2018 Panamera ST eHybrid

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:47 PM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2018 Panamera ST eHybrid

Hello everyone,

Looking to join the Porsche scene and am in the market for a 2018 Panamera Sport Turismo eHybrid. Given we are well into 2019 with 2019 Panameras hitting lots and with many 2018s still in inventory, I was expecting to get a larger discount than what I've been offered so far. It seems like anything more than 10% is damn near impossible and in my opinion, does not justify buying a 2018 over a 2019 given the implied depreciation of a "one year old car".

Sales reps talk up the prestige/limited availability/protecting the brand etc but I don't buy that. At the end of the day, there is also supply and demand and the demand isn't clearing Canada of 2018 Panameras. From what I understand, Porsche Canada (?) is only helping dealers with up to $3K discount matching (dealer gives discount and Porsche Canada matches with similar up to $3K). Maybe April will bring better opportunities? I'm patient enough.

In the US, buyers are getting just shy of $50K USD off $180K USD MSRP turbos. Now we're talking! Unfortunately, it seems like similarly sized discounts are out of reach in Canada.

Can anybody shed some light?
Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 89 Posts

Less supply/sales in Canada means dealers are less likely to be willing or able to discount. If you make an offer and they won't accept it, it means it's too low to make sense for them. I'd be shocked if you can get 10% off a new car. You might have better luck dealing on an in-stock car but most of those will be loaded with $20k in extra extra options. Often you are better to order a new car with your options with a smaller discount.

Don't forget that that used 180k USD discounted is still $175 CAD.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Loess
Less supply/sales in Canada means dealers are less likely to be willing or able to discount. If you make an offer and they won't accept it, it means it's too low to make sense for them. I'd be shocked if you can get 10% off a new car. You might have better luck dealing on an in-stock car but most of those will be loaded with $20k in extra extra options. Often you are better to order a new car with your options with a smaller discount.

Don't forget that that used 180k USD discounted is still $175 CAD.
A few years back, my father managed 25% in discounts on a factory ordered S Class; I was floored. I was able to get over 10% off my 2014 BMW 5 Series when I purchased in February 2015;.Seems like a completely different game with Porsche.

You're right about the CAD/USD conversion. That being said, within the currency, large discounts are being managed.

You're also right about being better off ordering a bespoke build with a smaller discount or even just taking a 2019 off the lot with a smaller discount. That's the way things are moving me towards.

Definitely looking to wait until April to see if things become more favourable for a 2018. I'll make my final decision then.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:31 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Received 135 Likes on 101 Posts

...not exactly a ST ehybrid. Porsche Edmonton is listing this ST 4 at around 7% off

https://edmontonporsche.ca/inventory...tallic+1713495

Dealer is going to have a hard time getting rid of this one at such ridiculously low discount
Old 03-15-2019, 03:01 PM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bobblehead
...not exactly a ST ehybrid. Porsche Edmonton is listing this ST 4 at around 7% off

https://edmontonporsche.ca/inventory...tallic+1713495

Dealer is going to have a hard time getting rid of this one at such ridiculously low discount
Yeah. Doesn't seem like much to me either given its a 2018.

Do you have any experience on what to expect on discounts for cars of the previous year?
Old 03-15-2019, 03:07 PM
bobblehead
Racer

I think dealer is simply using this situation.

If one is to custom and order 19 brand new, then pretty well $0 discount at worst; $2000 discount at most (if it's repeat customer).

Since the Panny ST is extremely low volume car and they probably don't pre-order this to sit in the showroom, therefore, if one walks into their showroom and sees this and don't want to wait, then perhaps, dealer needs just one sucker and buy it
Old 03-15-2019, 09:34 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 385 Likes on 164 Posts

Be willing to look all over the country. See if Edmonton or Calgary have any in stock...nothing is selling in Alberta right now.

Try B.C. as well...luxury car tax is hurting dealers.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Be willing to look all over the country. See if Edmonton or Calgary have any in stock...nothing is selling in Alberta right now.

Try B.C. as well...luxury car tax is hurting dealers.
Ah. Didn't know about the luxury tax in BC. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-25-2019, 10:57 AM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Made a final effort on Saturday to pull off a purchase on a local eHybrid Sport Turismo but couldn't make it work. Decided to go with a 2018 Mercedes AMG E63S Wagon /w 9K KMs on the clock.

I don't expect to get into any current configuration of a Panamera as I keep my cars for 4-5 years. By that time, I'm thinking the Taycan will be in full swing. Will look to make the move into a Taycan when its time to replace the E63S.

Thanks for the help.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:07 AM
bobblehead
Racer

Originally Posted by xBlueStreakx
Made a final effort on Saturday to pull off a purchase on a local eHybrid Sport Turismo but couldn't make it work. Decided to go with a 2018 Mercedes AMG E63S Wagon /w 9K KMs on the clock.

I don't expect to get into any current configuration of a Panamera as I keep my cars for 4-5 years. By that time, I'm thinking the Taycan will be in full swing. Will look to make the move into a Taycan when its time to replace the E63S.

Thanks for the help.

Nice. You now have the same car as me. You should be able to get that one with around $20,000 off (from new price configured) easily
Old 03-25-2019, 11:13 AM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

Nice. You now have the same car as me. You should be able to get that one with around $20,000 off (from new price configured) easily
Snagged the E63S for $40K off (MSRP + Freight/PDI + Winter Tire Setup ->Michelin Alpins) with 9K KMs on the odo.

I drive alot... 40-50K KMs per year so 9K is peanuts. Saves me the break in! Haha.
Old 03-25-2019, 11:17 AM
bobblehead
Racer

that is a huge deal. congrats. You will find our wagon is extremely rare on the road. In GTA, there are probably less than 100 roaming around. I have seen only 1 wagon since I owned mine for the last 15 months.
Old 03-25-2019, 03:46 PM
xBlueStreakx
Intermediate

that is a huge deal. congrats. You will find our wagon is extremely rare on the road. In GTA, there are probably less than 100 roaming around. I have seen only 1 wagon since I owned mine for the last 15 months.
The rarity is awesome.

Here she is.

Ok. No more non Porsche plugs!

The plan is to get a GT3 as well. To me, there is no substitute for a GT3 so I'll be back repping the brand.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:57 AM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Keep in mind you're trying to buy a Porsche in late March. This is high season, and prices will stay up until at least mid-summer. If you're not in a rush, wait till early winter to buy a car. ($0.02 disclaimer: that's advice coming from someone who used to work in used cars, meaning I'm familiar with the seasonal shifts, but not things like new dealers having to meet YE quotas, or when those YEs are, and how/when to take advantage of that.)
Old 03-26-2019, 10:13 PM
Ronan
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

My assumption is that you take a big hit on depreciation...this is not a rare 911. I have a Pana Turbo ST and was well aware that it would drop quickly...but it is fun

Quick Reply: 2018 Panamera ST eHybrid