Notices

Do you drive your 911 all year round?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 02:25 PM
hbear
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I’m always parked indoors in heated garages so it makes more sense to wash and get the salt/brine off vs. leaving that stuff on when the car goes through the freeze/thaw cycles. Perhaps if I had to park my 911 outdoors all the time.....but does anybody even have to do that? I don’t see any 911s out this way that are parked outside overnight (here if you have a 911, you likely have a garage).

Some people mention an undercarriage wash can push the salts deeper into areas but I’m of the thought that the benefit of getting it off is better than the small risk of pushing some deeper in. (And from that lens it’s not hard to just keep spraying and getting the salt or diluting what is residual by using more water volume).

I have a full wash bay in the garage and it’s super quick to spray it off.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by hbear
I’m always parked indoors in heated garages so it makes more sense to wash and get the salt/brine off vs. leaving that stuff on when the car goes through the freeze/thaw cycles. Perhaps if I had to park my 911 outdoors all the time.....but does anybody even have to do that? I don’t see any 911s out this way that are parked outside overnight (here if you have a 911, you likely have a garage).

Some people mention an undercarriage wash can push the salts deeper into areas but I’m of the thought that the benefit of getting it off is better than the small risk of pushing some deeper in. (And from that lens it’s not hard to just keep spraying and getting the salt or diluting what is residual by using more water volume).

where exactly do you live?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:01 AM
hbear
Racer

Alberta

why?
Old 10-18-2018, 07:51 AM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

curious since you said everyone has a garage. In Toronto, that’s definitely not the case and lots of 911’s parked outside.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:34 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 287 Likes on 198 Posts

Pics please!
Old 10-18-2018, 06:40 PM
hbear
Racer

Originally Posted by moab
curious since you said everyone has a garage. In Toronto, that’s definitely not the case and lots of 911’s parked outside.
Everybody here with 911s seem to either have an attached garage or underground garage if they live in a condo.

As for for my wash bay, nothing exciting. We have enough room in between our vehicles (can open both doors wide open without touching each other in our 3.5 car garage) so sealed concrete, some floor drains, moisture resistant paint on the walls (with same type of drywall barrier as in the bathrooms underneath), pressure washer, foam cannon, cold/hot hose faucet inside the garage, all the detailing goodies, power dryer (like the master blaster but cheaper and not needing 220v power). Functional but not anything special looking in my mind.

Matt at Obsessed Garage has a setup that is way nicer looking.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:43 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 104 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 911boy
Seriously? So we should never wash our cars? Water and air/dry cycles during wash all summer..........................
Think I'd prefer to get the salt (thats what causes problems) off my car.
All summer? They dont spread salt in the summer so not sure what that comment means. And yes, why wash it in the winter. I understand why people want to feel like they are getting it off (which they never really do) cause it makes them feel better. But as soon as you hit the road the salt is right back on. Even if its relatively dry the salt dust etc gets right back in there. Wash it you like but doubt it actually does much other than making you feel better. If you drive in the winter its just a fact of life and i just never really waste too much time worrying about it. Its not a $500k Ferrari

Well if u got the bay then i can see why youd want to use it. And as pointed out, plenty of people dont have garages and in fact just street parking is common in many parts of TO
Old 10-22-2018, 03:27 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
All summer? They dont spread salt in the summer so not sure what that comment means. And yes, why wash it in the winter. I understand why people want to feel like they are getting it off (which they never really do) cause it makes them feel better. But as soon as you hit the road the salt is right back on. Even if its relatively dry the salt dust etc gets right back in there. Wash it you like but doubt it actually does much other than making you feel better. If you drive in the winter its just a fact of life and i just never really waste too much time worrying about it. Its not a $500k Ferrari

Well if u got the bay then i can see why youd want to use it. And as pointed out, plenty of people dont have garages and in fact just street parking is common in many parts of TO
What does $ value have to do with anything? Driving a clean car makes me feel better. The longer you leave salt /dirt/grime on the car the harder it will be to clean when the time comes. I really don't see your logic.

Old 10-22-2018, 03:44 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Hell yes, especially here in California.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by 911boy
What does $ value have to do with anything? Driving a clean car makes me feel better. The longer you leave salt /dirt/grime on the car the harder it will be to clean when the time comes. I really don't see your logic.
Well i guess i dont understand your logic either. IF i had a $500k Ferrari (or a gt3rs) then i wouldnt drive it in the winter but if i had a $5k Honda (or a $40k Porsche) then i would. I like driving my car not saving it.

And as you said its all about making you feel better when you wash it. Thats cool but i dont think it really accomplishes much other then its relatively clean for a few minutes. I laugh when i see guys coming out of car washes and its starting to snow.

And washing a car when its really dirty may take a bit longer but its really not significant in the big scheme of things. You can wash your car 15 times in the winter and that is a lot more of a time suck then doing a thorough job in the spring.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:18 PM
vern1
Drifting

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Hell yes, especially here in California.
ha ha yup. well i will be there for a few months this winter so guess i will be driving it then too!
Old 10-23-2018, 12:28 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Cool

ha ha yup. well i will be there for a few months this winter so guess i will be driving it then too!
I always feel pity for those that can't/wouldn't drive their car in the snow belt during winter. You guys pay for insurance and depreciating value year round and only able to drive seasonally....and those that drives it have to own 2 sets of tires/wheels and worry about road salts, blizzards, black ice......etc....the list goes on and on.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:04 PM
Bud Fox
Burning Brakes

Received 232 Likes on 153 Posts

Life is short
Old 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
I always feel pity for those that can't/wouldn't drive their car in the snow belt during winter. You guys pay for insurance and depreciating value year round and only able to drive seasonally....and those that drives it have to own 2 sets of tires/wheels and worry about road salts, blizzards, black ice......etc....the list goes on and on.
What's the saying about a pilot that only knows how to land in perfect sunny weather?
Old 10-23-2018, 02:18 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Well i guess i dont understand your logic either. IF i had a $500k Ferrari (or a gt3rs) then i wouldnt drive it in the winter but if i had a $5k Honda (or a $40k Porsche) then i would. I like driving my car not saving it.

And as you said its all about making you feel better when you wash it. Thats cool but i dont think it really accomplishes much other then its relatively clean for a few minutes. I laugh when i see guys coming out of car washes and its starting to snow.

And washing a car when its really dirty may take a bit longer but its really not significant in the big scheme of things. You can wash your car 15 times in the winter and that is a lot more of a time suck then doing a thorough job in the spring.
My 2017 991.2 has 41,000 kms on it....I got it 23 months ago (45,000 on 17 Sq5 in same time period) so i like to drive mine too. Not really sure why you are so concerned with other people washing their cars in the winter. By Leaving salt etc on the finish all winter (always a few thaws) you run the risk of it etching into the paint and building up under the car. Rinsing it regularly is a better way to go, IMO. Plus I really enjoy washing my car....its relaxing.

Quick Reply: Do you drive your 911 all year round?