Notices

Photo radar makes comeback this year - More tax collecting

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 03:25 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by JimV8
Anyways it’s a huge waste of money and there’s a much better solution as the Mexicans figured out being short of money and high on ingenuity and that’s Topes (aka) speed bumps. Those are placed near pedestrian crossings and on highways at villages. Traffic has to slow almost to a halt lest one wishes to leave an axle behind. It has a marvellous calming effect and gives pedestrians a fighting chance.
I agree speed bumps could be used more, especially at stop signs. I was just in Bogota over the holidays and they have installed pedestrian over passes all over the city, brilliant idea to keep the cars and people apart.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:42 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I agree speed bumps could be used more, especially at stop signs. I was just in Bogota over the holidays and they have installed pedestrian over passes all over the city, brilliant idea to keep the cars and people apart.
Speed humps are not the answer in this part of the world. the ploughs would pluck the humps out in an instant, transit routes should not have them and neither high volume roads/streets. Speed humps are band-aids. The road needs to be properly designed for the posted speed limit (on street parking is a great way to slow traffic down). All-way stops are not an effective way of slowing traffic down as cars will speed up between the stop signs and bring the average speed up more than without the all-way stops. Dropping the speed limit on a street that wasn't designed for it just turns law obeying citizens into criminals. The police, in the neck of the woods, refuses to enforce the Council directed 30km/h school zones as they feel it is a stupids move made by politicians that went against the recommendations of city hall professionals. Also, the perception of people speeding is usually attributed to the noise of the vehicle. Time and time again data was collected when residents were complaining of speeding and showed that the 85th percentile speed was at or near the speed limit (less than 5km/h over). 85th percentile speed is where 85 percent of the traffic travels at or below that. The real solution would be to force parents not to drive "little johnny" to and from school.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:47 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I was just in Bogota over the holidays
Are we going to be seeing you on the next episode of Airport Security:Columbia" ?
Old 01-14-2019, 05:45 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by wc11
Are we going to be seeing you on the next episode of Airport Security:Colombia" ?
Not this time, I made it back.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:20 AM
Mark Lue
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by wc11
700 locations could get cameras .
Fines could range from $21 for going one km/h over the posted speed limit to $1,105-plus for 50 km/h or more.
Looks like they may be no grace of say +5 kph

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...back-this-year
May the Force be with the WaZe App.

Tells us where all the Stop Light Cameras are so we have to mark where the Photo Radar Cameras are.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:34 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

I guess facts don't count, otherwise they'd go after cell phone yappers instead.
Old 01-15-2019, 08:01 AM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
I guess facts don't count, otherwise they'd go after cell phone yappers instead.
Ontario just upped the ante on that one;
  • First conviction:
    • a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
    • a fine of up to $1,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • three demerit points
    • 3-day suspension
  • Second conviction
    • a fine of $615, if settled out of court (includes a victim surcharge and the court fee)
    • a fine of up to $2,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • six demerit points
    • 7-day suspension
  • Third and any further conviction(s)
    • a fine of up to $3,000 if a summons is received or if you fight the ticket in court and lose
    • six demerit points
    • 30-day suspension
Old 01-15-2019, 09:19 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

and then there is this I saw
Old 01-15-2019, 09:59 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

^looks like fake news
Old 01-15-2019, 05:19 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JimV8
Ontario just upped the ante on that one
Not stiff enough. I prefer the permanent confiscation of the vehicle, much like they do in a particular country in Europe when at the second level of DUI. No effing around there.

Guy had a fender bender in a traffic circle. Nabbed for being well above the second level of DUI. Lost his car permanently. Who knows if he had payments on it or not; his tough luck. Three months later, he committed suicide. Perfect! One less drunk on the road.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:07 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Once you live a little and come across good people in tough times, or go from good times to tough times yourself, perhaps you will feel differently about that.

i don’t disagree about stiff penalties. I don’t think we should celebrate the deaths of people who are obviously facing challenges.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:13 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BioBanker
i don’t disagree about stiff penalties. I don’t think we should celebrate the deaths of people who are obviously facing challenges.
Yeah it is always someone else's fault. What challenge was he facing?

I remember this case and another whose licence was suspended some 14+ times till the ahole killed a senator and both kids. Some people just can't figure it out.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-driving-death

Thanks to an ahole on his cell, I almost ended up in a wheelchair. Luckily for him, I ended up with a titanium nail in my leg instead.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:00 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

something seems very wrong with due process....
I think I have been wronged and I have the right to go to court and plead my case, but I wont because I cant afford the financial penalty if I lose ? I would think the supreme court of Canada might have something to say about that. Only the financially affluent can afford to go through due process ??
Old 01-17-2019, 01:03 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I think the police and guv is to blame for the mess they have created. From day 1 they shouldve had tough laws on cell phones.
Old 01-17-2019, 04:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by go-ran
I think the police and guv is to blame for the mess they have created. From day 1 they shouldve had tough laws on cell phones.
They did, it's called distracted driving and has been around since way before the cell phone.

Quick Reply: Photo radar makes comeback this year - More tax collecting