Notices

Renovating the Garage... Here I go!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 09:11 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Building code calls for 5/8 inch fire rated drywall and fully sealed joints to prevent gas fumes from entering the house. I think you will need to put the paneling on top of the drywall...
Old 07-18-2018, 10:25 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Onami
Building code calls for 5/8 inch fire rated drywall and fully sealed joints to prevent gas fumes from entering the house. I think you will need to put the paneling on top of the drywall...
hey Mark, I checked the OBC, as per 9.10.9.16 (3), and (O. reg 139/17, s. 104) no fire separation is required. I do have to provide an air barrier which I will do on the walls that separate conditioned space to non-conditioned space, the above room is fully spray foamed and the walls separating conditioned space from unconditioned space, I need to confirm but I believe that this is sufficient. this link might confirm that.

https://www.constructioncanada.net/c...th-spray-foam/
Old 07-18-2018, 10:41 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

Couple questions:
I assume that that those ceiling cross beams you cut and relocated have no effect on structural integrity?
Did you ever consider a roll top door because even though you raised the ceiling, the door will only go up as far as the rails are long and it looks like only about 2.5'.
Vapor barrier will be applied too before your wood?
Will the wood be finished? Shelac, varathane whatever? Like floors, it'll expand and shrink with temp and humidity.
Is there anything in the fire code for wood walls in a garage environment as obviously, wood is not fire rated. Just curious.
Old 07-18-2018, 10:47 PM
Onami
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 536 Posts

Hi Jason, I believe that garages fall under a different code. I know that we had to use 5/8 drywall in the garage to meet fire code (1/2 could be used everywhere else) and that all seams must be sealed to prevent gas fumes from entering the home. I’m sure another member with more knowledge than me will chime in. Maybe the code has changed since 2008? Project looks great so far!
Old 07-18-2018, 11:07 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by wc11
Couple questions:
I assume that that those ceiling cross beams you cut and relocated have no effect on structural integrity?
Did you ever consider a roll top door because even though you raised the ceiling, the door will only go up as far as the rails are long and it looks like only about 2.5'.
Vapor barrier will be applied too before your wood?
Will the wood be finished? Shelac, varathane whatever? Like floors, it'll expand and shrink with temp and humidity.
Is there anything in the fire code for wood walls in a garage environment as obviously, wood is not fire rated. Just curious.
yup those beams have no structural purpose at all, they actually hang off the roof joists and the floor beams just so the ceiling can be attached. I’ve actually considered a roll up door and had one priced out etc. The pictures are deceiving from top of the 7’ Door opening I have measured 5’ to the beam and the width is 5’ wall to wall left to right minus a few inches once I finish off the ceiling. Based on the garage installers (2 guys) who measured out the space the door will fit in the pocket worse case it will hang down 3-4 inches from the 7’ opening. I don’t think a vapor barrier is required just an air barrier apparently they are different lol. I will be painting the wood, they will contract and expand a bit but I doubt it will be significant. As per my research and speaking with the architects at work, no fire rating is required for a built in garage.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:14 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by Onami
Hi Jason, I believe that garages fall under a different code. I know that we had to use 5/8 drywall in the garage to meet fire code (1/2 could be used everywhere else) and that all seams must be sealed to prevent gas fumes from entering the home. I’m sure another member with more knowledge than me will chime in. Maybe the code has changed since 2008? Project looks great so far!
im hoping it dosent fall under a different code, I’ve asked a bunch of architects at work and they are all telling me that the code I referred to applies to my situation. I definantly need to provide an air barrier, maybe spray foam is considered sufficient, since this is already in place. If someone can clarify and confirm the fire separation inquiry that would be great.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:01 AM
wc11
Race Car

Received 155 Likes on 100 Posts

If your planning to heat it in any way, you should have a vapor barrier.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:29 AM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by wc11
If your planning to heat it in any way, you should have a vapor barrier.
to be honest, I’ve thought about adding heat in the form of a small gas force flow heater but most likely don’t see myself requiring heat in the garage for the winter months. If I had a true 3 car garage I would defiantly consider it, this way I could dedicate one bay to a small shop like area. But it may make sense to install a vapor barrier since it’s cheap and easy and can act as a air barrier as well in case the spray foam is not sufficient. I’m going to confirm at work today, just want to make sure that if I put up a vapor barrier, it’s not going to trap condensation where the garage wall meets the interior walls since I assume there is a vapor barrier on the interior wall behind the drywall.
Old 07-19-2018, 11:16 AM
911 Rod
Race Car

Received 303 Likes on 207 Posts

Looks like you have a plan that you have puts lot of thought into.
If you want expert advice, I'd go to garagejournal.com
Old 07-19-2018, 11:29 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Whatever roofing you are now closing in and insulating. You will need to vent the roof, as it was never designed as a closed chamber.
Here is how I think of insulation. Once the heat is through the insulation, you want it gone. It is of no use to you. While you may not have heat source, like a gas furnace, or electric base board.
Even a hot car engine will warm the garage now that it is insulated.
As above. Check fire code. For my area, 5/8th is fire code for any wall attached to living space. And "X" inches away from the lot line.
I also hate dry wall. It's heavy, brittle, and holds a lot of moisture. Moisture is difficult to heat up. I used plywood for all my garage walls.
It takes a beating. I can hang anything I want anywhere. Easy to heat up, as it is low moisture. And best of all, easy to remove if I need to make a change.
This is not my garage, but one of my favorites. Heated granite floor, field stone fire place, beer taps, and Karaoke machine. If I was single and rich? This is what I would build.
But I'm married, and tired.

Old 07-19-2018, 02:11 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Whatever roofing you are now closing in and insulating. You will need to vent the roof, as it was never designed as a closed chamber.
Here is how I think of insulation. Once the heat is through the insulation, you want it gone. It is of no use to you. While you may not have heat source, like a gas furnace, or electric base board.
Even a hot car engine will warm the garage now that it is insulated.
As above. Check fire code. For my area, 5/8th is fire code for any wall attached to living space. And "X" inches away from the lot line.
I also hate dry wall. It's heavy, brittle, and holds a lot of moisture. Moisture is difficult to heat up. I used plywood for all my garage walls.
It takes a beating. I can hang anything I want anywhere. Easy to heat up, as it is low moisture. And best of all, easy to remove if I need to make a change.
This is not my garage, but one of my favorites. Heated granite floor, field stone fire place, beer taps, and Karaoke machine. If I was single and rich? This is what I would build.
But I'm married, and tired.
So, after checking and checking with my architects here and a few of the general contractors I know, apparently the code I cited earlier applies, no requirement for fire separation, just gas barrier, which is sufficient with either spray in foam, sealed wall paneling etc. The fire separation will apply as you mentioned from property line 36" to my structure, i'm lucky I have lots of space from my neighbor, I have almost 4' to the property line at the closest area and 6' at the widest. I believe that the roof is vented via the sofit, so that shouldn't be an issue, all i'm doing to the ceiling is reinstating it the same way but instead of flat all the way through, I will have some pockets to gain ceiling height.

If I had that garage in your picture I wouldn't need a living room lol!

@911 Rod, I have been a lurker there for years haha, but I agree expert advise is defiantly there, I just find most of what is posted is US based with their codes etc.. Seems like in the US fire separation is required for most states.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Suggestion: Add a urinal. Forgot Rennlist username but someone here had one in their awesome man cave/garage. Made perfect sense -- gotta whiz but don't want your friends to inside to wake up the missus and leave spray all over the floor.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:30 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by 987981
Suggestion: Add a urinal. Forgot Rennlist username but someone here had one in their awesome man cave/garage. Made perfect sense -- gotta whiz but don't want your friends to inside to wake up the missus and leave spray all over the floor.
Waterless Urinal.... 987981 and I are just the idea guys.

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-19-2018, 06:33 PM
Jsun
Instructor

Originally Posted by BIG smoke
Waterless Urinal.... 987981 and I are just the idea guys.

https://www.amazon.ca/Waterless-2104...terless+urinal
lol, I wish.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:07 PM
SToronto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,141 Likes on 748 Posts

Know any good framing contractors?

Quick Reply: Renovating the Garage... Here I go!