Notices

OT - surface scratch removal

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 12:56 PM
blassy
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default OT - surface scratch removal

So have a bit of a transfer paint scratch on the wife's X5. Backed up not realizing how close I was to the Nexus scan when crossing and it didn't pick up the first scan.
Seems to be just transfer as it's white scratched into a midnight blue metallic finish.
Used toothpaste and got most of it out but there's a bit left.
It's a lease and goes back in a few months so if I can DIY it all the better. I can feel it's raised so can't be far into the clear coat.
Any further suggestions? 5000 grit sandpaper or just a scratch removal kit from Canadian tire?
Old 02-22-2019, 01:18 PM
THE REFINERY
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
So have a bit of a transfer paint scratch on the wife's X5. Backed up not realizing how close I was to the Nexus scan when crossing and it didn't pick up the first scan.
Seems to be just transfer as it's white scratched into a midnight blue metallic finish.
It's a lease and goes back in a few months so if I can DIY it all the better. I can feel it's raised so can't be far into the clear coat.
Any further suggestions? 5000 grit sandpaper or just a scratch removal kit from Canadian tire?
If the paint isn't cracked or chipped, it sounds pretty fixable. You don't need to go as aggressive as sandpaper - because you'll need to polish out the dullness left by the sandpaper anyway. Toothpaste will also leave marring.

If you don't want to go buying a polisher or equipment, you should be able to remove the paint mark using a polish or compound on a microfiber cloth and rubbing it into the smudge vigorously. Here are some polish options:

Finishing polish: Sonax Perfect Finish ($33.99 / 250mL)
https://therefinery.ltd/collections/...perfect-finish

A slightly more aggressive scratch removal compound: Jescar Correcting Compound (I could order a small bottle for you if interested)
https://therefinery.ltd/collections/...cting-compound

It'll take some elbow grease, but you should be able to get the white off of the blue. You'll probably still see some hologram-like distortion after, since you're focusing your efforts on a single spot. But the dealer shouldn't give you grief about it.

Or - a local detailing shop could make short work of it with the proper polishing equipment.

Good luck! Give me a shout if you need any more info!

THE REFINERY
Paint Correction | Ceramic Coatings | Paint Protection Film | Detailing Products
6 Carlaw Avenue
Toronto, Canada.

www.therefinery.ltd

+1.416.848.2868
info@therefinery.ltd
Follow us on: Instagram / Facebook / Twitter
THE REFINERY's YouTube Channel

Old 02-22-2019, 08:45 PM
Maples
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blassy
Go to Canadian Tire are look at the Meguiar's products, the chart below shows the least aggressive on the left to the most on the right. I would start with Swirlx and if that doesn't work then Scratchx. All of these work fine with a microfibre cloth
Old 02-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 488 Likes on 365 Posts

+1 on Meguires they make some great products and do a lot of R and D.

Quick Reply: OT - surface scratch removal