Notices

Horrible PPI Experience - MVS Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2019, 12:38 AM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 353 Posts

lots of great ones... you already know 'my' 997.1 S without PPI story ...even after you explicitly try to tell how bad the scenario can be... can't help everyone, and it gets worse...
Originally Posted by Gregster
Want to hear a good one? A few years ago I did an inspection on a 996.1 for a client of mine who was paying for the PPI. Seller shows up and tells me "while it's up do an oil change" ok no problem!

The 996 was pretty ratty and had a small but noticable ticking from the engine. PPI done, the seller pays for the service with no issues, we even had a good shooting the **** chat. I'm thinking ah the car is bad but the guy seems okay.

My client doesnt up end buying the car. For obvious reasons and I agreed. A couple days latter the seller calls me screaming demanding a refund for the oil change and PPi cost. I asked why I should refund him "you wasted my time the guy didn't buy the car, you never gave me a detailed listed of what the car needed" I told him he didn't pay for the PPI so the inspection list isn't his but I would gladly forward one if you wanted and he should have asked me for it. He's still screaming on the phone about how he went to another place but refused to give me the name of where.. they said the car was in excellent shape. I reply "perfect then you don't need my ppi report and you should have no problem selling it" He hung up the phone

Moral of the story Rusty 13k 996 brings out the best in people
Old 10-24-2019, 03:11 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 258 Likes on 173 Posts

No over rev report ... You should have refused to pay for the PPI. Any shop that works on P cars will have durametric pro at Minimum
You're absolutely right. I made the mistake of allowing my excitement to take over.

Originally Posted by Turbodan
not sure how a shop can miss low brake pads and cracked tires, those are usually the first things they check. What does the shop say about this? Did you give them a chance to explain?
The shop refused to address anything in writing but called this morning. I will speak with them this afternoon. Pretty disappointed all my invoice says is PPI $250, nothing else.

15 years old and 130$ an hour I believe.
Sports cars 10 years and older. Rate is $140 at DFC, Normally $169.99

It works for me as my office is downtown and they have a shuttle service.

My other option is taking time off work to drive all over the GTA to pay between $108 (MVS rate) to $120 with no guarantee of proper work done.

I mean if an incompetent indy charges one extra hour for a similar job then any per hour savings are down the drain.
Old 10-27-2019, 11:33 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 406 Likes on 285 Posts

$250 for a proper PPI should have been your first clue as a proper PPI including a bore scope is around $700 - $900 with taxes ...sounds like this was a basic inspection and a safety.

Secondly as mentioned above many of the cars issues were obvious to the naked eye which should have been your first clue $$ I have used MVS in the past and found them reputable and had no issue with them . If what you state is correct about the cracked tires etc they may have dropped the ball in this case but all the visual indications should have led you to evaluate if this car $$$ was the right one for you prior to paying for any PPI . You also need to ask what is included in a PPI prior to agreeing regardless of price as normally the labour cost associated with the bore scope adds a couple of hours to the PPI labor costs.

ALSO .... here is what I do when i am seriously interested in buying another sports car .... If the seller states the car will pass an independant PPI and it does I pay the PPI and buy the car if it doesn't the seller pays half of the PPI and we agree prior to negoiate further on the selling price relative to the repairs required .

If for any reason the seller disagrees with the PPI findings or is not willing to negoiate further on the purchase price I walk ... as what happened prior to the car I have now ( my PPI was $875.00) and the PPI showed the car needed the cable from the starter to the battery replaced and bad strut bushings, tie rods, shocks etc to a total cost of $6000 the seller did not agree with the PPI findings and I walked from that deal , The car was not bad by any stretch but it did require work which(I believe he knew the car needed work but was hoping to sell it without doing the work for all the beans) . This way everything is above board and there are no surprises.

In the end you paid $1500 which is a very small amount in our sport as this could have been much much worse ... Consider yourself lucky ...lesson learned now go drive that baby and enjoy it !! Congrats !!!

Last edited by rileyracing1; 10-27-2019 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 01:34 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 103 Posts

Did not know that they have a discount rate at DFC for 10 year old cars - thanks

And also didnt know PPI's ran $900 now - yikes

But agree, I would not have agreed to pay even $250 without a DME read out. Thats your 1st line of defense
Old 10-27-2019, 03:01 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 515 Likes on 328 Posts

wrong post.
Old 10-28-2019, 11:25 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

2 sides to every story
Old 10-28-2019, 12:37 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

How can they justify $900 for a PPI? It doesn't take 6 hours to do a PPI.
Old 10-28-2019, 02:11 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
How can they justify $900 for a PPI? It doesn't take 6 hours to do a PPI.
How long should a PPI take?
Old 10-28-2019, 02:40 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
How long should a PPI take?
My gearhead guess would be 2 maybe 3.
Old 10-28-2019, 09:11 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 260 Likes on 202 Posts

And what would those 2 to 3 hours entail for said PPI? Certainly not a bore scope or compression/leak down test.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:19 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
And what would those 2 to 3 hours entail for said PPI? Certainly not a bore scope or compression/leak down test.
Once the spark plugs are out, doing those is not that time consuming. Also bore scoring can be checked from removing the sump pan an looking at the bores with a scope. The pan should come off for a PPI anyways. A shop that does PPIs on these cars should have a system to do all this in an efficient manner.
Old 10-29-2019, 10:45 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Gregster
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
Once the spark plugs are out, doing those is not that time consuming. Also bore scoring can be checked from removing the sump pan an looking at the bores with a scope. The pan should come off for a PPI anyways. A shop that does PPIs on these cars should have a system to do all this in an efficient manner.
I've got into HUGE arguments with the sellers about pan removal and plug removal.... Especially when it's a 3.8 and one exhaust tip is full of thick carbon...

The best was an F car owner saying "don't even lift my car up on the lift" gtfo!
Old 11-01-2019, 12:16 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
2 sides to every story
Three sides to every story.
Old 08-17-2021, 01:21 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 544 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Bud Fox
You're absolutely right. I made the mistake of allowing my excitement to take over.

The shop refused to address anything in writing but called this morning. I will speak with them this afternoon. Pretty disappointed all my invoice says is PPI $250, nothing else.

So what did they say when you called and asked them about the items they missed?

Quick Reply: Horrible PPI Experience - MVS Motors