Any 996 experts in St.John's?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 04:22 PM
JDMricer
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any 996 experts in St.John's?

Hey guys, new here, nice forum.

I recently sold my 93 Toyota Supra which I built essentially the ground up. Now that I have some free space, I'm considering options again and one of the cars I've always had my eye on is the 996 Turbo. Full discretion, I'm a gear head but have absolutely zero experience with Porsche period. Never owned one, never worked on one, never driven one, never even sat in one. I've been eyeballing an 03 Turbo for a while now, it's located in Saint John's NF. Problem is that I'm about 24 hours away in New Brunswick and don't want to fly out to get the car only to find out that it's not as advertised. To compound the problem, I'd argue the owner of the car knows minimally more about Porsche than I do and substantially less about cars in general, not a problem if this was a dealer maintained, all original car, but it is modified. The owner doesn't seem to comprehend some of the basic questions I'm asking and gets offended easily, he can't be bothered to take more pictures of the car which doesn't help either. I'd normally walk away at this point but for some reason, I keep coming back to it and despite the frustrations with dealing with him, if the price is right, I'd still consider moving forward.

That being said, I'd be substantially more comfortable flying out if someone was first able to look at the car on my behalf. I know it's a long shot but what's the chances there are any 996 experts on here from the St.Johns NF area? Depending on your level of knowledge and the amount of information you can provide, I'd be willing to pay for your time. By the off chance that there is, than I'm guessing you'll know the car I'm talking about.

Additionally, I'd appreciate any help or guidance on this car or buying a used 996tt that anyone can give me.

Thanks gents! I appreciate your time.

-Pat
Old 03-29-2019, 07:11 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

Buying a car from a distance, just plain sucks! I don't think there is a "Porsche" dealer in St Johns? I think BMW and MB have dealerships there? Try calling them and ask for a referral to a local autobody shop. Offer to pay the autobody shop for an hour of their time. Have the owner bring the car to the shop for a look. A professional autobody shop can spot damage from a block away. Even if you can't. Most big citys have professional mobile auto inspectors. I wonder if there is one in St Johns? Doubt it.
Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 PM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 256 Posts

Hey Pat,
Acadia Region PCA does have a rep in NL, I believe in the St John's area. PM me with your contact info and I will see if I can get you guys hooked up. He may be able to help.

Joe
Old 04-01-2019, 09:26 AM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDMricer
By the off chance that there is, than I'm guessing you'll know the car I'm talking about.

-Pat
Hi,

No expert here but I'm in St John's. Are you looking at the black "over 1000 HP" car that has been for sale here for the past couple of seasons?
Old 04-01-2019, 09:48 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,172 Likes on 840 Posts

Be careful of buyers who plead total mechanical ignorance.
It is a tactic of people selling cars with issues as well as flippers
Not saying that is the case but go in with eyes wide open
" i didnt know it burned a litre every 500km. Im not mechanical and just had people do that stuff for me as i know nothing about cars"
Old 04-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Considering the amount of $ you are going to be dropping on a car like this, if I were you, I would not hesitate to fly out at look at it, have a shop already lined up to do the PPI if the car looks and drives good and then, decided to buy it or not. Since you know your way around a wrench, working on one of these engines is not really that much different than any watercooled DOHC engine.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:09 PM
JDMricer
4th Gear

Originally Posted by red996
Buying a car from a distance, just plain sucks! I don't think there is a "Porsche" dealer in St Johns? I think BMW and MB have dealerships there? Try calling them and ask for a referral to a local autobody shop. Offer to pay the autobody shop for an hour of their time. Have the owner bring the car to the shop for a look. A professional autobody shop can spot damage from a block away. Even if you can't. Most big citys have professional mobile auto inspectors. I wonder if there is one in St Johns? Doubt it.
Thanks for the advice! I'm more looking for a mechanical inspect then body though.

Originally Posted by JTT
Hey Pat,
Acadia Region PCA does have a rep in NL, I believe in the St John's area. PM me with your contact info and I will see if I can get you guys hooked up. He may be able to help.

Joe
That would be fantastic, I will indeed do that, thank you!

Originally Posted by TargaPaul
Hi,

No expert here but I'm in St John's. Are you looking at the black "over 1000 HP" car that has been for sale here for the past couple of seasons?
Hi, indeed that sounds like the one, has it been for sale that long? I've only seen it on KIJIJI since around December I think but definitely could be longer from the sounds of things...Anything I should know? Feel free to PM if you aren't comfortable putting it on here.

Originally Posted by theiceman
Be careful of buyers who plead total mechanical ignorance.
It is a tactic of people selling cars with issues as well as flippers
Not saying that is the case but go in with eyes wide open
" i didnt know it burned a litre every 500km. Im not mechanical and just had people do that stuff for me as i know nothing about cars"
Good point, I totally do that haha!

Originally Posted by Imo000
Considering the amount of $ you are going to be dropping on a car like this, if I were you, I would not hesitate to fly out at look at it, have a shop already lined up to do the PPI if the car looks and drives good and then, decided to buy it or not. Since you know your way around a wrench, working on one of these engines is not really that much different than any watercooled DOHC engine.
Yeah I'd still be flying out to give the final say and buy the car. I'd just feel better if someone could check it out before I waste a thousand bucks or so on flights.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:47 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Hi, indeed that sounds like the one, has it been for sale that long? I've only seen it on KIJIJI since around December I think but definitely could be longer from the sounds of things...Anything I should know? Feel free to PM if you aren't comfortable putting it on here.
There has been a black 996 turbo that pops up for sale for at least the last 2 spring/summers if not longer......."more mods than can be listed in this ad..........POSITIVELY no test pilots......a steal considering how much has been invested......blah,blah,blah"
Old 04-01-2019, 01:09 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

Thanks for the advice! I'm more looking for a mechanical inspect then body though.
There is an old school mechanic here that works from home now. He worked all his life as a professional mechanic on Volvo's, MB's, BMW's and Porsche's. Use to do crew for some of the Targa Newfoundland Porsche's. IMHO he is the best Porsche mechanic on the island. If you proceed with it I'm sure he would look at it for a fee.........but I don't think the guy that owns it is going to take it to a mechanic and let him poke around????
Old 04-01-2019, 01:20 PM
JDMricer
4th Gear

There has been a black 996 turbo that pops up for sale for at least the last 2 spring/summers if not longer......."more mods than can be listed in this ad..........POSITIVELY no test pilots......a steal considering how much has been invested......blah,blah,blah"
There is an old school mechanic here that works from home now. He worked all his life as a professional mechanic on Volvo's, MB's, BMW's and Porsche's. Use to do crew for some of the Targa Newfoundland Porsche's. IMHO he is the best Porsche mechanic on the island. If you proceed with it I'm sure he would look at it for a fee.........but I don't think the guy that owns it is going to take it to a mechanic and let him poke around????
Sounds like the car and the guy selling it. You're right though, the guy will make this difficult for sure. Will have to put some thought into how to proposition that. If there are any old threads around with info about the car, maybe a user name on here? I'd love to know more if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Old 04-01-2019, 01:51 PM
TargaPaul
Instructor

While no expert in Porsche's......I've been around Targa NL since about 2005 and Solo2 since the same time.....I can go look at for you if you want.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

If this was such a great deal the car would have been sold by now. On the market for 2 years is not a good sign. Is the seller willing to let a shop inspect it properly? Oil filter inspection, borescoping the cylinders and so on?
Old 04-01-2019, 03:33 PM
JDMricer
4th Gear

While no expert in Porsche's......I've been around Targa NL since about 2005 and Solo2 since the same time.....I can go look at for you if you want.
Thanks! I appreciate the offer, I'll keep you in the loop if I move forward.

Originally Posted by Imo000
If this was such a great deal the car would have been sold by now. On the market for 2 years is not a good sign. Is the seller willing to let a shop inspect it properly? Oil filter inspection, borescoping the cylinders and so on?
You're absolutely right, that's why I'm here questioning it. Car might not even exist at all, there is still a possibility of that.
There's a couple of other possibilities as to why it's been for sale so long.
#1-Seller is a difficult to deal with. -I can vouch, this is definitely true.
#2-NFLD 996 Market is not strong. -Likely also plausible.
#3-Car is a POS or has major problems. -Definitely plausible.
#4-Any combination of above.

I'm going to reach out about an inspection and see what he says.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:21 PM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 311 Likes on 214 Posts

No way I would touch a 996tt with over 1,000 hp. The mods would be crazy and it would be a ticking time bomb.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Newfie911
Advanced

Hey Pat, I live in St. John's..........well ,Ottawa too, but I am back there every couple of weeks, I have never seen this car for sale and I cruise the local ads quite often. I'm a PCA member and hang with the local PCA region guys on a regular basis. Have never seen it around. I'm also a former 996 Turbo owner. If still interested I'd gladly check it out for you. I have a Durametric Pro and can also scan the car for you. Although I would encourage you to continue your hunt, a 996 Turbo modified to 1000HP would scare the **** out of me........wouldn't even consider it. But if that's your "cup of tea" and has been properly built......have at 'er.

As mentioned in a previous response, there is only one guy around St. John's I would trust to do an in-depth inspection of this. He has worked on my cars over the years when required. He travels for work the last several years and has very limited availability when he is at home. He picks his work these days when available. Extremely knowledgeable, old school guy. Having said that, if I can help you out let me know. If you have a link for the ad please send it too me, it may jog my memory.

I haven't been looking at the 996T market in a few years but are they that hard to find? I sold mine last year to a guy from the Yukon, he flew down on Boxing Day to Ottawa, put snow tires on it and drove it home....lol. Awesome trip he said!!!

If nothing else PM your contact info and if I come across anything in Ontario I'll let you know.

Kevin

Quick Reply: Any 996 experts in St.John's?