Notices

Box to put keys in to prevent signal jacking

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2020, 10:45 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you. I still assert that an on/off switch would be easier to make friends with. Anyway, thanks again.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:36 AM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by tonosity
Thank you. I still assert that an on/off switch would be easier to make friends with. Anyway, thanks again.
how about pretend some aluminum foil is your switch...wrap key in foil switch is off, unwrap key, key is on.

Old 02-11-2020, 01:11 AM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Yep, I've heard that aluminum foil works. You can also wear it as a hat!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:00 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Halton Police came to our house 2 weeks ago to inform us that a ring was targeting Lexus and Range Rovers in our neighborhood. Used DMV records to locate us. They use signal boosters and a device they put in the diagnostic port to steal the cars. They said to get a club or a device that blocks the port that is sold online. Garage is good too...but they pried my niegbour’s garage door open and stole his Lexus...
The fact that online data is so accessible, like DMW records, is down right scary!
Old 02-11-2020, 09:01 AM
GentlemanRacer
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 139 Posts

Funny, no one wants to steal the keys to my Ford.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:18 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by GentlemanRacer
The fact that online data is so accessible, like DMW records, is down right scary!
You find it scary that the police have access to DMV records?
Old 02-11-2020, 05:29 PM
sgt1372
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 113 Posts

Didn't know that this was even a "thing" that could be done.

Only park my MB SUV in the driveway now. 3 spaces taken by my sports cars, including the 911. The MB key (and door opener) is in the house about 50 feet from the car. Hopefully, that's far enough.

CA FastTrak issues a mylar pouch to cover transponders when not in use. I assume they would be sufficient to block any signal if used w/a car key too.
Old 02-11-2020, 06:19 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

On 2020 4runners, probably other new Toyota models, press & hold fob lock button while double clicking unlock button. Fob light flashes 4 times. Fob transmission ceases. To re-engage keyless entry, press any fob key (lock or unlock button)
Old 02-11-2020, 06:43 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

And *that's* what a properly designed transmitter (key fob) should do, turn off!

Why would they design a battery-powered device, that's constantly on and transmitting secure codes (until the battery dies) allowing thieves to capture them, to more easily steal your car, and not provide a switch (or some kind of key combination, described above) to turn it off?

Ridiculous. And consumers blindly go along with whatever, and spend more time, money on Faraday cage gimmicks, and hassle to block these signals...
Old 02-11-2020, 08:44 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 1,109 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
You find it scary that the police have access to DMV records?
Not just police. Anyone can walk into any Service Ontario and pay $20 for a UVIP on any car with either the plate or the VIN. That will give you a full name and city.

From that info it’s super easy to track anyone down.

UVIPS should only be purchasable by owners or persons with a signed ownership.

I have tracked cars down by this method and have even found a 928 in the owners driveway from google maps after gaining info from a UVIP.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:33 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

And *that's* what a properly designed transmitter (key fob) should do, turn off!

Why would they design a battery-powered device, that's constantly on and transmitting secure codes (until the battery dies) allowing thieves to capture them, to more easily steal your car, and not provide a switch (or some kind of key combination, described above) to turn it off?

Ridiculous. And consumers blindly go along with whatever, and spend more time, money on Faraday cage gimmicks, and hassle to block these signals...
Do you really want to follow that sequence every night and morning? To disable keyless entry at night for example.

Just put the key far enough away from where the car is parked.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:47 AM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

That scenario is not the real problem situation. Yes, you can put the keys towards the middle of the house. Not a big deal.

The problem is, when you're out, having a hacker see you walk away from your $200k vehicle, and follow to get just close enough to you to capture the code that's being broadcast from your pocket (or purse). I assert that it would be better if you could simply turn it off before stuffing in your pocket, after locking the car standing close to it.
Old 02-12-2020, 06:42 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,155 Likes on 756 Posts

That scenario is not the real problem situation. Yes, you can put the keys towards the middle of the house. Not a big deal.

The problem is, when you're out, having a hacker see you walk away from your $200k vehicle, and follow to get just close enough to you to capture the code that's being broadcast from your pocket (or purse). I assert that it would be better if you could simply turn it off before stuffing in your pocket, after locking the car standing close to it.
Yes perhaps but that scenario is more brazen. My understanding is that these types of thefts are from driveways. One person goes to the front door with a receiver to capture signal and repeat it to another who is at the vehicle which then unlocks the car. It has been caught on video numerous times.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:35 PM
tonosity
Rennlist Member

Actually, yes, the many videos you've seen are from people's security cameras attached to their homes. There are not nearly as many of these high-res camera's pointed at cars in public parking lots. And this may explain why we mostly see videos of people stealing cars in front of people's houses.

The inexpensive hardware and software (open-source, free) to build these little transceivers, that one person can use to capture the codes from your fob is readily available. The proximity functionality in newer fobs continually transmit a radio-frequency beacon, along with the codes to open your car's doors, and allow it to be started. The thief--who's observed you leave your sweet ride--only needs to stand behind you in a line, next to you in an elevator, in the booth in a diner, behind you. Then, he or she will have full access to your car, before you leave. Or they can follow you home, and steal it later, from there.

The two-person technique, I believe, is only necessary to capture the signal when you point your remote fob back to lock your car at distance--if that's how you do it. (Haven't we all?) This is the only method available when the target's fob doesn't employ proximity features.

But this is just about precautions, to avoid the *easy* theft of your car. For example, it's amazing what they can do with handguns these days. Very persuasive. You can't protect yourself or your car from every method.

Lastly, and I'll shut up: I'm always amazed at how consumers somehow justify (not just adapt) to their favorite companies products and offerings. The company slips in new technologies, for the sake of new features in an effort to be competitive, and the consumer blindly accepts them. They'll even buy more stuff to defeat the vulnerabilities of the product's new features, without complaint. Think Apple, for an example of this type of behavior. And the risks to privacy that their products introduce, and all the third-party products sold to reduce the risk of using them.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 339 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Not just police. Anyone can walk into any Service Ontario and pay $20 for a UVIP on any car with either the plate or the VIN. That will give you a full name and city.

From that info it’s super easy to track anyone down.

UVIPS should only be purchasable by owners or persons with a signed ownership.

I have tracked cars down by this method and have even found a 928 in the owners driveway from google maps after gaining info from a UVIP.
You wanted to buy that 928, didn't ya?

Quick Reply: Box to put keys in to prevent signal jacking