Notices

Box to put keys in to prevent signal jacking

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 10:14 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Box to put keys in to prevent signal jacking

A neighbour had their new Lexus SUV stolen from their drive last night.

Has anyone bought a decent looking box they can throw their fobs in at the front door that blocks signal jacking?
Old 10-31-2018, 10:16 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

google faraday pouch.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:32 AM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LexVan
google faraday pouch.
Thanks! I’ve seen the pouches but would prefer a small box I can throw all our keys in.
Old 10-31-2018, 10:38 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Thankfully I still need to insert the key and push the clutch in to start my car. #savethemanuals
Old 10-31-2018, 10:41 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Originally Posted by ggrace

Thanks! I’ve seen the pouches but would prefer a small box I can throw all our keys in.
Buy any box you want, buy pouches, line box with pouches. Done??
Old 10-31-2018, 11:32 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

Line a box with a copper mesh. That should do it.
Old 10-31-2018, 01:43 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Signal jacking = using two devices to significantly extend the range of the key fob. If your keys are kept close to the door, one person goes to the door and detects and then transmits the signal from the fob to the other device, which is being held by a person standing next to your car. Open door. Push button and turn on car. Drive away without breaking anything, breaking into the house to get the keys.....etc...
Old 10-31-2018, 02:03 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

My ski buddy has had his Lexus 470 stolen three times from his driveway in the last 18 months.
I am a terrible friend. I send him Russian kidnapper notes in that broken newspaper print.
Don't use this link https://www.fontspace.com/category/kidnap to not send them a note.

On what to do? Put your car in the garage. Get rid of the crap in there. It's for your car, not your broken lawn furniture.
Is your car insured? Who cares. It's a car. Better they take the car, than go into your house looking for the keys.

I had a situation at the dealer. I wanted to drop the car off for service with the keyless fob. I wanted them to lock the FOB in the car.
And I would pick up the serviced car with the other key fob. But you can't lock the key fob in the car. You can if you have a faraday puch, per LexVan.
Or what worked for me. Aluminum foil blocked my signal. Made my own pouch. My dealer now uses my story in their new cars sales demo. Try it.
Old 10-31-2018, 02:58 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

If your storing the car just take the battery out of the remote.
Old 10-31-2018, 04:11 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Theyre stealing Range Rovers up here every day. My Pal had 2 Chryslers opened up like that too.
Old 10-31-2018, 05:45 PM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

We had some SS cookie tins we weren't using anymore - the kind that nest one inside each other. One of them is about 4 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall. Form fitting lid. We keep the fobs in it overnight.

I tried taking the container with the fob inside out right next to my car. The car could not sense the fob being nearby and the door would not unlock. I figure that's good enough.
Old 10-31-2018, 09:48 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vetfever
We had some SS cookie tins we weren't using anymore - the kind that nest one inside each other. One of them is about 4 inches in diameter and 6 inches tall. Form fitting lid. We keep the fobs in it overnight.

I tried taking the container with the fob inside out right next to my car. The car could not sense the fob being nearby and the door would not unlock. I figure that's good enough.
Cheap and easy!
Old 10-31-2018, 09:58 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

Also don't keep keys by the front door. Thieves know this and break into houses to simply steal keys (followed by car in driveway) and purses (credit card and ID) from front doors. Faraday pouches won't help with this simple theft.
Old 10-31-2018, 11:30 PM
ggrace
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SToronto
Also don't keep keys by the front door. Thieves know this and break into houses to simply steal keys (followed by car in driveway) and purses (credit card and ID) from front doors. Faraday pouches won't help with this simple theft.
I’ve heard the opposite. DO leave them at the door so the thieves can have them and leave without coming into your bedroom to take them!

Luckily, no reports of breaking and entering. Seems to be the signal jacking.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:05 AM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 730 Posts

I’ve heard the opposite. DO leave them at the door so the thieves can have them and leave without coming into your bedroom to take them!

Luckily, no reports of breaking and entering. Seems to be the signal jacking.
Thieves don't enter a bedroom looking for keys. That's where jewelry is kept and other valuables like cash, gold etc. Mostly the master bedroom. They almost always go there first if it's a general B&E and usually during the day when typically nobody is home. Keys at door are overnight when cars are home and people are typically asleep.

Most thieves aren't looking for confrontation and prolonged visits.

I think I've mentioned on one of your threads before. Google CPTED and follow it.

Quick Reply: Box to put keys in to prevent signal jacking