselves, and we did wear helmets.
PCA had a BBQ after the Sat. track day. We watched the after 5 group. It was sketchy at best. One car stopped in the carousel and they switched drivers. The next morning when we came back there was a Civic sitting in the paddock. Judging by the roof it looked like it rolled at least once.
It is a fun track to drive on.

Quick Reply: This car just keeps amazing me all the time whether on then track or on the road...