Notices

Best Muskoka (QUALITY) chair

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2020, 08:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Best Muskoka (QUALITY) chair

Hi Guys, looking for some advice here. Posted this in OT, but hoping for some local Canadian expertise

My original intention was to get 4 'decent' quality Adirondack chairs for use around a firepit.

COSTCO has some heavy PVC ones with great reviews and at a decent price ($150 CAD). They are indeed very solid/heavy and would be a maintenance free solution, but I will be returning them. The installation hardware and the assembly design itself is junk - they're screwed together, no joinery molded in for support - just not going to cut it. The material gauge itself is fine, it's the cheapo design.

So... I am changing my criteria and instead looking for just a pair of REALLY well made Adirondack chairs.

Old school.

Bolted, not screwed.

Real quality materials - Cedar, stainless?

Assuming they fold, I'll be able to move them as required from a covered porch to the firepit area as needed.

So, is there a current furniture/artisan quality chair maker that makes these?

Thanks in advance for the recommendations!

Cheers

Matt

Old 07-10-2020, 09:38 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 129 Posts

Adirondack Chair you mean right ?
Old 07-10-2020, 10:32 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

You’ll want to speak to the BearChair company. There’s is the authentic real deal Muskoka chair. Made in South River, Ontario.
http://www.thebearchair.com/tablet/index.html
Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 AM
#1SomeGuy
Burning Brakes

Received 554 Likes on 331 Posts

http://www.crpproducts.com/

CR Plastics...we have 6 pieces of their furniture on our deck, left out year round (under covers when not in use mind you), and after 3 years they still are as good as the day we bought them. Only downside is it's very pricey.

I won a bear chair two person tet-a-tet a few years back...I never even bothered assembling it. It was basically just pre-cut unfinished wood and would have been a project in itself to get ready for the outdoors and even then being wood would have been a constant maintenance headache.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:08 AM
triggz82
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I got mine off Kijiji. They get them from an Amish community. Cedar and easy assembly. Chairs have been really nice and have had a lot of compliments.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 PM
Greg981
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

No contest. Element Square.
Old 07-11-2020, 04:17 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 283 Likes on 161 Posts

Had bear chairs for 12 years. PITA staining all the time. Dock, Decks, fire pit have plastic Costco ones. Beach has the light $20 ones that can be moved easily when extra seating is desired.

hexagonal picnic table at the back of cottage also was replaced with all plastic. I have not stained in years. Decks and dock are all pressure treated that are pressure washed annually and treated with Thompson’s every 2 years. Big deck still looks great after 18 years.

Plastic gets left out all year for winter fires.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:14 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I have ones made by Woods, Canadian Tire sells them. I paid around $80 each 16 years ago. I'm sitting in one right now while typing this reply.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:10 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
You’ll want to speak to the BearChair company. There’s is the authentic real deal Muskoka chair. Made in South River, Ontario.
I bought 4 of these approx. 10 years ago - stained with some decent quality stain (Sansin if I recall) and they have held up great. They are stored inside during winter months however. They are white pine so not family heirloom quality but they do the trick.
Old 07-12-2020, 07:23 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Matt,

I made four Muskoka type chairs some 15 years ago, we use them all year round at the cottage ... on the lower deck in the Summer
and on the upper deck all Winter.They are made out of pine , and had i been more patient at the time i would have made them out of
cedar but they didn't have the correct size wood i wanted.
Anyhow , they're still solid after 15 years outdoor and you don't need to put them away in the Winter.My biggest pointer to you would be to make sure the armrests are at minimum 6 inches wide and
that you have enough room to cross your legs when you are sitting down ... otherwise it could be quite uncomfortable for the big boys !

Cheers
Phil

Old 07-12-2020, 10:07 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

The Costco ones are actually good. Mine are 5 years old and look like new and they sit out year round. No issues with hardware. I think they’re made in Canada too.
Old 07-13-2020, 12:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

i buy wood ones .. when they where out after 15 years or so throw them int he firepit and start over.. no need for more plastics in the world.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:17 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

I bought my cedar folding Muskoka chairs from a retired guy that makes them and lives in Stouffville.
7 years and still working fine at the end of dock.
A few years ago they went for a swim to the end of the bay during a huge storm. I pulled them out from a pile of broken dock pieces. 1 broken arm.
I hate the plastic ones. So uncomfortable.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:25 PM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Originally Posted by pfitzsim
I bought 4 of these approx. 10 years ago - stained with some decent quality stain (Sansin if I recall) and they have held up great. They are stored inside during winter months however. They are white pine so not family heirloom quality but they do the trick.
+1 on these. Have also had a set for about 10 years now and they're as good as the day I got them. In addition to the screws I also used some white glue during assembly, and then stained them. They've always been kept outdoors exposed to the elements and have held up great. Yes, they are white pine but (so far) that doesn't appear to be an issue. Great value for the money.
Old 07-14-2020, 08:26 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaws1
The Costco ones are actually good. Mine are 5 years old and look like new and they sit out year round. No issues with hardware. I think they’re made in Canada too.
X2 for the costco. i love mine. Assembled in munutes. Five years old-ish.
If you do go plastic. Be careful on the colour. White does get dirty, but cleans up quick. And they are not hot.
Dark colours will burn your butt.

Quick Reply: Best Muskoka (QUALITY) chair