Notices

Experiences with Japanese imported Porsches and 911

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 11:53 AM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Experiences with Japanese imported Porsches and 911

I’ve done some reading on what’s already on the forum but I’d like to get some stories or experiences about people’s imported Porsches from Japan. From what I gather most of them are in great shape asthetically but require significant maintenance to get up to snuff (fluids, clutch, aos, coilpacks, plugs, rms, water pump, belts and ims if applicable).

Other than what’s noted above I’d love to read about some success and horror stories. I’ve imported vehicles from Japan before but never a Porsche and currently own a 996.

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2019, 12:06 PM
Komenda Fan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't imported a car from Japan, but having lived there, and owned a car there, I have some relevant experience. I can report that to keep a car on the road in Japan, they must be meticulously maintained. Annual inspections are very picky, so deferred maintenance isn't usually a problem unless the car has been off the road for quite a while.

I would still recommend changing all fluids whenever buying a used car, if only to baseline the maintenance schedule.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

I've worked on two 928 S4s that came from there. Mechanically they were both extremely neglected. They did have low Kms, and were in great aesthetic condition but under it all, they needed everything.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 PM
junior23
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 11 Posts

That's what I've read from a few people as well.. I'm thinking that the mechanical condition may significantly depend on how long it's been since it was taken off the road.

In regards the the 928s, granted if the price was right and budget was reserved for full maintenance and fluid changes, would the purchase be worth it?

I feel at least 50% of that maintenance would be a good idea on local vehicles too, unless there are recent records.

Thanks for the replies so far!
Old 05-10-2019, 10:53 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I was talking to someone at Mosport last weekend that just bought one (944) to use as a DE car. He never mentioned any major issues.

Quick Reply: Experiences with Japanese imported Porsches and 911