Notices

Lost one last night - Ontario, Radar Detector

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2019, 08:06 AM
Seamless
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Always keep a $20 burner detector in your glovebox to give away in these situations.
The following users liked this post:
ggrace (12-18-2019)
Old 12-18-2019, 10:35 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I’ve never owned a radar detector but I remember a friend telling me he kept an addresses and postage paid bubble shopping envelope in his car. The theory was he would toss the detector in that and seal it and the police don’t have jurisdiction to open mail.

Has anyone heard of that?
Old 12-18-2019, 10:53 AM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
I’ve never owned a radar detector but I remember a friend telling me he kept an addresses and postage paid bubble shopping envelope in his car. The theory was he would toss the detector in that and seal it and the police don’t have jurisdiction to open mail.

We must have the same friend! His padded bubble envelope is actually addressed with postage to somebody he knows in the USA, apparently this makes it even more complicated for it to be seized and opened. I don't currently own one and don't plan on testing this theory either.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:05 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace

The police can search the vehicle, but they can not search you (without probable cause) so putting it in your pocket would theoretically be even more effective. Having said that, if you really think that pretending you don't have one is your best course of action once you've been pulled over because their detector detector has picked it up, you're asking for trouble. Do you really want to **** them off and be subjected to every possible check, roadside test and inconvenience they can throw at you while your car is being towed away to be disassembled?
Old 12-18-2019, 11:11 AM
928gt
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by 991.2 GTS
We must have the same friend! His padded bubble envelope is actually addressed with postage to somebody he knows in the USA, apparently this makes it even more complicated for it to be seized and opened. I don't currently own one and don't plan on testing this theory either.
Yes, opening up someone's mail (regardless of who it is addressed to) does require a warrant, but not planning to test the intricacies of the legal system is indeed the smart move here.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:51 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

I was pulled over on the belief that I had one in my car on the 401 once. Just so happens that that time I did not (I spotted the police car and slowed). We were pulled over for 45minutes while the officer went through the car very thoroughly - fine tooth comb type of thing. Other police cars showed up to keep us company. Had they found an inexplicable light on the dash they would have taken the dash apart.

If you drive with one in ON and get caught, just hand it over and take your lumps. Its not worth them pulling your car apart looking on the side of the road looking for it.
Old 12-18-2019, 12:43 PM
991.2 GTS
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
I was pulled over on the belief that I had one in my car on the 401 once. Just so happens that that time I did not (I spotted the police car and slowed). We were pulled over for 45minutes while the officer went through the car very thoroughly - fine tooth comb type of thing. Other police cars showed up to keep us company. Had they found an inexplicable light on the dash they would have taken the dash apart.

If you drive with one in ON and get caught, just hand it over and take your lumps. Its not worth them pulling your car apart looking on the side of the road looking for it.
Circa 1990 I was pulled over when his VG1 detector, detector went off. I had a remote Bel unit really well hidden and he didn’t find it. He was scratching his head maybe questioning if he picked the wrong sports car. I haven’t run one since then.

Quick Reply: Lost one last night - Ontario, Radar Detector