Notices

OT: Golf R as a DD

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 11:07 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 974 Likes on 470 Posts
Default OT: Golf R as a DD

I know there are a few R owners on this forum. I'm curious on whether the suspension may be too stiff for daily/long drive use?

My SAAB 9-5 is close to the crusher so it's time to replace it.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-17-2018, 11:44 AM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

A few colleagues I work closely with each have a Golf R. They are quite happy with it and have been daily driving them since new. They both live in Hamilton and Georgetown respectively and often take either the highway or side roads out to our Brampton and Downtown Toronto office. No complaints whatsoever. Having said that, I am of the opinion that suspension stiffness and softness is very subjective. Some people swear by Bilsteins, but no way in hell I would ever put them on any of my cars ever again.
Old 08-17-2018, 12:22 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bcrdukes
A few colleagues I work closely with each have a Golf R. They are quite happy with it and have been daily driving them since new. They both live in Hamilton and Georgetown respectively and often take either the highway or side roads out to our Brampton and Downtown Toronto office. No complaints whatsoever. Having said that, I am of the opinion that suspension stiffness and softness is very subjective. Some people swear by Bilsteins, but no way in hell I would ever put them on any of my cars ever again.
I just went and drove it. I really like the seats and the suspension didn't seem that stiff to me. It feels much larger than it is when your behind the wheel. It did have H&R lowering springs but the stock springs are included and I would likely go back to stock if just for the increased ride height for the winter.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:42 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

5o% of Ontario roads are missing.
DD-ing? Stock stock stock.
Just bought a PCO Macan W/20 spiders.
Great ride. Though I was hesitant on the size of the set up.

Now I need to find a home for the X5. Sad to see that go.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:57 PM
bcrdukes
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
I just went and drove it. I really like the seats and the suspension didn't seem that stiff to me. It feels much larger than it is when your behind the wheel. It did have H&R lowering springs but the stock springs are included and I would likely go back to stock if just for the increased ride height for the winter.
If you do get it, do share pictures!

I was hesitate in getting one. I have never had a good experience with VW, unfortunately.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 103 Posts

I have a new 2018 GTI, manual, 17's, cloth tartans. I went for that since I could get it optioned exactly as I wanted (sparsely, which suits the car IMO).

I considered the R, but at near 400lbs heavier and 7K more, just seemed counterproductive.

So far so good, but limited miles yet.

Cheers

Matt
Old 08-17-2018, 11:31 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 516 Likes on 194 Posts

I owned a 2017 Golf R as a DD. I really liked it. It was fun, felt very quick and was amazing in winter conditions (with winter tires). It had lots of practicality and a good dose of fun. The dual clutch tranny was really great too.

In a fun car (like my GT4), I couldn't care less about "features and technology" but one thing I do look for in a DD is technology and fun stuff... like wireless Apple Carplay, surround view cameras, blind spot monitors, etc. It's just convenient and fun in a DD. The R had a bit older technology and wasn't as up to date as, say, my new 340i. That would have been it's only downfall... it wasn't bad but wasn't as feature rich as some cars. One thing that was nice is that it's about as anonymous as you can get... it looks like a Golf, doesn't sound particularly loud and doesn't get attention. In a DD, that's a good thing.
Old 08-18-2018, 07:56 AM
Greg981
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Have a base manual 2016 GTI 2 door. Great car so far. Didn't need or want 4 doors and found it very hard to find just 2. I wish the R came in 2 door versions.
Old 08-18-2018, 12:48 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

The ride is fine. Pretty cushy. Thought it was a little slow and boring. A tune might help. Great winter car. Had an annoying cel that just wouldn't go away.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:04 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

I've owned two 6MT Golf R's, even on H&R lowering springs the ride it still very comfortable.
Old 08-19-2018, 03:38 PM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jasonturbo
I've owned two 6MT Golf R's, even on H&R lowering springs the ride it still very comfortable.
Did you drive in the winter with lowering springs? I'm just concerned with ride height since my street is always the last to be plowed.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:21 AM
jman81
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I looked at the Golf R but ended up going for a 2017 A4 instead. I like that it was bigger and more refined and the price was almost the same. The quatrro system on the A4 is better than the haldex system on the Golf R. I did not want a manual for my DD so it was not a show stopper for me. The 7 speed auto in the A4 is fantastic. Once my warranty runs out I will be doing the stage 1 APR and that will bring the power up to about the same as the Golf R. Audi is a bit of a slippery slope too, now I want to get the RS5 Sportback so I can get that Porsche engine again......
Old 08-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Maitre_Absolut
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by gthal
In a fun car (like my GT4), I couldn't care less about "features and technology" but one thing I do look for in a DD is technology and fun stuff... like wireless Apple Carplay, surround view cameras, blind spot monitors, etc. It's just convenient and fun in a DD. The R had a bit older technology and wasn't as up to date as, say, my new 340i. That would have been it's only downfall... it wasn't bad but wasn't as feature rich as some cars. One thing that was nice is that it's about as anonymous as you can get... it looks like a Golf, doesn't sound particularly loud and doesn't get attention. In a DD, that's a good thing.
The 2018's .5 facelift have updated tech. We have a GTI to run around the city in and it has google maps, waze, carplay etc. Also have driver assist package with lane keep acc cruise etc. Better tech than in my '17 porsche and better than a 18 S4. It always the case with cheaper cars getting better tech within the same manufacturer.

I love driving the car and would have gotten an R was it not so 50% more expensive to lease (650 vs 450 - higher int rate, lower residual %, lower discount). My only complaint is overall build quality, its rattles galore. We've also been very unluncky with 2 tire punctures and cracked windshield in less than 9 months of ownership. Once my GTS sells we will be replacing this one too.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:59 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jman81
I looked at the Golf R but ended up going for a 2017 A4 instead. I like that it was bigger and more refined and the price was almost the same. The quatrro system on the A4 is better than the haldex system on the Golf R. I did not want a manual for my DD so it was not a show stopper for me. The 7 speed auto in the A4 is fantastic. Once my warranty runs out I will be doing the stage 1 APR and that will bring the power up to about the same as the Golf R. Audi is a bit of a slippery slope too, now I want to get the RS5 Sportback so I can get that Porsche engine again......
Ya I have been looking at the Audi's as well. The R I'm looking at in an Auto as I don't want a standard for my daily either. My problem is I can't stand sedans and I often need the versatility of a hatch or wagon, usually for picking up Porsche parts, wheels etc. I would love that sportback as well.
Old 08-20-2018, 12:03 PM
mpower1226
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I was in the same boat early this year to replace my daily Audi A4 Avant to something else. 2 cars came ahead - Ford Focus RS and VW Golf R.
Both in roughly around same price range (RS being more expensive now but i am sure they are willing to negotiate a lot more than VW), both high powered, AWD.

At the end of the day, I went with RS as RS was more fun(it really is) but build quality interior wise isnt there. That is just something you would have to accept. Whereas VW Golf R, build quality is great, better interior but overall very tame in comparison to RS. RS is more raw, more powerful and tuning potential is greater (just so long you've done your headgasket recall lol).

As a bonus, FORD performance send every RS owner with driving school at Utah motorsport park (home base for ford racing), they provide everything from prepped cars and meals. you would need to pay for accomodation and flight though. However, it was well worth it. State of Art facility, big track and tons of on track time plus skid pad exercise using Driftstick. Super fun.

I recommand Focus RS. Totally unbiased opinion! lol

Quick Reply: OT: Golf R as a DD