Notices

Canadian F1 GP - Grandstand Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 11:16 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Canadian F1 GP - Grandstand Question

I'm contemplating taking my kids (12 & 11) to the Canadian GP this summer. I'm looking at the Family GS - inside track turns 6 & 7 as kids under 15 are free. They have availability in lower, middle or upper seating and was wondering if there was a 'preferred' option. The only disadvantage I can see with being lower is with having the view blocked by people coming/going - especially for the kids. It has been a good 15 years since I have been so any other general hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. Planning on staying downtown and taking the Via in.

Cheers.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:47 PM
wildcat077
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 169 Posts

I wasn't aware that anything was free at the Canadian GP ...
If you're concerned about movement , you should definitely go for the mid to higher seating as you'll see further down the track !

Not sure if they offer the same arrangement in turn 10 ( driver's left ) at the hairpin, but the grandstands at the outside of the hairpin , not the Stroll grandstands, offer a great view as well as a giant
screen where you can basically follow the live action.
You're also a short walk to the subway , probably a good thing with younger kids !

Cheers
Phil
Old 01-27-2020, 09:07 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts

I also highly recommend the Hairpin grandstands....
Old 01-28-2020, 09:22 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Thanks gents. The GS pictured is the only one that offers kids under 15 free admission unfortunately. No screen is a bit of a nuisance, however I hear there is decent app you can purchase that gives great real time data - not that I want to have my face in a screen 1/2 the day. I think that the Porsche GT3's and Ferrari Challenge are both running that weekend so lots to see and do. I usually stay downtown at the Fairmont when in Mtl. but by the looks of things with F1 weekend rates in effect I'll be looking for a Motel 8 20km out of town!!
Old 01-28-2020, 09:42 AM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by pfitzsim
......... It has been a good 15 years since I have been so any other general hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.
....There's probably a good reason that you haven't been back in 15 years....

I took my gf (now wife) down to the GP... it was probably 25 years ago....

I find you spend a lot of time with just noise, crowds and brief glimpses of the cars....

Being in the grandstand might be different with an unending supply of beer... But now if I have 2 beers, I'm looking for a bathroom or port-a-potty within an hour.....

Your kids might not want to stay to the end.

I actually don't watch GP racing anymore.....

Old 01-28-2020, 09:54 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

That's the spot I went for 6 years straight Grand Stand 33! Best one in the bronze section. The picture you took it from is pretty much ideal. I would pick the isle seat for more comfort (I'm a big guy). As for taking the kids when they are that young, I would think twice. I never taken mine yet but my buddy that went for 20 years straight to the Montreal GP, did take his around this age and said that after about an hour and a half, the kid was done and wanted to leave. He will never bring him again unless he asks for it. Now this is of course different with each kid as some are more gearheads than others but, when they are this young, having them sit in one spot for a pretty much the whole day can be too much for them. Just something to think about.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:55 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm contemplating taking my kids (12 & 11) to the Canadian GP this summer. I'm looking at the Family GS - inside track turns 6 & 7 as kids under 15 are free. They have availability in lower, middle or upper seating and was wondering if there was a 'preferred' option. The only disadvantage I can see with being lower is with having the view blocked by people coming/going - especially for the kids. It has been a good 15 years since I have been so any other general hints/tips would be greatly appreciated. Planning on staying downtown and taking the Via in.

Cheers.

I took the family there for the same reason a few years ago (boys were free). It’s a good way to get them exposed to F1 racing, but honestly not a great part of the track from which to watch the race.

In terms of seating high vs. Low, I’d suggest going high so that you don’t have the fences blocking your line of sight.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:38 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

Thanks gents. The GS pictured is the only one that offers kids under 15 free admission unfortunately. No screen is a bit of a nuisance, however I hear there is decent app you can purchase that gives great real time data - not that I want to have my face in a screen 1/2 the day. I think that the Porsche GT3's and Ferrari Challenge are both running that weekend so lots to see and do. I usually stay downtown at the Fairmont when in Mtl. but by the looks of things with F1 weekend rates in effect I'll be looking for a Motel 8 20km out of town!!

Look near Carrefour Laval area there are some hotel options and you can get into the city from there on the metro. Lots of restaurant choices too. The downtown scene is pretty "passe" Last year we went out the Thursday night and pints were 12$ LOLOL We are at Grandstand 1 Section one again this year
Old 01-28-2020, 08:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 191 Likes on 114 Posts

Those seats are more than good for the experience. And pretty sure there is in fact a Jumbotron for the race...

Have fun!

Matt
Old 01-28-2020, 09:40 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

The first year my son and I went, we were in the family grandstands. They are a great deal while within the age group. I'm sure there was a screen there. Actually not bad seats at all. If you can get seats towards the left, so you can see down the straight (like in your picture), it's even better. My son and I have had a great time at these races. While the F1 pits aren't accessible to us minions, the support paddock is great and fully accessible. If your son is anything like mine, strolling around downtown in the evening is also a highlight, with lots of exotics rolling around...this is actually my son's favourite part.

Reminds me, I have to get our tickets!

Old 01-29-2020, 09:24 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JTT
The first year my son and I went, we were in the family grandstands. They are a great deal while within the age group. I'm sure there was a screen there. Actually not bad seats at all. If you can get seats towards the left, so you can see down the straight (like in your picture), it's even better. My son and I have had a great time at these races. While the F1 pits aren't accessible to us minions, the support paddock is great and fully accessible. If your son is anything like mine, strolling around downtown in the evening is also a highlight, with lots of exotics rolling around...this is actually my son's favourite part.

Reminds me, I have to get our tickets!
'Lots of exotics' - were there any cars as well :-)
Old 01-29-2020, 09:56 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 352 Likes on 255 Posts

'Lots of exotics' - were there any cars as well :-)
It is Montreal...
Old 01-30-2020, 09:46 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

I believe they have banned bringing your own booze this year., I am not sure how it will be enforced but it was on the terms and conditions of our tickets
Old 01-31-2020, 09:59 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregster
I believe they have banned bringing your own booze this year., I am not sure how it will be enforced but it was on the terms and conditions of our tickets
$hit! Besides the cars, that one one of the best part of this entire thing.
Old 01-31-2020, 07:29 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

At $15 a beer at most venues these days I'm surprised it has taken as long as it has. I hope CTMP isn't next!!!!!

Quick Reply: Canadian F1 GP - Grandstand Question