Notices

Horrible PPI Experience - MVS Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 03:59 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 167 Posts
Default Horrible PPI Experience - MVS Motors

After seeing the MVS Motors name come up in the forum, I decided to give MVS a try for a PPI on a 2006 Boxster S with 113,000 km.

Although Mario is a nice guy and smooth talker over the phone/in-person,

It turned out to be a nightmare.

List of issues/things they missed:

- two broken convertible straps
- cracks in all four tire treads
- vacuum leak
- dismissed IMS concerns as internet hype yet sold me a $50 magnetic drain plug
- refused or did not have PIWIS equipment to check camshaft deviation
- could not provide overrev report
- convertible top clamshell did not close properly on the left side

Bought the car based on MVS saying the car was perfect and kept in great condition.

Cost over $1500 ONE WEEK later to rectify these issues.

I've since taken my car to DFC and have been blown away by the service provided by Aubin in parts and Peter in the service department. Peter Groenke has gone above and beyond. He is a special individual that really makes a customer feel he has their best interest in mind. From now on I will be using DFC for service especially at their "Porsche Classic" rates that are reduced and equate to roughly $20 more per hour vs. indy shops

Last edited by Bud Fox; 07-27-2020 at 09:55 AM.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:53 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 162 Posts

Thanks for providing feedback. Those are some big misses for a reputable shop. I am not defending MVS, I've never dealt with them, but some of these issues are easy to see with a naked eye, and you should've been able to notice yourself (brakes, tires, straps)
However an overrev report should be part of any PPI. This can be done with a Durametric, any Porsche shop should have one of those! I am curious if MVS is in any way connected to the seller? How much did they charge you for this "inspection"?

Oh and who is DFC ?
Old 10-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
Thanks for providing feedback. Those are some big misses for a reputable shop. I am not defending MVS, I've never dealt with them, but some of these issues are easy to see with a naked eye, and you should've been able to notice yourself (brakes, tires, straps)
However an overrev report should be part of any PPI. This can be done with a Durametric, any Porsche shop should have one of those! I am curious if MVS is in any way connected to the seller? How much did they charge you for this "inspection"?

Oh and who is DFC ?
Straps were hard to tell as it closed within the plastic guides when I tried it twice. You're right I should've inspected the brakes/tires more closely.

It is possible they were connected now that I think about it as the seller was from Bradford and Mario also lives up there.

I paid $250 for the PPI and $120 for the safety.

DFC is Downtown Porsche
Old 10-21-2019, 05:53 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 162 Posts

Downtown Porsche like any Porsche dealership will amaze you with their service but also scare you with their prices. I am not sure what "Porsche Classic" rates are and how they apply to your car. I just know that they charge insane amounts of money for simple jobs, like brake replacements and parts as well.
I remember having to buy an ignition coil and spark plug from the dealer. I paid almost the same amount of money for a single coil and plug, as I did for a whole set of six, sourced from an online supplier in the US.
Old 10-21-2019, 06:03 PM
TurboS
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Peter Groenke is a rockstar!
He worked at another dealer, they replaced him with Millenials....
If I lived downtown I would take my car there.
Old 10-21-2019, 08:39 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,156 Likes on 757 Posts

Peter was great. He was my adviser when he was at Pfaff on the 997.
Old 10-21-2019, 09:03 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 138 Posts

No over rev report ... You should have refused to pay for the PPI. Any shop that works on P cars will have durametric pro at Minimum
The following 2 users liked this post by Gregster:
Pags993 (10-21-2019), strathconaman (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:46 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 214 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
I've since taken my car to DFC and have been blown away by the service provided by Aubin in parts and Peter in the service department. Peter Groenke has gone above and beyond. He is a special individual that really makes a customer feel he has their best interest in mind. From now on I will be using DFC for service especially at their "Porsche Classic" rates that are reduced and equate to roughly $20 more per hour vs. indy shops
OT : I just want to point out that parts from DFC have been VERY competitive. For example, I just bought a new oil pressure sending unit (99660620303). The genuine part from the US is $110 CAD plus shipping. With the PCA discount it was $101 CAD from the dealer.
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

not sure how a shop can miss low brake pads and cracked tires, those are usually the first things they check. What does the shop say about this? Did you give them a chance to explain?
Old 10-22-2019, 06:50 PM
997Lyfe
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Curious as to what the Porsche classic rate is and qualifying age
Old 10-22-2019, 07:30 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 997Lyfe
Curious as to what the Porsche classic rate is and qualifying age
15 years old and 130$ an hour I believe.
Old 10-22-2019, 07:39 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 284 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
Straps were hard to tell as it closed within the plastic guides when I tried it twice. You're right I should've inspected the brakes/tires more closely.

It is possible they were connected now that I think about it as the seller was from Bradford and Mario also lives up there.

I paid $250 for the PPI and $120 for the safety.

DFC is Downtown Porsche
I had Ppi done last year at EU Autowerks. Car was from Pfaff. Basic Ppi was more than $250. They found leaky RMS, broken seat motor. I also opted for a bore scope. I bought the car. Pfaff was very fair about findings. PPI saved me significant $$$$. More than paid for itself.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:02 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 65 Posts

I had a corporate Mercedes service dealership miss a torn CV boot on a PPI. I thought I was hard done by until I saw this thread. Geez.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:16 PM
Gregster
Rennlist Member

Want to hear a good one? A few years ago I did an inspection on a 996.1 for a client of mine who was paying for the PPI. Seller shows up and tells me "while it's up do an oil change" ok no problem!

The 996 was pretty ratty and had a small but noticable ticking from the engine. PPI done, the seller pays for the service with no issues, we even had a good shooting the **** chat. I'm thinking ah the car is bad but the guy seems okay.

My client doesnt up end buying the car. For obvious reasons and I agreed. A couple days latter the seller calls me screaming demanding a refund for the oil change and PPi cost. I asked why I should refund him "you wasted my time the guy didn't buy the car, you never gave me a detailed listed of what the car needed" I told him he didn't pay for the PPI so the inspection list isn't his but I would gladly forward one if you wanted and he should have asked me for it. He's still screaming on the phone about how he went to another place but refused to give me the name of where.. they said the car was in excellent shape. I reply "perfect then you don't need my ppi report and you should have no problem selling it" He hung up the phone

Moral of the story Rusty 13k 996 brings out the best in people
The following 3 users liked this post by Gregster:
myw (11-09-2019), NewArt (08-29-2021), skru_fase (10-22-2019)
Old 10-22-2019, 11:59 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 396 Likes on 246 Posts

I was gonna give MVS a try but don't think so now. Thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Horrible PPI Experience - MVS Motors