Photo radar makes comeback this year - More tax collecting

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 03:48 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts
Default Photo radar makes comeback this year - More tax collecting

700 locations could get cameras .
Fines could range from $21 for going one km/h over the posted speed limit to $1,105-plus for 50 km/h or more.
Looks like they may be no grace of say +5 kph

https://torontosun.com/news/local-ne...back-this-year
Old 01-13-2019, 04:24 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 86 Posts

Agree in concept around schools, but is that just the start?

And since they’ve been piloting it, will they have before after data to show dramatically lower speeds post implementation versus the pilot, and will they use that data for broader than currently anticipated roll out?
Old 01-13-2019, 06:25 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Agree in concept around schools, but is that just the start?And since they’ve been piloting it, will they have before after data to show dramatically lower speeds post implementation versus the pilot, and will they use that data for broader than currently anticipated roll out?

Collect data? You mean like a disciplined approach with objective data analysis and decision making? In Toronto? Not on your life. This pilot is there to warm up the electorate for a fleecing. If Council gave a crap about accidents they'd set speed limits outside school zones at higher levels determined by decades of engineering studies around North America - you know 80%, or whatever it is, of the maximum we'd go without speed limits. Nope this is strictly a revenue grab. Thanks for posting Will.
Old 01-13-2019, 06:51 PM
wc11
Race Car

It's a "pilot project" for sure.
Just like the King Street pilot project.
Old 01-13-2019, 08:32 PM
DDzPorsche
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 64 Posts

Just wait for the standard justification for expansion "if it saves just one life...."
Old 01-13-2019, 10:41 PM
Christien
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

Hold on a sec, this might have a silver lining. If there are more photo radar cameras and less police, that means only fines for the owner of the plate on the vehicle. No conviction on anyone's driving record. That means no BS insurance hikes for a conviction of 1 km/h over the limit. Waze etc. will tell us all where the cameras are so we know where to take it easy and set the cruise control at 99.

A few years ago when our cars were still on my company fleet insurance, the guy who was renewing our policy saw my record and said with all my tickets I'd be in facility insurance if I weren't on a commercial policy. Every single one of those tickets was less than 10 km/h over the limit, and none were school zones, or anything other than speeding and one distracted driving for reading an email at a red light. If this is a way of getting around the absolutely load of crap that our insurance racket is, I'm all for it.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Most municipalities already have the before data. The funny part is that the people that speed around school zones are the parents that drop off their kids. Same parents that complain about the speeding. These kids should be all walking to school.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM
wc11
Race Car

Fail to complete stop cameras, photo radar, and the crazy cops stop you for no reason and demand breathalizers thing.
Next up, cops will simply walk up and say....."Papers"....
Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Muskoka
Burning Brakes

Received 118 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Collect data? You mean like a disciplined approach with objective data analysis and decision making? In Toronto? Not on your life. This pilot is there to warm up the electorate for a fleecing. If Council gave a crap about accidents they'd set speed limits outside school zones at higher levels determined by decades of engineering studies around North America - you know 80%, or whatever it is, of the maximum we'd go without speed limits. Nope this is strictly a revenue grab. Thanks for posting Will.
^^^THIS^^^

I don't even agree with these in school zones. Many school zones have ridiculously low speed limits. Can't wait to see a ticket for going 27 in a 25...
Old 01-14-2019, 11:21 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 507 Likes on 324 Posts

Think about the children.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM
wc11
Race Car

Originally Posted by Muskoka
^^^THIS^^^

I don't even agree with these in school zones. Many school zones have ridiculously low speed limits. Can't wait to see a ticket for going 27 in a 25...

"one" ???
I suppose you could challenge the radar accuracy in court
Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
Think about the children.
+1

Unfortunately the majority of the population is more concerned with where they are going and how fast they get get there. It's the me me society.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 402 Likes on 282 Posts
Angry Toronto The Big Let Down

Toronto was once a nice place to live .....Now it just plain sucks .... Too many over crowded and patched roads , too many people and rules and rights for all and the gun play and crime is out of control... Can't wait to get out of this big city BS ...
Old 01-14-2019, 03:06 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
+1

Unfortunately the majority of the population is more concerned with where they are going and how fast they get get there. It's the me me society.
Darndest thing, I read that most of the school zone speeding is by moms in mini vans taking kids to school.

Anyways it’s a huge waste of money and there’s a much better solution as the Mexicans figured out being short of money and high on ingenuity and that’s Topes (aka) speed bumps. Those are placed near pedestrian crossings and on highways at villages. Traffic has to slow almost to a halt lest one wishes to leave an axle behind. It has a marvellous calming effect and gives pedestrians a fighting chance.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:18 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,076 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by rileyracing1
Toronto was once a nice place to live .....Now it just plain sucks .... Too many over crowded and patched roads , too many people and rules and rights for all and the gun play and crime is out of control... Can't wait to get out of this big city BS ...
+1 But I would say all of the GTA, in the last 7-10 years it has gone south big time. Every time I go away I dread coming back to this $hit hole.

Originally Posted by JimV8

Darndest thing, I read that most of the school zone speeding is by moms in mini vans taking kids to school.
1000% true, I see them every day blowing stop signs and speeding all through our neighborhood, usually on their phones too. Again too wrapped up in their own little universe to think about others.

Quick Reply: Photo radar makes comeback this year - More tax collecting