CPO Warranty issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 01:50 PM
Leon19801
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CPO Warranty issue

Hi All,

I've purchased last summer my first ever 2013 Porsche 911 4S which was a dream car for me ever since I was a little kid.
This Vehicle was purchased for a Porsche dealer with a 2 years CPO. last week I've took it to the dealer for a heat shield recall and the advisor told me that my rear aerokit cup spoiler has a cracked bracket, they will reinforce it with some epoxy but that's the best they can do since this is an aftermarket spoiler and it didn't come like that from the factory, but I did purchase it from them with this spoiler. If it will get worst they won't cover it and I on my own.
After I got the car back I took of the spoiler off and it's fully cracked underneath with a many repairs attempts and some broken pieces.

I've found this link the explains about Porsche warranty: https://www.porsche.com/canada/en/ac...tion/warranty/
which says the following:
Two-year warranty on genuine Porsche spare and replacement parts and accessories which are used or sold outside of warranty work. For Porsche parts which are used during warranty work, the warranty period ends at the same time as that of the vehicle that has become defective.

My question is do they have to cover under warranty this aftermarket spoiler (which I'll be happy to get rid of and replace it with the original spoiler)?
Old 05-26-2020, 02:23 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's not a genuine Porsche part and it is aftermarket, even if they have installed it, it is not covered under the genuine Porsche warranty. They probably should have told you this when it was installed it, but it won't help your case.

I'd also be worried about even having it installed since if your engine blew they could refuse to replace it due to having modified your car with after market parts. I would have had them in writing say they the dealer would honor the CPO warranty if Porsche refusing to.
Old 05-26-2020, 02:27 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 519 Posts

No manufacture extended warranty is ever going to cover a non-OEM part. That line you referenced confirms this. IMO the car should have not passed CPO with aftermarket parts, but in the end they just want your money and use CPO to get a premium.
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (05-27-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 02:29 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Received 282 Likes on 124 Posts

Seems like a rather misleading move on their part. true, only genuine porsche parts are covered -- no aftermarket, etc. But as poster above says, they should have at least explained it was aftermarket. I'm curious, can they CPO a car with an aftermarket part that is obviously damaged?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

they can do whatever they want as head office rarely will get involved and tell the dealer what to do.
In terms of it being covered...you answered the question in your post.
Unfortunately you were not very diligent in inspecting "your dream car" and did not notice your car had a broken aftermarket part on it. I would see about getting the aftermarket part repaired professionally or purchase the factory spoiler. You may be able to find a used one from a written off vehicle. Alternatively you could tell dealer you will never buy another car from them if they don't take care of you on this.
Post a picture of the broken spoiler maybe we can think of a solution.
Which dealer was it anyway?
gotta love enthusiasts that join Rennlist just to complain about a dealer and ask for advice. Hopefully you will stay on the forum and contribute to the communicty....btw welcome
how about a pic of your car too?
Old 05-26-2020, 03:58 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
Unfortunately you were not very diligent in inspecting "your dream car" and did not notice your car had a broken aftermarket part on it.
ooof -- tough crowd. This is a valid point, but then the dealer should still have mentioned it regardless. And again, if they CPO a car, wouldn't the inspection report at least have noted the aftermarket part not covered? I'd bet in small claims a judge would say you guys guaranteed the car as it is based on your own paperwork, so fix it. To the OP -- what does the CPO report show? I guess this is probably also a good time to mention that it sounds like you didn't have a PPI done -- even a place like lemonsquad would likely have found this issue.
Old 05-26-2020, 04:41 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by TahouHots
ooof -- tough crowd. This is a valid point, but then the dealer should still have mentioned it regardless. And again, if they CPO a car, wouldn't the inspection report at least have noted the aftermarket part not covered? I'd bet in small claims a judge would say you guys guaranteed the car as it is based on your own paperwork, so fix it. To the OP -- what does the CPO report show? I guess this is probably also a good time to mention that it sounds like you didn't have a PPI done -- even a place like lemonsquad would likely have found this issue.
No its not a tough crowd - up here. We don't enjoy a very litigious society here in Canada unlike the USA. Our courts rarely award costs in civil suits and our small claims system to be blunt, is a joke. You can be awarded a win in small claims but it is up to you to attempt to get your money back without any help from the courts. Hence we have learned that you are on your own when buying a used car (even a new one!) and due diligence on the buyers part is crucial to reducing your chances of buying a lemon. Don't accept a dealers or private citizens print out of a CarFax - pay the money to CarFax and look yourself so you aren't a risk of getting an altered report as we've seen around here... Even CarFax is no good if the car has been repaired by a garage that doesn't report damage or an owner that doesn't claim damage on insurance.

Get a GOOD PPI - not a 1 hour look over. You're paying good money for Porsche's - so paying a few hundred to a trustworthy shop that you personally know well to do a bore inspection among other inspections is key to a good buy. Once people have your money - caring about you goes out the window - same with the dealer that just wanted to flog this CPO GT-3. No one is going to take you by the hand and read you the fine print line by line - it is not in their interest to do so.

To the OP: Buy a new wing bracket (or a pair) or get a new wing. If the wing ever comes off at highway speeds or above - you could be at risk of litigation that your insurance company might not cover, (modified car/after market parts). The fact that its had previous repairs that obviously aren't working should scare the p*ss out of you...
Old 05-26-2020, 04:59 PM
TahouHots
Rennlist Member

I don't know, seems to me the dealer lied, whether intentionally or by lack of due diligence. Who was the dealer? At the very least they should be publicly shamed. In all honesty, how can any dealer for any car company certify a car that has a broken aftermarket part like this? We're not talking a scuff mark here. As Torontoworker points out, this is a major safety issue for you AND other drivers. they don't have to cover it under the CPO warranty. But seems to me they should cover it simply because they lied about the car's condition.
The following users liked this post:
paddlefoot64 (05-26-2020)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:08 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

funny thing is the dealer probably discounted the trade in by the cost of a new spoiler and pocketed the money and now put it on the new owner who has CPO.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by TahouHots
I don't know, seems to me the dealer lied, whether intentionally or by lack of due diligence. Who was the dealer? At the very least they should be publicly shamed. In all honesty, how can any dealer for any car company certify a car that has a broken aftermarket part like this? We're not talking a scuff mark here. As Torontoworker points out, this is a major safety issue for you AND other drivers. they don't have to cover it under the CPO warranty. But seems to me they should cover it simply because they lied about the car's condition.
That's every CPO car at every dealer, they all lie (or simply don't know the car's full condition). They move cars in and out as quickly as possible to make a profit, and CPO is just another revenue stream. CPO or no CPO you still need a detailed PPI.

But I agree to publicly shame them if they don't offer a resolution for a car that clearly should not have passed a CPO inspection.

OP - Go after the failed CPO inspection and tell them that had you known about the issue you would have asked for a price reduction in the car.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:45 PM
991GTA
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go back to the dealer and have them sort it out. The car should not have passed CPO with that aftermarket part on it.

I'm going to hazard a guess based on past history that this was Pfaff
Old 05-26-2020, 05:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Time to end this drama, just get the JB Weld out and fix it yourself! The car was 7 years old.
Old 05-26-2020, 06:29 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

+991 show us pics
Old 05-26-2020, 07:13 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 265 Posts

They should never cpo a car with aftermarket parts. It must be all original.

My car had brand new tires, but were not n spec. They were replaced for the cpo.

I am assuming you did not install this afterwards?

If they sold you the car with aftermarket parts, and it was cpod like that, then you can absolutely ask them to remove and install the oem part.
Old 05-26-2020, 09:39 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Aftermarket mod = your answer

Quick Reply: CPO Warranty issue