Notices

48 Month Lease - Residual

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 09:08 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,184 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I agree with most leases being paid by business with write off's.
If I had the ability, I would take advantage of that.
Also, I'm sure most people over option their cars.
Really there is little value in a leather dash upon resale. Sure it's nice, but what is it worth?
If the car is 90k and you add 36k in options? The 36k is divided into 36 payment @1000 bucks.
All these shops are privately owned franchises. They do what they want, and what they can get away with.
If it were my money? Try a corporate store. They will be more in line with internal requirements.

https://www.porschecentrenorthtoronto.ca/
More inline? I doubt that. Unless internal requirements are what everybody else is doing. They play the same games on GT3/RS allocations as anybody else, possibly even worse. With that in mind, I doubt their other practices are any better.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:06 PM
Gary_M
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SToronto
With that in mind, I doubt their other practices are any better.
I'm in contact with one now. I'll be sure to relate my experience here.

Cheers!

Gary

Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 598 Posts

You could also use a HELOC and treat the purchase the same as a lease. I'm thinking about getting a new 991 and did the math recently. Low option 991 @ $130K with tax etc. Most 6 year old 991's bring at least $75K...so, at 4% interest that is equivalent to $1,110 per month all in...
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbodan
I am not an accountant but I recall my accountant saying you can't write off more than 1k /month /car on a lease with ccra as it becomes more than transportation.
My understanding is that lease or buy it would be the same. That's why I just buy. Maybe you can get the HST back with a lease because it's paid monthly?
There has to be at least one accountant here that knows. lol
Old 10-18-2018, 01:16 PM
red996
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 911 Rod
There has to be at least one accountant here that knows. lol
Hard to believe an accountant would enjoy any depreciating asset.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:46 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by red996
Hard to believe an accountant would enjoy any depreciating asset.
If a business asset you can depreciate the cost of the asset (vehicle) according to an appropriate tax deduction schedule. Maybe the 911 is a delivery vehicle. Needs to deliver more than smiles.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Gary_M
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe the 911 is a delivery vehicle. Needs to deliver more than smiles.
Now you've got me thinking: Say I start driving for Uber. In a 911 Turbo... heh

Old 10-18-2018, 09:36 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary_M
Now you've got me thinking: Say I start driving for Uber. In a 911 Turbo... heh
Would that be an Uber Black?

I've honestly been tempted to turn on the app and take some rides, see what that looks like from a Uber driver perspective. Then again I'd also like to drive a tractor trailer! The latter probably more lucrative depending on what you do.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:41 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 337 Posts

Would that be an Uber Black?

I've honestly been tempted to turn on the app and take some rides, see what that looks like from a Uber driver perspective. Then again I'd also like to drive a tractor trailer! The latter probably more lucrative depending on what you do.
you need at least 4 doors for your car to be eligible for uber.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:24 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 147 Likes on 116 Posts

More inline? I doubt that. Unless internal requirements are what everybody else is doing. They play the same games on GT3/RS allocations as anybody else, possibly even worse. With that in mind, I doubt their other practices are any better.

I sent my brother in to a Toronto BMW store for a VIP night. He drank the coolaid and ordered a new M3. It came into the dealership 5ish months later. He went in to take a peak before he paid the difference. Only problem, it had full nav, full leather, sports suspension. It had 14000 dollars of unordered equipment. The dealership asked for the extra 14k on his custom and contracted car. If he did not pay, he could reorder and wait another 4 ish months. As I refered my brother into the dealership I felt slightly miffed myself. I called BMW HO, to discuss this issue. I was told the store was a franchise and I would have to deal with the store? Then, why do we have a Head Office?
If you have a predelivery issue at a dealership, and head office defers back to the franchise. What do you need a head office for? Or even a dealership. If no one wants to take responsibility for anything? Why not just order a car online.

Amazon Amazon

Old 10-19-2018, 12:35 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
I sent my brother in to a Toronto BMW store for a VIP night. He drank the coolaid and ordered a new M3. It came into the dealership 5ish months later. He went in to take a peak before he paid the difference. Only problem, it had full nav, full leather, sports suspension. It had 14000 dollars of unordered equipment. The dealership asked for the extra 14k on his custom and contracted car. If he did not pay, he could reorder and wait another 4 ish months. As I refered my brother into the dealership I felt slightly miffed myself. I called BMW HO, to discuss this issue. I was told the store was a franchise and I would have to deal with the store? Then, why do we have a Head Office?
If you have a predelivery issue at a dealership, and head office defers back to the franchise. What do you need a head office for? Or even a dealership. If no one wants to take responsibility for anything? Why not just order a car online.
That sucks, how did they think that would pass? Wonder what the cause was. Hopefully it got sorted out in your brother's favour.

I'm speaking from actual words from a sales rep at North Toronto in addition to what I've heard in the community and comments made by a sales manager at another major Porsche dealership who lost a customer to North Toronto.

I personally had issues with an Audi dealer a couple years back on reneging on a commitment. I tried head office, they didn't want anything to do with it and kept referring me back to the dealer. I didn't pursue because we literally just had a baby and that was a bigger priority than trying to work the issue through. I think it's all intentionally set up to defer to dealers to a certain extent to limit liability on the mothership. You of course read about stories in the news where dealer issues get resolved by head office when the media gets involved.

I remember back in early 2000s, my local BMW dealer said they couldn't find my winter tires, they had stored them. Days went by without a result or explanation. I followed up with BMW Canada and the next day they delivered my tires to my office.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:06 PM
eyedoc
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm not an accountant. CRA's favourite write-off to challenge is for auto expense. A car you store in winter is a tough sell as a business asset-it's a personal asset usually. A personal asset on a business is a taxable annual benefit in lieu of salary to offset the deduction you're claiming; except post 1988, or so, the taxable benefit (principle+ interest payments on luxury cars) exceeded the depreciation loss. Always open to interpretation by the CRA. Good luck with that. Use Onami's suggestion in the purchase. HELOC will involve lower interest rate generally than lease. Be happy writing off only gas, oil, regular maintenance, and leave the auto ownership off the business as an asset asset. If on the business and car increases in value (as some may), the increased value is a capital gain and taxable-no? I may stand corrected when an accountant chimes in; this is my understanding from random audits when I was in Practice (self employed status).

Quick Reply: 48 Month Lease - Residual