Notices

Bought my first Porsche! Then i found this....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 12:38 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

he's referring to a safety certificate which states under the newest guidelines the car is not allowed to have any leaks. many old porsches leak. hard to prove when leak developed. It is a 20 year old car so no CPO anyways. A private person can sell a cpo car and transfer the warranty once I believe btw.
Old 07-27-2020, 01:38 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

Ok, my bad. I thought he meant certified pre-owned (like from a dealership) and not the safety certificate.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:34 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
he's referring to a safety certificate which states under the newest guidelines the car is not allowed to have any leaks. many old porsches leak. hard to prove when leak developed. It is a 20 year old car so no CPO anyways. A private person can sell a cpo car and transfer the warranty once I believe btw.
Not allowed to drip onto the ground while the safety inspection is done. That's it, nothing more. It was weep or have a slight leak but no drip.
If the leak is manageable then just drive the car and don't worry about it. Drive more and worry else.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:41 PM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Not allowed to drip onto the ground while the safety inspection is done. That's it, nothing more. It was weep or have a slight leak but no drip.
If the leak is manageable then just drive the car and don't worry about it. Drive more and worry else.
After i cleaned the undercarriage with degreaser.
Been 2 days and 2 ..20 min rides. No new oil spots or signs of leak.
who knows, ill try to forget about it for now ans enjoy it for the rest of the year. It drives great!
Old 07-28-2020, 05:07 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
that is the old criteria. each shop interprets it slightly differently but the new rules created a few years ago (I had some involvement in this)say no oil leaks are allowed. I would have thought you would have better knowledge on this subject
Old 07-28-2020, 05:14 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Just thinking...are you sure it's an oil leak? Not AC condensate?
Old 07-28-2020, 08:51 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 199 Likes on 150 Posts

So does this mean any 986, 996, and possibly every air cooled Porsche is likely to fail the safety inspection?
Old 07-29-2020, 07:18 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

I changed my RMS a couple of years ago, with the Porsche newest part. Has held tight...but after sitting this past winter, developed a tiny wet spot (again, no puddle on floor, but a drip forming on housing). I cleaned it up before starting to drive for spring, and it hasn’t leaked again since (about 3000 kms). I think sometimes, sitting is the worst thing that can happen to these cars. I wouldn’t sweat it, if it not puddling.
The following users liked this post:
bcrdukes (07-30-2020)
Old 07-29-2020, 09:20 AM
Cityfisher
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by JTT
I changed my RMS a couple of years ago, with the Porsche newest part. Has held tight...but after sitting this past winter, developed a tiny wet spot (again, no puddle on floor, but a drip forming on housing). I cleaned it up before starting to drive for spring, and it hasn’t leaked again since (about 3000 kms). I think sometimes, sitting is the worst thing that can happen to these cars. I wouldn’t sweat it, if it not puddling.
after doing some reading.. seems like its very common for these to have a slow leak. Even after changing the RMS /IMS

Last edited by Cityfisher; 08-10-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:55 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 132 Posts

For what it's worth my M97 has the odd drip even after RMS replacement. Like others have mentioned this is more common when the car has been sitting, which these days with a lack of places to go, including the office, is more often than not.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:29 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
that is the old criteria. each shop interprets it slightly differently but the new rules created a few years ago (I had some involvement in this)say no oil leaks are allowed. I would have thought you would have better knowledge on this subject
I'm just telling you what the mechanics that did all the safeties on my cars since the new rules came in told me.
Old 07-29-2020, 06:30 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by Cityfisher
when you changed it years back.
Did you have a leak? Or was it just part of the clutch job? IMS changed?
after doing some reading.. seems like its very common for these to have a slow leak. Even after changing the RMS /IMS
I changed it while doing the IMS bearing. It had a minor leak before hand too.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:21 PM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

The rms in my car was replaced twice in 4 years. The second time with an oem seal and there’s no sign of leaking anymore. If it’s the rms and it’s a seep I would just wait until you do an ims replacement and monitor your oil level. Borescope would be really prudent and you should get one done next time you’re in the shop just to have peace of mind. The 3.4 motors are apparently more prone to scoring. If you find bad scoring you have a way bigger problem on hand, but if the motor is running fine with no symptoms of scoring you’re probably in the clear...

Quick Reply: Bought my first Porsche! Then i found this....