Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Higher speed limits Ontario.

FYI news

Hey
Old 05-02-2019, 07:14 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I am not holding my breath on this one, As much as I agree that our roads were designed for at least 20% higher speed limits, some group will lobby that it is unsafe and we will end up with 20% lower speed limits than we have today. We have to protect the children playing on the 400 series highways.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:42 AM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

We have put so much emphasis on road safety that we have actually contributed to more accidents and dangerous driving due to driver frustration. Reduced speeds contributing to gridlock , sooo many signs where drivers and pedestrians don't pay attention to them anymore.

Present speed limits are a farse and very few obey them and most cops (if you can find one) don't enforce 10 or 12km over anyway.

School zones should remain the same speed limit , everything else should go up by 10km and highways by 20km in the end it's just a few mph anyway and will greatly assist in moving things along. The province has allowed driving ability and common sense to deteriorate to such a low level due to lack of education and **** poor driving exams that teach no real world skills that no matter what they do moving forward , accidents and fatalities will continue to rise ....Just look at drinking and driving .......
Old 05-02-2019, 11:15 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

I would be for 120Km/h on the 400 series highways outside of the GTA (how much is left? Not much). I would limit the speed of transport trucks to the 100 km/h that they are currently limited to. When I worked at the Ministry of Transportation, they had good data to show that an increase of 10km/h doubled the chance of injury causing accident.

What is really needed is not enforcement of speed, but enforcement of "keep right except to pass". In my mind, that is what causes the lane changes, undertaking, and aggressive driving that results in accidents. In the UK, they will ticket you for using the CENTRE lane if the slow lane is empty. Imagine that here?
Old 05-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

We already have a de facto 120 kmh limit. Within the golden horseshoe the limit is meaningless, except at 3am, because traffic doesn't move anywhere near that anyway. I have no problem with them raising the limit, but my sense is this is just a distraction from the outrageous BS this government is currently pulling elsewhere.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:41 AM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

But won't someone think of the children!

There isn't a hope in hell of this ever happening, I'm not biting.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:47 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

What's the practical change? You'll never get a ticket for doing 120-125 on the 401 anyway...

I don't think this means it'll raise the threshold to 140...
Old 05-02-2019, 12:24 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by strathconaman
I would be for 120Km/h on the 400 series highways outside of the GTA (how much is left? Not much). I would limit the speed of transport trucks to the 100 km/h that they are currently limited to. When I worked at the Ministry of Transportation, they had good data to show that an increase of 10km/h doubled the chance of injury causing accident.

What is really needed is not enforcement of speed, but enforcement of "keep right except to pass". In my mind, that is what causes the lane changes, undertaking, and aggressive driving that results in accidents. In the UK, they will ticket you for using the CENTRE lane if the slow lane is empty. Imagine that here?
What they actually needs to do is start failing 80% of the newly licensed drivers that are actually causing more danger to others.

Bribing is quite rampant...

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/drivetest...fraud-1.436954
https://www.citynews1130.com/2015/05...test-examiner/

Speed limit in France & Italy - 130km/h.
Old 05-02-2019, 01:08 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

i agree with both points above ...

the left lane lurkers are the biggest problem in Ontario as they casue aggresive driving.
Most times when i go by it looks like a " newly licensed driver" ( not "young" ) . or someone from where they are used to riding bicycles or cows for transport sitting crouched over the wheel who cant even see in the rear view mirror to see what they are causing.
hand over a few thousand dollar tickets for this and i will be happy.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:21 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Lots of good stuff here: http://www.safespeed.org.uk/speedlimits.html

Most people, the 85th percentile, drive to their comfort level and would not drive at 180 if the speed limit was 150.

401 should be 130 or 140. School zone etc. as is. And enforce it.

100 is slow, boring as hell and contributes to driver inattention.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:28 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
i agree with both points above ...

the left lane lurkers are the biggest problem in Ontario as they casue aggresive driving.
We need better education and enforcement of the rules of the road that keep traffic moving.

Germany, Italy, England...just about anywhere in Europe I've driven understands that the left lane is for passing. I'm not sure I've ever seen a car dawdling in it or holding people up.

It's just a lovely experience to drive over there. They take pride in driving well and moving along at a brisk but responsible pace.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:28 PM
2RedPorsche
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Speed limit in France & Italy - 130km/h.
Exactly! I've driven in France many times and it's 130km/hr or 110km/hr in the rain. Seems to work perfectly but they understand what the left lane is for there.
Old 05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 280 Likes on 159 Posts

I lose my mind with left lane lurkers. My personal approach on the cottage commute on 35/115 is to match the speed of the left lane lurker. You should see people lose their mind. They just don’t get it.

How about stopping at stop signs. At least monthly on the way to the in-laws, I do not have a stop sign but the cross street does. How many times I must slam on the brakes because the Audi/VW/BMW driver figures he can roll through his stop sign because the other guy will stop.

a$$holes

Stop signs mean stop.
Old 05-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Well, let's hope for some common sense improvements here and maybe we will see 120.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Brian 162
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't forget the left lane lurkers that you're stuck behind that speed up just as you get the chance to go around them on the right. They should deal with the left lane lurkers before raising the speed limit. I now just stay in the right hand lane, you'd be amazed how much quicker it is.

Quick Reply: Higher speed limits Ontario.