Notices

Achieve 'Vision Zero' or tax grab?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2019, 08:33 AM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Achieve 'Vision Zero' or tax grab?

https://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...il-spring.html
Old 12-03-2019, 11:06 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Everything Toronto Council does is a cash grab under the cover of "safety".
Toronto's war on the car continues...

Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 178 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't understand why people need lots of warning that breaking the law is illegal. Were you speeding? Yes, but I didn't know I was going to get caught! Oh, well ok then. I say tax the speeders, red light runners, and smokers. I wish they could better police tailgaters though. I love it when I see someone run a red light and then seeing that flash of light. They see it as well.

I'm talking about reasonable enforcement in school zones and other high risk areas, not camera's on every corner set at 2 kph over. I'm generally in favour of increasing speed limits on freeways.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:13 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
I don't understand why people need lots of warning that breaking the law is illegal. Were you speeding? Yes, but I didn't know I was going to get caught! Oh, well ok then. I say tax the speeders, red light runners, and smokers. I wish they could better police tailgaters though. I love it when I see someone run a red light and then seeing that flash of light. They see it as well.

I'm talking about reasonable enforcement in school zones and other high risk areas, not camera's on every corner set at 2 kph over. I'm generally in favour of increasing speed limits on freeways.
There are so many large streets that have been reduced to 40km/h in Toronto (Danforth, Kingston, Queen) and it’s truly comical to drive 40 in those zones and experience how ridiculous it feels.
Old 12-04-2019, 12:38 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts

Toronto is ridiculous now ....if it was not for family and my business I would be out of here in a heartbeat (although I make a run from here any chance I get)......Sure is not what it used to be.

Just plain tired of this over accommodating , over populated , over priced , high crime , decaying infrastructure and public relation style of Policing and local governing where little gets done and incorrectly.

Toronto and world class should not be used in the same sentence ...20 or 30 yrs ago we had a chance now there's no chance it's ever going to be better than what it used to be .
The following users liked this post:
Pags993 (12-04-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:11 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace
There are so many large streets that have been reduced to 40km/h in Toronto (Danforth, Kingston, Queen) and it’s truly comical to drive 40 in those zones and experience how ridiculous it feels.
Probably fewer fatalities/pedestrian injuries regardless of fault.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:23 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Toronto is ridiculous now ....if it was not for family and my business I would be out of here in a heartbeat (although I make a run from here any chance I get)......Sure is not what it used to be.

Just plain tired of this over accommodating , over populated , over priced , high crime , decaying infrastructure and public relation style of Policing and local governing where little gets done and incorrectly.

Toronto and world class should not be used in the same sentence ...20 or 30 yrs ago we had a chance now there's no chance it's ever going to be better than what it used to be .
Wife will not leave Toronto, due to family. Luckily, we have a cottage, considered to be our home. 90 minutes from 401/404 so not far. We do around 100 nights per year there. So lot's of time there. I live just off Royal York between Bloor and Queensway. On a typical Saturday, on the rare times we are home on the weekends, to go anywhere, is brutal. Drives that used to take10 minutes a decade ago now take 30 minutes. I am speaking about just going to Canadian Tire, the dry cleaner etc. When home, I find myself going out first thing in the morning to run errands. At the cottage, I can be at Tim Horton's or Hardware store and grocery store in in 7 minutes. 13 minutes to Canadian tire and lot's of restaurants etc. We used to normally go to different neighbourhoods to check things out. Now, we just avoid going out because it just takes forever to get anywhere. Congestion is highly impactful to quality of life. Public Transit is horrible. My wife doesn't drive so take transit everywhere. She regularly comments on the degradation of transit in the city. 30 years behind.
Old 12-04-2019, 01:30 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts
Talking

How about the 30km streets? ….so slow it encourages passing on barely 2 lane streets. And it's damn embarrassing being passed while in a Porsche Turbo by a yummy mommy in a Land Rover!
Old 12-04-2019, 02:51 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 510 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Everything Toronto Council does is a cash grab under the cover of "safety".
No s***.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:05 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
How about the 30km streets? ….so slow it encourages passing on barely 2 lane streets. And it's damn embarrassing being passed while in a Porsche Turbo by a yummy mommy in a Land Rover!
30 zones are all in school zones aren't they? How could you be embarrassed being passed? 30 is slow but kids are unpredictable.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:43 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
30 zones are all in school zones aren't they? How could you be embarrassed being passed? 30 is slow but kids are unpredictable.
All the side streets at Yonge and St Clair are 3oKPH. And near my house. It theoretically should only add 25% to my commute time. or 4,800 additional minutes to my commuting year. That should also help my carbon footprint.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
lol, I been passed twice in school zones in Etobicoke doing 40 limit. For one lady there was a cop doing a safety check, he didn't have a speed laser and watched the suv pass me. Then he stops her and guess what, I had to sit and wait for 5 min while he talked to her and she gets no ticket.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:59 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 161 Posts

My biggest problem with all of these initiatives is that they seem to target the automobile. If you suggest that pedestrian's have a shared responsibility for their safety, then you called out for victim blaming. Reality is this. When a car hits a human, human gets hurt, often seriously injured. That fact alone should not obfuscate the pedestrian for being responsible for their safety. Walking with head down, not being aware of surroundings is the responsibility of the pedestrian. It is an accepted practice that at intersections, where the red human starts to flash, pedestrians are supposed to NOT enter the intersection. This is to allow pedestrians to finish crossing and for cars to complete right turns. In other words, encourage traffic flow. Instead, now we give pedestrian's advance to enter intersection, further slowing traffic flow and they continue to not have any accountability for entering intersections clearly illegally. Pedestrians don't have red light cameras, only cars do.

Lastly, and the part that everyone forgets is that 100% of the population depends on vehicles. Your food, your child's teacher, your doctor, the plumber all use cars to provide the services you use. Directly or indirectly, everyone uses cars. The war has to stop but it never will.....
Old 12-04-2019, 05:40 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 510 Likes on 326 Posts

Old 12-04-2019, 09:30 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts

Ah, Greta of Green Fables....

Quick Reply: Achieve 'Vision Zero' or tax grab?