Selling My 1990 3.6 to the US?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 AM
jamesjedi
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Selling My 1990 3.6 to the US?

Hi, I am hoping for some guidance.

If I sell my motor to an American will there be any issues? I am asking due to the recent changes in trade relations with the US. I would hate to package the motor, drive to the boarder only to find that there are duties being added to the motor for the purchaser. With the demand for these engines and the exchange rate it may be a good idea to sell it in the US.

Thanks for any help.

James
Old 08-22-2018, 12:17 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesjedi
Hi, I am hoping for some guidance.

If I sell my motor to an American will there be any issues? I am asking due to the recent changes in trade relations with the US. I would hate to package the motor, drive to the boarder only to find that there are duties being added to the motor for the purchaser. With the demand for these engines and the exchange rate it may be a good idea to sell it in the US.

Thanks for any help.

James
If you try to drive it across yes you will have issues (unless the border guy is really happy that day). Any time you export something valued over 2500 usd there is special paperwork to fill out (I got the speech once last year when crossing with some wheels, but then he let me go after his rant). The trade changes do not affect used parts, only raw materials.

IMO most Americans think Canada is the moon, so be prepared to not get the same money as one that is already in the US. If you do sell it to an American, meet them on the Canadian side and let them cross the border. If your going to ship it go with a freight carrier.

Good luck.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:07 PM
jamesjedi
Pro

Thanks for the reply. I tried calling the boarder to find out more - I could not get a hold of a person that new the answer.

I have shipped and picked up many parts in Niagara NY, however I have not shipped anything as valuable as this motor. Would the new owner of the engine in the US have to pay any tax? What happens when the "special paperwork" is completed? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-2018, 09:23 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 976 Likes on 471 Posts

Thanks for the reply. I tried calling the boarder to find out more - I could not get a hold of a person that new the answer.

I have shipped and picked up many parts in Niagara NY, however I have not shipped anything as valuable as this motor. Would the new owner of the engine in the US have to pay any tax? What happens when the "special paperwork" is completed? Thanks in advance.
Its called a Fornal Entry with goods valued over $2500 usd. Sorry I have never had to do it, just got the speech that one time.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:39 AM
jamesjedi
Pro

I may just go to the boarder today. I have made many calls to the automated systems for the various bridges. Talked to one person who gave me a phone number that did not work from Canada.
Old 08-23-2018, 01:26 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 598 Likes on 291 Posts

I may just go to the boarder today. I have made many calls to the automated systems for the various bridges. Talked to one person who gave me a phone number that did not work from Canada.
I was really trying to resist this, but.... it is "border", not "boarder".

good luck!
Old 08-23-2018, 02:11 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by moab
I was really trying to resist this, but.... it is "border", not "boarder".

good luck!
Thank you. And it's "knew", not "new". Okay, I can go on with my day. Good luck OP.
Old 08-23-2018, 02:53 PM
Whiplash_89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So polite.
Old 08-23-2018, 09:06 PM
jamesjedi
Pro

That was very bad spelling. That was bad grade four spelling on my part!

I did go to the border. They said I have to use a broker. Not sure why it is that way, but there is no way around it.

Quick Reply: Selling My 1990 3.6 to the US?