Notices

Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 07:02 PM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,150 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
If you pulled out a crystal ball 6mos ago and showed me what my garage would look like I’d have called you a liar.

Even a couple months ago I told people I’d never own a non911 Porsche as my primary car. Fast forward to today - GT4 - and it’s for many of the same reasons mentioned here.

Right size
visceral
not the worlds greatest engine but you’re leaning right up against it!
buckets
connection

its a not-super-powerful but still great car. But as far as connection to the driver, it’s the greatest modern car I was able to find, so I bought it. I understand where the OP is coming from.
It is a very interesting point. GT4 is much more capable than Carrera 2 - not far off from GT3. It can blast through Sea-to-sky at more than twice the speed limit and not come close to the limit of the car. But, as you say, this is absolutely not necessary to feel and enjoy the incredible connection and precision it provides.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:06 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

I bought a Cayman S in 2007 and loved that car. Compact size, fantastic handling, great engine right behind your head, and no compromised engine placement that took years of engineering to manage. I said back then why would I want a 911 even though almost everyone at the track with a 911 would look down on it. After a couple years the lack of power and the fact that Porsche had purposely limited the car really started to bother me so I let it go. Porsche wouldn't build the car I wanted at the time (Cayman GT4). I liked what they did with the 991 cars although I know many people hate it, but I was able to get a GT3. Even better than my Cayman and not gimped in any way. Power, sound, feeling, handling. I also started to appropriate the rear engine design even much more managed now. In my opinion as a mid-engine Cayman fan it took a 991 GT3 to win me over.

A GT3 or GT4 will not challenge you or it at road speeds though but I don't really understand that idea. The GT cars will feel more connected and involved at any speed. If you want a more compromised car that is more at the limit at road speeds then let 10 psi out of one of your tires. This will be very challenging.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:41 PM
palmpalm
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 63 Posts

Interesting thoughts, guys.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:16 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

The only thing missing in the GT4 is the GT3 motor. But, consider it a miracle as it took about 15 years for Porsche to put the 911 motor in the Cayman/Boxster platform.

The 911 RSR is mid-engine now that means zee Germans realized they out engineered the rear engine position as they humanly could.
Old 05-06-2018, 10:26 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

This thread brought back memories of the golden era of sports car. It reminds me of a BMW E30 M3 that I used to own. That M3 was not a true sports car, but boy that was my soul and joy back in the 80s. I just might search for a Cayman to get that seat of the pants feeling. I'm not very familiar with the Cayman. What do you guy/gals suggest is the best year of the Caymans or the GT4.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:57 AM
TouringTeg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would love an E30 M3. They are super rare now to see in the wild.

Not easy to come by but 2 years ago I purchased a 2001 Acura Integra Type R. A true drivers car that came in manual only. Lightweight stich welded chassis with a motor that begs to be revved out on every drive. It is so much fun to drive compared to my previous 993 C4S. The ITR is a blast to drive on the track and so affordable that I may stick with it until I have maxed out it's capabilities.

Now I am looking at a variety of P cars to add to the garage. I am not sure if I will track it or not so I have to think hard about what the purpose will be. Something with more tech and comfort yet still a performer. With plenty of options it is a good problem to have!
Old 05-07-2018, 01:27 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

987 cayman s/r are fun up to 7-8 tenths... mods make them fun up to the limit... my 987 r was bgb'd with a 911 3.8 and suspension mods - it is an absolute hoot, a thrill going slow or fast... this having been said... these are narrow, short wheel base cars with a compromised rear suspension design so ultimately they hit their limits of performance... but this does not diminish their fun factor one bit

991 has a far superior (larger wider stiffer) platform and modern suspension tech - it can thrill but only at VERY high speeds... at road going speeds 95% of the time they are just boring... too competent too unflappable too protective of the driver lacking skill/coordination... i say 991's engender a sense of awe in their engineering and their capability... but they do not stir passions so well... even when I am driving them fast I feel like the car is doing too much of the work of driving very fast for me. I am at the wheel but I am spectator more than participant.

older cars are smaller, cruder, less perfect ... but their imperfections, lack of tech, lower limits make them more exciting and thus elicits driver's emotional reaction and connection -- it was said in another RL thread that these machines are just tools/instruments to stir feelings and create great stories/memories... many if not most modern sports cars seem to miss that boat

997/987 perhaps 996 (gt3) might be the sweet spot between old and new ... 991 gen clearly a bridge too far
Old 05-07-2018, 01:28 AM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

Back in the late 90s I had an Integra GSR that I tracked a lot and a friend had an ITR. That ITR was fun.
Theyre not cheap now either. Be careful - I understand that they’re also tough to leave anywhere with a hope of coming back to find you car still there!!!
Old 05-07-2018, 09:37 AM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib

997/987 perhaps 996 (gt3) might be the sweet spot between old and new ... 991 gen clearly a bridge too far
There is a big feel difference between a 996 and 997.2 as well. 997 is very comfortable, it's missing or has dulled the feel of the suspension. I just feel the grip and not all the road noise. I think with all the missing road feel it just feels less scary to drive fast not that that is a bad thing you can get used to either.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:41 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by BioBanker
Back in the late 90s I had an Integra GSR that I tracked a lot and a friend had an ITR. That ITR was fun.
Theyre not cheap now either. Be careful - I understand that they’re also tough to leave anywhere with a hope of coming back to find you car still there!!!
I think on the 981 forum some guy was complaining about tire noise... man after all these years I still remember those Integras don't have much lining in the fenders. lol.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:31 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
The only thing missing in the GT4 is the GT3 motor. But, consider it a miracle as it took about 15 years for Porsche to put the 911 motor in the Cayman/Boxster platform.
Huh? Isn't the 3.4L in the 981 (and 987.2?) the same as the base Carrera?

Ok... Saturday morning I finished the break-in on my GT3. I got on the race track with 3018 km's. OH MY GOD!!!! That thing is RIDICULOUS on the track!!!

So... as mentioned before, I still say the Cayman/Boxster is perfect for the streets but if you want to feel how the 911 steps up, you absolutely have to get to a track.
Old 05-07-2018, 02:48 PM
BioBanker
Drifting

Received 130 Likes on 85 Posts

GT4 has the 3.8L out of the S. Unsure what the new car will have as there's a ton of disagreement as to what engine the mules have (4cyl turbo, NA 6cyl 4.0L or even 6cyl turbos). I don't know enough to comment but the speculation and disagreement is hilarious.

The 3.8L from the S is a good not amazing engine in my mind. The weakest part of the GT4 (to me), but still plenty sufficient.

Agree re 911 on the track as being an emotional experience - and I cant comment from personal experience like you can but probably especially your new GT3.
Old 05-07-2018, 06:37 PM
Loess
Three Wheelin'

Received 170 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Huh? Isn't the 3.4L in the 981 (and 987.2?) the same as the base Carrera?

Ok... Saturday morning I finished the break-in on my GT3. I got on the race track with 3018 km's. OH MY GOD!!!! That thing is RIDICULOUS on the track!!!

So... as mentioned before, I still say the Cayman/Boxster is perfect for the streets but if you want to feel how the 911 steps up, you absolutely have to get to a track.
You've managed to put 3000km on your GT3 already this year? That's commitment. I've only had my car out once so far and that was excruciating because of all of the pea gravel on the road still.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:43 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Loess
You've managed to put 3000km on your GT3 already this year? That's commitment. I've only had my car out once so far and that was excruciating because of all of the pea gravel on the road still.
Yeah... I was determined to get it done before getting on the track. And I was good about it too. Under 4k rpm the whole time. Maybe up to 5k by accident a couple times but never felt the power until Saturday morning.

I did the same with my Boxster and that car was flawless the whole time I had it. Figured it was worth the effort.

The weekend before I went on a 1000 km road trip. On the highway... shift to 5th... full throttle to 4k... coast back down... 6th for a minute or two... back to 5th... floor it... the ENTIRE time.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:00 AM
.2PDK
Drifting

Received 1,203 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel

The weekend before I went on a 1000 km road trip. On the highway... shift to 5th... full throttle to 4k... coast back down... 6th for a minute or two... back to 5th... floor it... the ENTIRE time.
That's wild...

Quick Reply: Thoughts on my new to me 911 vs my old cayman s