Notices

Best Muskoka (QUALITY) chair

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 03:44 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
X2 for the costco. i love mine. Assembled in munutes. Five years old-ish.
If you do go plastic. Be careful on the colour. White does get dirty, but cleans up quick. And they are not hot.
Dark colours will burn your butt.
and if you are wearing synthetic clothing, humid or not, you will be surprised how much static the Costco chairs build up. Especially fun zapping children or the wife and saying it was an accident!

That alone is worth the price of admission.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:04 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i buy wood ones .. when they where out after 15 years or so throw them int he firepit and start over.. no need for more plastics in the world.
Exactly. Restaurants are trying to eliminate plastic straws and bottled water is frowned on...how can people buy plastic Muskoka chairs and plastic decking? Plastic is far from maintenance free.....stains, discolours etc.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:58 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by steam_mill
and if you are wearing synthetic clothing, humid or not, you will be surprised how much static the Costco chairs build up. Especially fun zapping children or the wife and saying it was an accident!

That alone is worth the price of admission.
and still funny, 100 times later....
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 PM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 538 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Exactly. Restaurants are trying to eliminate plastic straws and bottled water is frowned on...how can people buy plastic Muskoka chairs and plastic decking? Plastic is far from maintenance free.....stains, discolours etc.
My trex decking has required zero maintenance except a pressure wash now and then...the cedar railings on the other hand need constant attention. We also have plastic seating, left out year round, looks the same as the day we bought it, again no maintenance. Oh, and it's made from 100% recycled plastic.
The following users liked this post:
Greg981 (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:20 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Carbon Fibre with Wood Accents: https://bpfabdesign.com/
Old 07-22-2020, 09:55 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Timbertech deck here for 8 years, after 20 years of owning a cedar deck which was constant work. Todays cedar is garbage. Grows too fast and is cut to young. Has lost most of what made it good for outdoors. My out door chairs are plastic. 8 years outside all year round. No work, no fading. No stains. Power wash every spring and looks like new again. Don't judge.

Oh and an unnecessary drive for pleasure does great things for the environment which we all do.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:31 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg981
Timbertech deck here for 8 years, after 20 years of owning a cedar deck which was constant work. Todays cedar is garbage. Grows too fast and is cut to young. Has lost most of what made it good for outdoors. My out door chairs are plastic. 8 years outside all year round. No work, no fading. No stains. Power wash every spring and looks like new again. Don't judge.

Oh and an unnecessary drive for pleasure does great things for the environment which we all do.
X2 - today's cedar is crap. Its short, filled with knots, bowed, and split. If I have to do a dock in cedar. I go and pick my own. Or I order an extra 25%, pick the best, and return the unused.
I love my 8 year old Costco chairs. White, sure. A little spray nine, and they are as new. My deck is almost 20 year old Trex. My 120 foot dock is 18 years old and almost as new. I already have too much maintenance.A few items that i don't need to replace or fix? Easy choice for me.
Drink beer, don't stain.

Old 07-24-2020, 02:01 PM
Swerveskip
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for CR Plastics
The following users liked this post:
#1SomeGuy (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 02:58 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 480 Likes on 346 Posts

Don’t forget the Muskoka Chair Company, out of Port Carling. You can’t get more Muskoka than that.
Old 07-24-2020, 10:17 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 174 Likes on 105 Posts

Thanks again guys, great suggestions.

I learned a bit more about the COSTCO chairs (which I would have been happy with in the first place). They are made by Leisure Line Canada.

The COSTCO version assembly is based on a thin hollow centering pin, with screws directly into the plastic (with and without pilot holes). In my experience, they quickly stripped and made no sense as the horizontal load bearing point.

The same company has the same chair, in a folding version, that uses all through-bolts and nuts. Same material, but a logical assembly method. I believe only one panel uses self tapping screws - the rest are stainless bolts through predrilled holes.

I'll wait/hang on for these in 2021 at Home Depot. The COSTCO versions, when you see the assembly, are a few bucks cheaper but not really comparable IMO.

Cheers

Matt

Quick Reply: Best Muskoka (QUALITY) chair