Notices

CTMP - Victoria Day SpeedFest

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts
Default CTMP - Victoria Day SpeedFest

I am contemplating taking in some of the Porsche GT3 and Pierlli GT4 action this coming long weekend at CTMP with my dad and sons. Any recommended 'preferred' viewing areas? Preferred will be subjective but watching some pass or pass attempts would be on my wish list. Weekend weather forecast actually looks 1/2 decent for a change.

Cheers.
Old 05-14-2019, 06:32 PM
Zookie
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

Saturday is usually best and action is great at all accessible corners

ill be there as of tomorrow, working with Policaro Motorsports again this season
Old 05-14-2019, 08:06 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 479 Likes on 345 Posts

I find 5 the most interesting for spectating. Hauling flat out down 4 and then standing on the brakes for the slow uphill right is always good for excitement
Old 05-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Torontoworker
Drifting

Received 55 Likes on 24 Posts

I'll assume you haven't been to the GP track before or out of the paddock area? The great thing about CTMP is that there are many great areas to view the action and I wouldn't restrict yourself to one location. The top of corner two is fantastic as you can watch them come out of corner one, approach you and then down and round to the bottom of 2A and the run slightly uphill to corner three. The viewing at corner three (outfield) is unique as the cars come at you from 2A, round the constant radius turn at three in front of you and then exit to a slightly downhill short straight to the top of the hill at corner four. You can't drive past the top of cor 4 but they have a parking lot there and a paved path that you can walk along to get to cor 5. Its a bit steep (but short) walk to the top of cor 5 (Moss Corner). Five is probably one of the best viewing sites in all of racing. With the trees trimmed over the last few years you can now see all the way up to station 6 on the long uphill climb of the Andretti straight. You'll have to get here early as the front spots by the fence fill up fast but the great thing is the hillside grass is good and the hill has four levels. Seven/eight is great if you want to see real speed. The back straight is pretty much a no go zone just from the fact of access is a hiking trail and the area is heavily forested - but you might like hiking. We do get people coming down to station 6 to visit where they can watch us trying to get the numbers board out and show black flags to cars approaching us at over 250kph. I do a lot of blue flagging here - the IMSA prototypes don't give you too much time to ID cars and get the flag out for the backmarkers!

The GT field this weekend is going to be great, especially including a local team fielding the new McLaren. Don't forget lawn chairs and 'pop' (no glass bottles!) and just in case, an umbrella as the area has its own micro climate. This past weekend (we had a regional event) that was wet and miserable so hopefully the weather improves. FYI: The 407 is almost complete to the track now if you want to spend the money - I find it the easiest/stress free way to and from the track from my place in Mississauga.

Have a great time!
Old 05-15-2019, 09:49 AM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Thanks gents - much appreciated. Looks like we're going to hit Sat/Sun - outdoor yard work will have to wait another week!! Cheers.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:29 PM
nowakm99
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Turn 5 at the top of the grassy area is my favourite spot, but hike the entire track if you’re up for it. It’s worth exploring all the different vantage points.

Quick Reply: CTMP - Victoria Day SpeedFest